• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Onboard tool kit

Crash,

Life must be easy when you can park in front of your tool shed. Your strip looks good (especially since it's dry). Some of us still have to work on Rangers and 4-wheelers and boats when we land. :)

SB

Crash,

Life must be easy when you can park in front of your tool shed. Your strip looks good (especially since it's dry). Some of us still have to work on Rangers and 4-wheelers and boats when we land. :)

SB

I have a basic set of tools at my cabins for maintaining 4 wheelers, sno-gos, etc. Also have Honda and Yamaha stuff so that may also be the difference. :)

Anyway, in all my years of flying out in the bush, I've never had a major mechanical where I needed a complete set of tools to fix it. Do a good complete annual and your field maintenance should be ZERO. Carrying all this "just in case" stuff will make your plane real heavy and negate the reason for flying a Cub.

Take care,

Crash

I'm pretty much with Crash these days. I carry minimal tools and a couple of spare spark plugs. A small calibre rifle, small hatchet / buck knife kit and not much else. That's what the pre programmed button on my Spot is for... that says "airplane won't start.. get xxxxxxxxairways to come get me with booster pack". That way wife isn't worried how badly me or the bird is bent up... and just thinks it won't crank!

I'm pretty much with Crash these days. I carry minimal tools and a couple of spare spark plugs. A small calibre rifle, small hatchet / buck knife kit and not much else. That's what the pre programmed button on my Spot is for... that says "airplane won't start.. get xxxxxxxxairways to come get me with booster pack". That way wife isn't worried how badly me or the bird is bent up... and just thinks it won't crank!

I programmed mine to send out " I did something stupid but I am ok, come get my dumb ass" I like your line better to keep them from worrying!

My tool kit centers around fixing the damage I can do and not about doing the maintenance I should have done in my hangar.

All though I'm a minimalist when it comes to extra weight in the plane, I like to be able to fix a prop and fix a slice in a tire as minimum. I've had to do those things. Getting a slightly bent cub home without the use of helicopter ride is a nice option so duct tape, ring clamps and safety wire seem to be under my seat a lot. It all depends on how far I will be from help as to what I will bring just in case.

Speaking of extra weight, I notice we spend money and effort on lightening our aircraft while we make little or no effort lighten our bodies. How many of us have a least a 10 lb tool kit on our waist at all times?

Jerry

Along with tools, tire patch kit for the bushwheels, and a spare tail wheel tube I keep intake and exhaust gaskets, studs, bolts, screws, cotter pins, extra fuel cap, and about 3 oz of 5606 hyd fluid in my tool kit. It's all kept to a bare minimum and light as possible.

Survival gear is something different and 99% of it is kept in a vest I wear.

Jason

Forget carrying all that crap around. Use a Sat phone to call your mechanic with a Super Cub. If you don't have that option then you better get with it.

Forget carrying all that crap around. Use a Sat phone to call your mechanic with a Super Cub. If you don't have that option then you better get with it.

Have supercub will travel.
f154e6323c612bd2c4e2ca19bcd57a17.jpg

The big baggage door is nice, a 3” gear will fit through without taking out the back seat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple extra valve stem caps. It's amazing how those things get lost. If on floats, an extra gas cap!!!

I think a field expedient replacement to the ready ratchet could be cobbled together from what is in my toolbox, with a breaker bar.

I just pack a regular 3/8" Craftsman rachet, a couple extensions, a universal,
and a set of sockets nested into each other & ran onto a length of wire to keep them all together.
That Ready Rachet kit looks handy, but not so much that I'm gonna bother to try to find one.

The only time I've ever needed a ratchet for an airplane in the field was to break down a tailwheel to change a tube but my ratchet has torn down outboard jets more times than I can count and helped recover flood damaged wheelers more times than I'd like. It isn't always about the airplane. If I didn't have boats and wheelers to deal with my airplane tool bag would be different.

Carried tools around for years, never used them and now they stay in the hangar. I do a good preflight and if anything seems wrong it gets dealt with right away, I figure most problems give you some warning. Got a Spot and a satphone and enough lite weight camping gear for a few nights out and enough contacts to help if I really need it.

Mike

A tool kit is like hull insurance- or any insurance for that matter.
Big waste of time & money, until you need it.....then it's priceless.
I've been stuck away from home with a flat t/w, luckily I was able to borrow tools.
Shortly thereafter I started carrying a tool kit.
Used it a few times since, actually more often on other's airplanes than my own.

Back