• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Western Washington to San Diego - suggestions?

Gordon Misch

Toledo, Wa (KTDO)
My wife and I are headed out tomorrow in the 12, and haven't decided on a preferred route yet. We're planning to not rush, and maybe camp along the way. I'm looking for suggestions for nice places to stop, both overnight and just for a break. Good restaurant within walking distance, grassy spot for a tent, or maybe a nice motel within walking distance. You know the drill - -

Looking forward to ideas - thanks!

Manzaneta/Nehalem bay on the Oregon coast is a great spot to camp. Stop for lunch in Tillamook, then hop right out to the coast. (might call about lunch at Tillamook, I think I heard they may have had a fire in the kitchen there?) There are half a dozen camps spots at Nehalem Bay. There was a porta-john and a tap with running water last time I was there (September last year). A nice short walk out to the beach, you can walk up the beach to town or walk on the road. Grocery store, pizza joint, coffee shop there.

Fly down the gorge, willamette valley, central valley in CA. Two great airports in Nor Cal, Columbia (O22) in the lower foothills. Grass and paved runways, GREAT campground just for fly in and a pretty good restaurant about 1/4 mile from the FBO. Next is on the coast down by San Luis Obispo, Oceano (L52) camp on grass, bikes to borrow and you are about 1/4 mile from the ocean and a great beach. Dining car restaurant about 1/4 mile inland. Two great places and if you are around KMOD call me. Ben

Thanks! Keep 'em coming, please!

Ben, could you please pm me a phone #, or email gordon(dot)misch(at)gmail.com?

Ben nailed the big ones. Columbia also has a state park / gold mining town about 1/2 mile away. You can always get a sandwich, ice cream and sarsaparilla at the 'ole saloon... not that anyone knows what sarsaparilla is anymore.

Auburn (AUN) has a killer breakfast and lunch menu, and the restaurant patio couldn't be any closer to the ramp. Col "Bud" Anderson is a local there. I had breakfast with him a year ago just because I happened to be sitting next to him, and I was wearing a Cub hat.

Lodi is a fun approach. The restaurant has a good menu, but it's cash only. You can sit in the window and watch the skydivers.

Half Moon Bay is always popular. Eat there at the field, or better yet, taxi all the way south and you're a 100 yard walk from Mezza Luna (great Italian) or Half Moon Brewing. Watch the fog. It moves in quick.

Harris Ranch is popular for big hunks of beef. To get there, fly south on Hwy 5 with the window open until is smells really, really bad. Then land. Seriously. It reeks of cow. I guess that's a good thing...

Nancy's Airport Cafe at Willows has maybe the best pie in the state. Yes, I know that's staying a lot. Yes, I mean it. Please recheck your weight/balance after you eat there.

This one is a sleeper spot: if you come through on Friday or Saturday (only days they are open), head to Woodlake and eat at the cafe there. Everything is homemade and AMAZING. The sectional shows the field as turf, but it's beautifully paved. The ramp is crap though, as is the taxiway. Back taxi on the runway to the restaurant, and be careful on the ramp. It's a mess. This place just might be my favorite. I wish more people would fly here.

Enjoy!

Willows also has a hotel within walking distance. I always do the Willamette valley, past Shasta, then Central Valley, up to 9500' for the LA Coliseum or Queen Mary transition.

Thanks folks - I have all of this printed out and highlighted and in my briefcase. At least some of it WILL be put to use! Bob, I'll give a you call when I get down to SD; and thanks for your airspace/comms tips!

Any more of these great ideas??

Nimpo Lake. A bit off course but not to be missed! :)

If you fly up to Washington state, Land on the Beach, its the only ocean beach airport legal to land on as far as I know. Its called Copalis Beach S16 easy landing on the wet sand. Lots of room. you can stay all day just keep a eye on the tide. When you leave go about 15 miles east to Hoquiam HQM it has a good place to eat right on the field. Long wide runway paved very nice. Bremerton airport PWT is another good paved runway further N.E Great lunch (Fish and Chips} Fuel too. Another stop would be Port Townsend OS9 Its paved and nice restaurant on the field, the kitchen caught on fire about two weeks ago but it should be back up and running by now. Hope this helps Then there is Friday Harbor FHR walk into town a short distance and you will fall in love with the place. Its about a hour north of Bremerton airport and worth the trip. Look out for restricted whidby island Navel air space. If you go north along the coast of Washington, Make sure that your at 2000 feet and no lower north of Copalis beach all the way to PortAngeles that area is a wildlife area that is being controlled by NOAA I would have to sell my plane to pay the fine.

