• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

painting EDO Floats

Painting floats.

Sorry I have been out of the loop but it's now time to get moving on our floats. Cubdriver2 - where is Island Bob's located? What other aircraft/floats have they applied FloatSpeed to?

During June to September I'm based on Lookout Is., Pointe au Baril, ON, CDN. Otherwise the Cub is in a hangar at at KMQS, Chester Co. PA. Rob Murray

I need to re-paint my floats this winter because the PPG paint I used last year came off the float bottoms when I used a little slime remover from the boat-yard. While it stayed above the water-line, anything on the bottoms came off in huge pieces at the pressure washer.

I am not an authority on paint. However I have learned that adhesion of paint in water is effected by the characteristics of the particular body of water in which the floats reside. And that the paint will remain adhered for a longer period of time if it is allowed to cure completely before being placed in the water. This assumes that the floats have been thoroughly and properly cleaned before painting.

What type of paint, and painting process, is being successfully used on aluminum boats in your area? That is what I would use.

My old floats were totally stripped down and then painted by Bud Holt up in Willow using colored lacquer paint. That paint job lasted for years in semi-salty water.

My new floats were stripped and painted with PPG and the bottoms look like crud after one season. I am trying to find some lacquer paint right now.... in fact that is how I stumbled on this old thread.

I wonder if you can color the silver float lacquer paint?? Black would be better since we have so much lake scum...

Back