• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pirate Cub Build

Sonexpilot

Oshkosh
My project I'm calling a Pirate Cub since I'm pirating all the ideas that go into it. My friend John is also building one which is great because we build two of everything. Makes me feel much better about all the jig making required for scratch building. I used to own a 90hp Super Cub that needed a full restoration. At that point, I decided I'd rather just build one so I could put doors on both sides, and have all the benefits of having an Experimental-Amateur Built aircraft.

My logo:
Pirate Cub Logo 7 Loresl.jpg

The last year this project has been on hold but will now start up again after Oshkosh. My primary documentation of the building process is on this page: www.facebook.com/PirateCub I'll start using this thread as well.

IMG_0628.jpg

Currently working on the tail feathers.
IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

Attachments

• Pirate Cub Logo 7 Loresl.jpg
    Pirate Cub Logo 7 Loresl.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0628.jpg
    IMG_0628.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0926.jpg
    IMG_0926.jpg
    630.5 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0887.jpg
    IMG_0887.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 211
Nice work. Be sure and install the gusset on between the rib and brace on the horizontal stabs. Cub Crafters figured out it wasn't just extra weight on their Carbon Cubs.

In honor of Paul Poberezny, I went over to his Aeroplane Factory, put on my welding helmet (that he signed), and did some welding. He loved building airplanes, especially ones you weld up. I had the opportunity to help build the fuselage of the Mechanix Illustrated Baby Ace with him (www.facebook.com/MIBabyAce). That is what gave me the confidence and motivation to start the Pirate Cub. Thanks Paul! RIP.
G0010113.jpg

Attachments

• G0010113.jpg
    G0010113.jpg
    986.3 KB · Views: 164
Good way to honor Paul. Since Paul was an "old school" airplane builder what did he think of Tig welding? I got to meet Paul and visit with him in 1977 at Oshkosh. We had built a Baby Ace with an A-65 and he wanted to hear about it, things like empty wt and CG etc. Here was a busy man at the busiest time of the year for him and he seemed excited to hear about our little Baby Ace even though he had just climbed out of a P51 a few hours earlier from the evening airshow.

Good way to honor Paul. Since Paul was an "old school" airplane builder what did he think of Tig welding? I got to meet Paul and visit with him in 1977 at Oshkosh. We had built a Baby Ace with an A-65 and he wanted to hear about it, things like empty wt and CG etc. Here was a busy man at the busiest time of the year for him and he seemed excited to hear about our little Baby Ace even though he had just climbed out of a P51 a few hours earlier from the evening airshow.

Cub junkie. Paul thought enough of TIG welding to own a Lincoln TIG Welder (although my guess is he still preferred gas since he was a minimalist when it came to building). Paul absolutely loved airplanes and people. He had a special place in his heart for the Baby Ace.

Back