Hi Bill - I live here in Washington (southwest) and have been to Copalis a number of times to slay some razor clams. Yeah - it's Copalis International! We oughta meet up there next clam season, eh? I wasn't aware of the amenities at Port Townsend or Friday Harbor - thanks for clueing me in!

Big Ben and kjnastro mentioned some great places. Another couple of places to stop to eat is Porterville and Bakersfield Municipal. There is no camping at either place.

Hi Gorden I might meet my cousin at the Bremerton airport this weekend. Would like to meet you sometime Bill

Thanks guys. Had the Pie at Nancy's at Willows airport this eve, AFTER a great dinner and ice cold beer! Yup, pretty darn good! And yes indeed, motel within easy walk. But a fellow who was at the airport stopped to chat, then offered a ride to the motel. Way too easy! Airplane people are just pretty darn nice, pure and simple. Now to decide which direction to head in the morning!

Arriving at the plane to leave Willows this morning, found a note stuffed in the door. "Gordon is that you? . . ." It was by PerryB. He gave directions and we landed at his farm and yakked for a little bit. Thanks, Perry! Then to Calaveras and Columbia, where we DID have ice cream and sasparilla! Thanks BigBen and Kjnastro. Then to Oceano, and are staying with Marty57 and his wife tonite. Wow, what a trip! Thanks to all!

If you decide to camp out the the little grass triangle @ Oceano, make sure you turn off the water spigot in the back corner before bedtime. It's a cold, wet, early awakening otherwise.

If you decide to camp out the the little grass triangle @ Oceano, make sure you turn off the water spigot in the back corner before bedtime. It's a cold, wet, early awakening otherwise.
Ha!!

Well, I checked out that spigot thinking about "shower" if camping, but spent the night with Marty57 and his wife (and their talking malamute and shoulder-riding cat). That was nothlng short of wonderful, and the workmanship on his 2+2 is just superb. What an inovative woodworker he is! And his wife? One of the kindest, most hospitable ladies one could meet. How nice is SC.org????

We arrived in San Diego this afternoon, and are enjoying a cerveza and anticipating homemade pizza with my son and his delightful S.O. The Camp Pendelton restricted area along the coast was inactive, so flew along the beach from a little south of Los Angeles to San Diego. That was a first - - - Tied down at a location Bob Turner arranged last year - - Again, how nice is SC.org?!

Last edited:
Gordon, sounds like you are having a great trip. If you come back up the valley let me know! My cub needs some excerise and I could meet up. Enjoy time with your son! Mine is in the AF on the east coast now and I miss seeing him, too long of a hop in the SC. Keep us updated on your adventure so we can do some computer flying with you. Ben

Thanks Ben -Wendell and I haven't discussed possible routes yet, but if it ends up being the valley, I'll certainly give a call!

Hi Gordon,
Glad to hear the final legs to your son's was a good flight and thanks for the kind words about my project. It sure was great having you and your wife with; our first guests to stay in our "new" home here in Nipomo. I think your wife's thoughts on getting used to flying with you were great for my wife to hear and should make that transition for Ann that much easier. Thanks for stopping by and staying with us, sure was fun. BTW, Sandy says hi 8)

Marty57

Yep, was great! Only about 10 or 15 seconds in the fog on takeoff and then popped out on top. A friendly "rowrrrr" back to Sandy!!

Well, on the way back to Washington now, with son Wendell.

Yesterday we made it from Montgomery Field, San Diego to Willows, Ca and had another piece of pie at Nancy's. Yep, it's pretty darn good!

Right now we're sitting at Yreka, Ca with thunderstorms ahead, so just waiting and watching the NexRad. Steve, a fellow I see here every time through here, is real helpful with lots of local knowledge and professional piloting experience, so we're listening real close to his advice, which is essentially to deviate to the east via Klamath Falls then north to the Columbia River. Worst case if we don't make it any farther today, is that they're having an Aviation Day here tomorrow with BBQ tonite. Life is tough - haha!

Ran into Perry B at the Willows airport again this morning - he's an early riser cuz it was only about 6:30.

Ok, back to watching the Nexrad - - -

Made it home yesterday by deviating thru eastern Oregon. Smokey most of the way, and some rain, so the sightseeing wasn't very good, but did pick up a heck of a tailwind (though moderate turbulence) near Bend, Or. Max was 134 mph on the GPS, 83 indicated, at 5500 ft. Wheee!

Thanks to all for suggestions and hospitality - 'twas quite a trip.

Glad to see you made it home without too much difficulty. I'm looking forward to coming up with my airplane when/if it ever gets done. I shouldn't have said that, I probably jinxed myself.

Back