• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

So..... you think building a cub from scratch is tough?

Can you imagine being the test pilot in that thing? He says it is not R/C.......

Looks pretty cool. A guy could get a multi engine rating in that thing

WOW!! Yes a Cub takes some patience but a B-17G!! Awesome!
When you think you have done a couple projects.. you see one like this.
Has anyone heard how it fly's?

WOW!! Yes a Cub takes some patience but a B-17G!! Awesome!
When you think you have done a couple projects.. you see one like this.
Has anyone heard how it fly's?

Not sure how it flies, they have a navigation problem. What ever compass heading they pick it always points toward Berlin.

Glenn

What a fantastic effort! I am looking forward to seeing some flying photos. I am surprised that he used so many pop rivets, particularly in areas which have a high amount of vibration.

100_1656 (800x597).jpgI've now made two first flights in aircraft I have built. While some have suggested it takes remarkable skill and/or guts to do such things, I don't believe that is true. Take a proven design, build it straight, get the W&B correct and keep the engine running and first flight will be a nominal non event.

The first flight in my AD2 this past Dec. was such an event.(picture above just after first flight......BTW gentleman on the right, Walt was a WW2 B17 pilot):)

That said, IMHO this 1/3 B17 is indeed a remarkable airplane.

But as a serious effort to build an actual flyable human carrying aircraft it must be one of the dumbest things I could imagine. I may be wrong but I suspect a single engine failure may result in an uncontrollable airplane considering the fixed pitch props. And like they say, 4 engines= 4 times the probability of a failure.

I wouldn't push those 4 throttles forward for anything. Nor would I even watch it's first flight or be close enough to see the smoke.

I've been reading about this thing for several years. As I recall, first flight was supposed to be in a few months for a few years. I suspect there are good reasons it hasn't flown?

If someone does try I sincerely and prayerfully hope I am wrong.

Jack

Attachments

• 100_1656 (800x597).jpg
    100_1656 (800x597).jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
I suppose there is a "safe" way to fly it? Take it to the salt flats where in the event of a failure all four throttles can be pulled and land straight ahead........................?

Oh! I ran this thing by Walt when I first heard about it and asked what he thought? He scratched his head and said,

"Not while I still have to take care of my wife"

Last edited:
I totally agree with n40ff 2 stroke engines power to the crash site. Saw one happen once, never want to see another. Schenectady NY Wood 2/3 P-51 with a small block Chevy Sept 23, 2008

I totally agree with n40ff 2 stroke engines power to the crash site. Saw one happen once, never want to see another. Schenectady NY Wood 2/3 P-51 with a small block Chevy Sept 23, 2008

I've owned over 20 SBC, even had one that would turn 8500 rpm. Don't remember mixing oil in the gas Skippy

Glenn

Back