• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

150 HP Vs 160 HP

N197BC

KALB
Does anyone know what the process would be to convert the 0320 from 150 HP to 160 HP? Is there an STC?

S:-?

On your mag thread you said your engine is a 0-320-B2B. That is a 160 HP, usually converted from a A2B. Check your log books.

I think (and others would know) that this is done IAW the Lycoming parts manual and OH manual. If your engine has all the correct part #'s to make it a 160 then it is a 160. I believe the narrow deck required new case studs, hold down plates, pistons, and some possible changes to the front crank journal area.

I think (and others would know) that this is done IAW the Lycoming parts manual and OH manual. If your engine has all the correct part #'s to make it a 160 then it is a 160. I believe the narrow deck required new case studs, hold down plates, pistons, and some possible changes to the front crank journal area.

Yes, I made a mistake it is 0-320-A2B, so It would need to be converted....

EASY. Did mine a couple of years ago. Needed to be topped anyway so just all new cylinder assemblies and about 6 hours AE time and presto-chango... Log book entry for the engine but since there is great debate related to needing an STC I went the safe way and bought the Cub Crafters STC for the Air Frame.

I just did it and here is what I did. Others have other thoughts about how to do it legally but I am very conservative with my paperwork, because the FAA looks at my airplane every once in while because I do charity airlifts under 91.146. So here goes.

You need an STC to convert the engine. I purchased the Ly-Con STC. It is about 250 dollars. It comes with a data plate that you place under the Lycoming data plate and it allows you to strike through the data on the Lycoming plate and replace it with B2B data. The Ly-Con STC requires your engine to be a wide deck. The STC will specify the parts change out.

You also need an STC to hang the engine on the airframe. You have a number of choices, I used Cub Crafters STC. Crosswinds also has one, both are good in my opinion.

If you are using a stock 74 Sensenich prop I found the 56 absorbs the power just fine.

Hope this helps

Is the carb, exhaust stacks, starter, alternator etc. and everything else the same, just cylinder change? if you have a wide deck A2B

Hi GeeBee. Did you use the 150 hp magneto timing after it was a 160 ? thanks. Jerry B.

I am not an A&P however, both A and B series are 25BTDC according to the Lycoming Operator's Manual

If you have a metal prop, I would make sure that the Prop TCDS allows that engine as there are sometimes unique harmonics that can tear a metal prop apart if it isn't tested for that engine.

I believe the 160hp cylinders are choked differently than the 150hp ones. Would be worth checking with an engine shop, Lycoming or Superior.
Also, in order to install a 160hp engine on a Super Cub, you will need an STC, Cubcrafters sells one. This is a different issue than just converting the engine.

I converted an 0320-E2G (wide deck) from 150 to 160 hp for my SC clone. STC paperwork not withstanding, here's what I found in my parts research.

The cylinders are different in that the 160 hp cylinder is indeed choked differently. However, you often times find 160 HP pistons running in the 150 cylinders and it doesn't seem to be an issue. On a narrow deck engine you need to add the banana plates to the cylinder bases. I have also heard the cylinder hold down studs called into question, but don't have any specific knowledge on that subject. Some of the early narrow deck cylinders were not nitrided. Don't use them for a 160 hp conversion.

The pistons are obviously different. (higher compression and wider ring grooves)

The rings are different. (to fit the wider ring grooves in the piston)

The wrist pins are different. Same dimensions, but thicker wall on the 160 hp version.

To the best of my memory, everything else was the same, including the ignition timing.

-CubBuilder

Back