Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: J-3 Cub Service Manual

  1. #1
    DesperadoPilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Brazoria, Texas
    Posts
    412
    Post Thanks / Like

    J-3 Cub Service Manual

    Ran across this online, a 1941 Service Manual for a J-3 Cub, thought I would pass it along to those who may not have one.
    http://www.eaglesport.org/documents/cub_service_manual.pdf


    A j-3 Cub Parts Manual:
    http://www.eaglesport.org/documents/...rts_manual.pdf

    Also a 1946 J-3 Cub Owners Manual.
    http://www.eaglesport.org/documents/...nual_piper.pdf

    More stuff where this came from at this link:
    http://www.eaglesport.org/cub_links.php
    Last edited by DesperadoPilot; 08-31-2013 at 01:09 PM.
    I fly IFR (I Follow Roads).

  2. #2
    Ruffair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lower Chena
    Posts
    1,254
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks 4 posting this.
    kem

  3. #3
    Darrel Starr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Plymouth, MN
    Posts
    2,524
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I just copied them for a friend who has a J-3C 65.

  4. #4
    Lisa Martin LMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you! I have a J3 w/ O-200A in the hanger of the house I'm renting and I am working on annual inspection squawks. Two questions:
    1. Should there be inner cylinder baffles? There are none.
    2. It needs a new propeller. The owner is asking if he can use the 1A100 MCM6950 off his C150. Does anyone have a field approval for this model? Even so, does the pitch make it pretty useless? He bought "big" 26" ABW tires because he wants to go backcountry with it (in North Idaho).
    Last edited by LMartin; 07-29-2022 at 11:31 AM.

  5. #5
    Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    At Work.....
    Posts
    2,001
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LMartin View Post
    Thank you! I have a J3 w/ O-200A in the hanger of the house I'm renting and I am working on annual inspection squawks. Two questions:
    1. Should there be inner cylinder baffles? There are none.
    2. It needs a new propeller. The owner is asking if he can use the 1A100 MCM6950 off his C150. Does anyone have a field approval for this model? Even so, does the pitch make it pretty useless? He bought "big" 26" ABW tires because he wants to go backcountry with it (in North Idaho).

    I keep telling him to go with the prop listed on the STC. He won't listen to me, because he wants to save money. Sad truth about aviation, small mistakes sometimes cost a lot of money. We all need to be prepared to trot out our checkbooks. I'm getting tired of being an A&P

    1. Should there be inner cylinder baffles? There are none. - No
    2. The owner is asking if he can use the 1A100 MCM6950 off his C150 - It would not make a good prop for his intentions even if it was approved. There are much better props....The best ones are not approved. I personally think for a C-90/O-200 that the best prop is the Sensenich 76AK-2 40.... If you want it to pull hard and go slow. Installation on a J3 is not approved, but it is approved for the engine... Go figure.

    I'm getting tired of being an A&P...... I get it....
    Likes Brandsman, BC12D-4-85 liked this post

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NW Mn
    Posts
    81
    Post Thanks / Like
    Grant, thanks for posting this info. I have a J3C-65 with a C 90

    Mike Syverson

  7. #7
    BC12D-4-85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK.
    Posts
    3,692
    Post Thanks / Like
    TCDS 1P2 approves the 76AK-2-40 for the A65-C90. I've had mine on a PA-11-90 and Taylorcraft C-85 Stroker (via Field Approval/C90 equivalent) and it does pull well on skis and floats. Has a wider blade chord than the Sen CK series I believe.

    Gary

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Upper Peninsula of Michigan
    Posts
    809
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have that 76AK-2-40 on my C90 Taylorcraft…in full agreement. It’s the prop for that set up

  9. #9
    cubdriver2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    11,263
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    TCDS 1P2 approves the 76AK-2-40 for the A65-C90. I've had mine on a PA-11-90 and Taylorcraft C-85 Stroker (via Field Approval/C90 equivalent) and it does pull well on skis and floats. Has a wider blade chord than the Sen CK series I believe.

    Gary
    Side by side the Mac 1B90 7440 pulls a little harder

    Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes LMartin liked this post

  10. #10
    BC12D-4-85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK.
    Posts
    3,692
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^Yes. Dominion Propeller in Anchorage told me the same thing. Some better.

    Even better> https://www.sensenich.com/shop/aircr...tol-propeller/

    Gary
    Likes LMartin liked this post

  11. #11
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    21,958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lisa, pick your customers. Some will cost you money. Lots of askholes out there. I have learned a lot about vetting who I work for over the years.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes wireweinie liked this post

  12. #12
    Lisa Martin LMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    1. Should there be inner cylinder baffles? There are none. - No
    2. The owner is asking if he can use the 1A100 MCM6950 off his C150 - It would not make a good prop for his intentions even if it was approved. There are much better props....The best ones are not approved. I personally think for a C-90/O-200 that the best prop is the Sensenich 76AK-2 40.... If you want it to pull hard and go slow. Installation on a J3 is not approved, but it is approved for the engine... Go figure.

    I'm getting tired of being an A&P...... I get it....
    I was nosy…Fleming Field KSGS? I spent a month or two there this spring working with Jeff Hauck for Dauntless. In fact, I go to Fairbanks tomorrow and finish the BLM contract with Jeff. Thanks for the help.



    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Thanks mixer thanked for this post

  13. #13
    Lisa Martin LMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Lisa, pick your customers. Some will cost you money. Lots of askholes out there. I have learned a lot about vetting who I work for over the years.
    Thanks. This was supposed to be quick because it hasn’t flown. Maybe the last several annuals were quick. My Cubs have a back plate under the brakes. This one doesn’t. Is it an option? The floorboard is breaking out around the brake.


    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

  14. #14
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    21,958
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is in the parts manual and the drawings.

    Well, maybe not on the J3.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  15. #15
    Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    At Work.....
    Posts
    2,001
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LMartin View Post
    I was nosy…Fleming Field KSGS? I spent a month or two there this spring working with Jeff Hauck for Dauntless. In fact, I go to Fairbanks tomorrow and finish the BLM contract with Jeff. Thanks for the help.
    Yep - Thats me. Jeff is good people. Super talented. Let me know if you are ever back in town. Plenty of fun flying around here. Are you flying for Dauntless or bending wrenches?

  16. #16
    Lisa Martin LMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Yep - Thats me. Jeff is good people. Super talented. Let me know if you are ever back in town. Plenty of fun flying around here. Are you flying for Dauntless or bending wrenches?
    I fly chase planes to wrenches.


    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

  17. #17
    Lisa Martin LMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have a field approval for a McCauley 1B90/CM on a J3C-65 with a Univair STC’d O-200A? My FSDO is telling me I need a previous field approval as evidence for getting this field approved. 🤷*♀️


    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Similar Threads

  1. J3 Service Manual
    By SKJ in forum Everything Else (formerly:My Other Plane Is A....)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-03-2013, 09:58 PM
  2. PA-18 Service Manual
    By Jim Miller in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-24-2005, 09:46 AM
  3. PA-12 Service Manual
    By Fortysix12 in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2003, 10:51 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •