• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Ohio to Colorado and Back again

mcpeekrs

Ohio
Here's the itinerary! My girlfriend and I are headed from Ohio to Colorado in the J5 Cub. Saturday is the departure date! I'm picking her up in Chicago and headed to Lincoln, NE on Sunday to visit some family. A few days later it's off to Fort Collins or somewhere near there. Sometime on the weekend we'll be headed down to the Denver area where we'll spend a few days. The route home will at least go through Hays, KS to check out the Rans factory (I've got an S7 in the garage)

We're pretty much flying by the seat of our pants for the time in Colorado. I saw Grandby on the chart and though (if the weather permits) it would be cool to try and get there. Otherwise playing it as we go, meeting people, and finding directions to the next spot. We're loaded with all of the camping gear so looking for some cool spots!

If anyone's out and about we would love to meet up and do some flying. The dates of the trip are Aug 10 - about Aug 25.

Hope to see some of you along the way!!

Ryan

If you make it to the fun side of the mountains (western) your welcome to stay at our place for a night
have a strip at the house and a spare room :)

Try to hook up with Greg (soyAnarchisto) He's become pretty well versed in high altitude flying in his J3 in the last year.

As Bill said, density altitude is your biggest threat. If your J5 is stock it is going to struggle even at the front range airports.

Watch the wx closely. It can be pretty nasty between Chicago and Denver this time of year. An Ipad with real time weather would be a great asset and don't forget good tie downs!!

Have fun!!

McPeekers, as AlaskaTangle said "Sounds Fun!" A suggestion out of Lincoln would be to follow Hwy US 6 in the direction of Fort Collins. There are lots of small aerodromes along the way, and between signs on the water towers and the grain elevators, usually easy to figure out where you are.

A good rule-of-thumb is: The closer the aerodrome is to town, the more interesting, not to mention convenient. A good example would be Minden, OV3: It's right there, there's a motel and cafe, and Pioneer Village, and it's Cub-friendly. I think there's an antique aeroplane fly-in there 8/24/13, another good sign.

Along the Front Range, Longmont is probably the most Cub-friendly aerodrome (quite a few based there), but sadly FortLove (FNL) thinks it's God's special gift to jets--but not that many jets agree....

Get early starts, be flexible, especially with weather, and keep it fun.

Thanks. cubscout

Excellent advice on following highway 6. Sounds pretty interesting! Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to avoid FNL. There is nothing else closer to the city...Hat-Field looks interesting...600ft might be a bit funny at that altitude though! Can't get ahold of the owner there anyways.

Time is on our side on this trip!

Had a couple of nice flights with McPeekrs - today we did Milner pass through RMNP, circled around Hague Peak then passed under the Diamond on Longs Peak. Wish I took more pics!

ahany6e2.jpg

y5uguzu9.jpg

Last edited:
Had a couple of nice flights with McPeekrs - today we did Milner pass through RMNP . . .

Pretty country up that way. Many summers of my well-spent youth took place in RMNP, including three summers living in a cabin built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) right at Milner Pass. There are several aircraft wrecks in the Park, including a T-6 that ran out of altitude and maneuvering space not far from Milner Pass. Definitely an area that holds some surprises!

Hi
I'm in Indianapolis with my j3 if you stopping there let me know so we can meet for chat. If you are in City and looking for a accomodation please let me know:)

Back