• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

federal 1500 bungees

airwolf7ac

Yellowknife
Hey all,

I am getting ready to install new bottoms on my 1500's for my PA11. I have the plastic but need to order new bungees. Wondering if someone on here knows what diameter to order and the approximate length. I would measure the old ones but they are just reg black rubber bungees doubled up and look awful.

Thanks in advance,

Kaleb

Bungees bad. Go to Home Depot and get a medium set of garage door springs. You will be much happier.

Whatever you do get the cold weather one if you can get them ,garage door spring for 1500 is a bit overkill ,you need 1/2 dia shock cord and for the lenght it depend on your crust cutter lenght .

Hey all,

I am getting ready to install new bottoms on my 1500's for my PA11. I have the plastic but need to order new bungees. Wondering if someone on here knows what diameter to order and the approximate length. I would measure the old ones but they are just reg black rubber bungees doubled up and look awful.

Thanks in advance,

Kaleb

I have a set of 1500's that need bottoms also.....what plastic are you referring to? I would like to update these for use.

Kaleb give a call to Trickair they have what you need they use 1/2 cold weather about 20" long with locking s/s rings at the end.

I just measured mine. Total length is 39". Thats cable eye to bungee spring eyelet. 7" crust cutter and 32" bungee including eye.I get 1/2" bungees from Spruce. I don't like the hog rings they sell you, I make my own from 12 penny nails.

Glenn

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I've purchased the 1/2 in bungee and hog rings from spruce, - don't know what penny nails are so I will have to google that if the hog rings don't work out. Turns out I'm short on the HMWV plastic and can only order 1/8 or 1/4. What thickness is better? I've read 3/16th is the way to go but it would be a specialty order and more expensive. Thanks.

I put 1/8" uhmw on these skis 12 years ago, about 300 hrs and it still working fine including a bunch of no snow landings.

Glenn

Where can you get those locking bungee ends? I've been looking for them and can't find....

I have a few sets that I've acquired over the years. When your in older hangars pay attention to whats hanging on the walls, most times when the owner sees that I know what they are I end up going home with them. I once bought a set of A1500 skis that were almost totally corroded into dust for 40 bucks just to get the 4 bungee ends hanging from the rotten cords. About 6 years ago someone had 500 NOS ones on ebay, I called and tried to buy 40 of them and the owner didn't want to split them up. I called Aero Ski and tried to talk them into buying them but if I remember right they never sold.

Glenn

Is the uhmw layered against the existing aluminum bottom, or a replacement for the aluminum?

It's rivited every inch to the edge of the existing aluminum bottom. I put the skeg back on by drilling and tapping the aluminum bottom every 4 " for fine thread countersunk machine screws and locktite them

Glenn

give a call to Trickair they have it all ,the s/s locking ends ,the cold weather bungee all made up and ready to go and probably at a desent price...

give a call to Trickair they have it all ,the s/s locking ends ,the cold weather bungee all made up and ready to go and probably at a desent price...

I looked at the Trickair site. They use the open " C " shaped bungee ends ends. They sometimes unhook.

Glenn

Not anymore they use the locking one and its made of s/s ,i had both model the c shape one and now with there cold weather bugee they have the locking model

Sorry glenn for my late responce( deer hunting is taking my time ,the critter are hard to catch this year) ,they are exact same thing as yours but made of s/s ( i will need to learn how to post pic )

And the good thing about them is they are made with cold weather shock cord ( orange thread running in opposite direction of the color thread for the date )

I bought 12 spring ends, I never had a problem with Spruces bungees, but have only tested them to -16 below.

Glenn

you are probably right on this with the small skis ,but i had some touble with the wheel skis they froze on me a couple of time with no big issue but now i just put the cold weather one .

Well just to finish up my hijack of this thread.....I called Jeremy at Trickair and he hooked me up with a half dozen of the bungee ends just like the ones pictured in post #23. Made out of Stainless they should last longer than I do.....

About $7.40 ea plus shipping.....6 cost me $70US shipped to Canada

I tried to go to the trick air site but it looks pretty deserted.. The phone number listed just went to a recording that the mailbox is not set up.. I would love to get my hands on 4 or so of the SS locking ends for the bungees as my spruce POS come off at times. I spent an hour walking around the lake looking for the damn bungee that got launched on take off when I smacked a snomachine track hiding under the 4" of fresh snow.

Does anyone have any info on how to get a set of the locking ends?

AKA ,if you tried on friday they dont work,but give them a call on the other days you may get an answer ( maybe :roll: )

Back