• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Masking Circles

coxcub

PATRON
Devon, England
Looking for advice on how best to mask concentric circles from the paint gurus out there ..........

I have to paint UK air force roundels on my 'other plane' (Fairchild UC61 Argus 3) and am soliciting opinions as to whether to use adhesive masking film stencils or 3M fine line tape.

The problems I have is that I am finding it difficult to obtain a Film material that is not attacked by Polytone and achieving accurate circles with the tape.

Any advice/tips on which method is best/easiest and on the make and availability of a suitable masking film or taping technique for circles will be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

Frank

I'm no guru but when I need something special I go to the vinyle sign people, they ca n plot and cut anything and any size depending on the plotter, many have painting mask or equal,low adhesion mask short term

you may have mask over the template to protect it, use high grade mask like 3M Scotch 233 ,experiment

Ex-wife used to paint signs as a part time job. She used some stuff called Tuffback, got it from an Art Supply store. A tough paper with a sticky back. She would just cut it with scissors and stick it down. Don't know if it would work for your specific application, but it is an option to experiment with. Might work, might not. Just a thought. She would stick it down, draw letters on it, then cut them out with a Number 11 xacto knife, for circles she would draw the circle on the Tuffback, cut the circle out and stick it down. She would then paint over it, then peel the Tuffback off, and would have a perfect razor-edge line. Used by sign painters, artists, etc., with good results. Worth a try if all else fails.

cut a pattern & stick it in place. use some 1/4" tape to go around the pattern (maybe 3/8 tape if the diameter is big enough), then tape up to that with 3/4 & mask as usual. if the circle is really small you may need to go 1/8" tape... all you can do is try it and see. I've done some that were so tight that 1/16" tape was the only thing that would make the turn. either fine line of crape is ok as long as you use a quality tape. if you use fine line/vinyl tapes be sure to tack coat them before doing a wet coat because sometimes paint will run off the slicker surface. never set a roll of tape down on anything other than it's storage bag or a totally clean (something), the edge of roll will pick up bits & pieces of hair, metal, fuzz, etc. that cause disruptions in the lines. if you have money, somebody can cut you a stencil.... it may or may not be as good as you can do on your own. in any case, a quality job takes time.

Thank you everybody

Looks like the way to go for a 'professional job' is a vinyl stencil cut in a graphics shop. I see problems marking out perfect concentric circles on a less than flat surface as well as trying to get tape to lie down on the lines perfectly.

So........... Vinyl stencil it is.

Frank :smile:

Back