• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bose A20 Headset picks up engine and prop noise??

superpa18173

Anchorage
I purchased a Bose A20 headset and tried running it in my cub, but the Mic picks up so much background noise I cant talk to tower or even over the intercom with out pulling the power back to basically idle. It doesn't matter if the intercom is off or on, or if the mic bypasses the intercom all together and goes straight to the radio, an Icom A200. Any ideas on why it would do this in my cub but not other planes, like a C-207 or such? It seems to work a lot better for the passenger in the backseat plugged into the rear jacks. Thanks for any input, Ohh yeah, the guys at Bose said to buy a leather Mic cover from Oregon Aero, haven't tried that yet. Thanks, Sean.

I have that issue with my Lightspeed Zulu2 and both doors off the 170. I bought the leather mic cover and it works super, cut out all the wind and engine noise.

I like to fly with the door open. The Lightspeed seems to work ok, but other ANR do not. I have the PM501 intercom, and it did not like the DC 10-13X at all. It loves the 13.4, the 10-30, and the Denali headsets.

My buddy has a Bose, and cannot use it in his Cub. Lent him the 13.4, and he is getting one this afternoon.

...been using the middle generation Bose in lots of different Cubs...No problems at all.......

...but not a good choice in the Beaver.......

Yeah, my older lightspeed 33g works just fine in the cub, I should borrow a Bose A20 from a buddy and see if it is just mine. I was just curious to see if others noticed the same problem with their fancy Bose! Thanks for the comments guys.

I think this has more to do with ANR in certain airplanes with bad interference noise. You will notice wearing the Bose when hear radar sites you get a "whing" sound, I suspect the others are the same.

sj

The two Bose A20's in my PA-12 work great. O-320 with no muffler so plenty loud but no problem. Of course, the noise-cancelling does not apply to the mic - it will pick up a lot of noise that will be transmitted over the radio and there's not much you can do about that. Keeping the mic touching your lips will help.

I've had my Bose A20's for a year now in my cub. I've never had a problem with noise. If I have the door open and the wind hits the mic it'll pick that up but so does my passive DC's.

PS......my experience is with two sets of Bose....both working fine together and with a mix of other headsets.

Had good luck with Bose in both our Cubs. In our case, the Bose has superior noise cancelling and mic noise cancelling abilities than others we have tried. Hmmmm If you start getting a squeal, you need to replace the ear seals.

Back