• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

26 inch goodyears on Cessna 172 mains ?

chadronmike

FRIEND
Nebraska
Hello all,

A pilot at the local airport recently acquired a C172 with the 180hp conversion. He asked if I knew if there was an STC to mount 26 inch goodyears on the mains of a C172. He wants to put the Airglas large fork on the nose. Anyone out there have any thoughts? Thanks.

There is a plane at 9R5, Portland, Tx., exactly like that. Belongs to a kid out of Alaska, that has moved here. I will try to find out more info for you if I can. The plane is in the middle of an annual right now. Check with Wup at Alaska Bushwheels, he may be able to help you with the info on an STC. Jon

I have a set of 26" GY's that I wanted to do this exact same thing, mount them on my 172. What tire are they using on the nose? Is it an 8.00-6 or 8.50-6? I do remeber seeing an older straight tail with 31" Bushwheels on it in a picture posted on here or BCP.org.
Anyone know of a used LAndes Fork I can acquire?

Thanks for the info so far folks. AK, I can't seem to find much on 5454T? WW, he wants to go with the 8.50 on the nose. I am just trying to help him by seeing if any of this is possible--mains and/or nose wheel. On another note, it seems like I remember a thread here where there was a conversation about using (or not using) Goodyears on heavier planes like a 185. Is there any concern with this on a 172?

8:50 nose.

Goodyears have been discussed. They are larger, but really do not have any other good points...

I'd go with 8.00 x 6:00 on the nose. That gives a nice relation between the mains and nose on landing. The bigger tire on the nose means the airplane has to be landed VERY nose high every time.

the Goodyear 8.50 last a lot longer than the competition, and they're more square in profile....ie more footprint, which is what it's all about.

MTV

I believe 26" Goodyears on the mains for Cessnas require field approval. Additionally, if your friend wants to run an 8.50 on the nose, a Landis fork will have to be acquired. That STC states that the tires have to be the same size all the way around, so if your friend wants to run larger tires on the mains than the one on the nose it will also require a field approval.

The Landis fork is $2600 I believe. I am sure they can give your friend a hand with some sample paperwork. It's done all the time in AK.

Sort of a PITA for some tires, eh?

Thanks again all. This site is like duct tape--is there anything it can't do?

GB, you said it--all for some tires. Not a rant at all--just amusement. When you contrast this process with stuff you see everyday, you have to laugh. Just the other day, I was passed by an old school bus that had the top cut off and the inverted hull of a schooner (portholes intact) affixed as the top of the bus. This thing drives down the road, passing within feet of your vehicle at a pretty high closure rate--all with no limits, regs, inspections, etc. Just a wild idea, a sawzall, a drill, and some bolts. All I want to do is put on tires:)

Hello chadronmike, My son recently put an Airglas fork on his Hawk XP and had to have a field approval. I believe he said any other 172 there is a stc. He had to have 850's on all three, really had to land nose high. I will visit with him and get back to you, I think he put 29 inch AB's on it with a stc.

I've flown N5454T with the 29 ABW's and 8.50 on the nose and it works well. Nose strut inflation is important-you want enough for good prop clearance but not so much that the centering cam engages, robbing you of nose wheel steering.

Back