Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PA18-105 special.

Post Thanks / Like

PA18-105 special.

Does any one know did the 105 special have original equipment that included electrics?

Post Thanks / Like
    Could you find that info on the Type Certificate?
    Speedo

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it was an option. My airplane was a PA-18 until the early '70's when a new owner put "PA-18-105" on a registration application. OK City liked it so much they went all the way with "PA-18-105 Special". I don't like it much but the airplane does not seem to mind. Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    Yes, it was an option. My airplane was a PA-18 until the early '70's when a new owner put "PA-18-105" on a registration application. OK City liked it so much they went all the way with "PA-18-105 Special". I don't like it much but the airplane does not seem to mind. Jim
    I think it might be "special" ,with a light weight starter, and alternator. Cause light is right!

Post Thanks / Like
    105 Special was a CAP trainer. I had one, many had toe brakes ("tango cubs" with T at the end of their N numbers), parachute front seat height, and electrics in all that I have seen.

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve is right, I have N227T. Originally it had a battery, starter, generator, and navigation lights when we got it from the CAP at the St. Joseph, Mo. airport in 1969. The type certificate data sheet says that the 105SP is the same as a PA-18 regarding required equipment (main gear, tailwheel, engine, propeller) except for note 3 which describes a revised battery installation along with the toe brakes, parachute seats, etc. Interesting reading if you own one, but doesn't answer your question.
    Don

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 279T and it came with lights, no flaps, toe brakes, Used by CAP and never left California. The back seat had a set up for a Parachute.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 247t but a it was wrecked in the 70s and has a different fuselage but the cap did own it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am the new owner of 323T .now in WA, from GA

Post Thanks / Like
    This one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	914.0 KB 
ID:	13872  
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    This one?
    Thanks for the radio loan, it was sent back a couple weeks ago, I trust it arrived? Turns out it was the connector in the tray had backed way out

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I did receive it. Glad I could help. Glad to her it was an easy fix. Have fun with the new bird.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, your a class act. I've never met you but it seams all you do is help people out.
    I'm glad you received the money for your tail wheel and you still trust people by loaning things out.

If your ever in the Pacific Northwest let us know early so we can meet.

thanks for all your knowledge too.

eric dapp
    KCVO

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same problem, my Dad's plane. It is SN 101 and the paperwork was changed to "PA-18-105 Special" about 20 years ago during recover and overhaul. She was built during the first few months of 1950 and has been a Montana ranch plane ever since. I will eventually end up owning it. It is pretty much in original configuration from factory except for 8:50 x 6 tires and second wing tank added. No electrical, heel brakes, 0-235-C1, 13 rib wings. Super light, great fun to fly. Same as you I don't like it much listed as "Special" but the airplane seems to not mind. I would like to correct the paperwork back to PA-18 nuthin when I buy it in the next few years. Not sure how much of a hassle it will be. I understand this is not an uncommon error. Anybody have any advice on how best to handle it?

Post Thanks / Like
    When ownership of the airplane changes you might try a registration application showing PA-18 (only). When that does not work enlisting the help of your local FSDO would be your next move, IMO. I e-mailed, called and faxed OK City explaining when the mistake was made, no joy. After a conformity inspection by my local FSDO he contacted OK City by letter and they refused to correct it. I give up, good luck. Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok good to know what to expect, maybe I'll have better luck that way.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

105 pa 18 special

Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    105 Special was a CAP trainer. I had one, many had toe brakes ("tango cubs" with T at the end of their N numbers), parachute front seat height, and electrics in all that I have seen.
    steve, i had a tango cub too. they also call them "light frames" but then you beef up the tail and add this and that and they weigh about the same as most.
    i had heard they were air force trainers, but you say canandian air force? myne had toe brakes, which i thought i would like becuase i cut my teath on a cessna, but those special toe brakes were pretty special if you know what i mean. at any rate its the one i always say i should have kept. it had weld on float fittings, 160hp, borer prop, and vg's. it really wanted to fly. throttle ahead and the thing was about in the air. not quite a carbon cub but not very far behind. and i learned what the saying "climbs like a home sick angel" meant when i flew that plane. wish i still had it. even though you have to put your right foot behind your left ear to get in it. thats why i am looking at a 12. but the standard door is not ingress egress freindly for the front seater.

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeflyer View Post
    I have the same problem, my Dad's plane. It is SN 101 and the paperwork was changed to "PA-18-105 Special" about 20 years ago during recover and overhaul. She was built during the first few months of 1950 and has been a Montana ranch plane ever since. I will eventually end up owning it. It is pretty much in original configuration from factory except for 8:50 x 6 tires and second wing tank added. No electrical, heel brakes, 0-235-C1, 13 rib wings. Super light, great fun to fly. Same as you I don't like it much listed as "Special" but the airplane seems to not mind. I would like to correct the paperwork back to PA-18 nuthin when I buy it in the next few years. Not sure how much of a hassle it will be. I understand this is not an uncommon error. Anybody have any advice on how best to handle it?
    I own SN102, also registered as "Special" though I don't think it is. March 17, 1950 model, N# ends with Kilo, 0-235-C1, flaps, nav lights, starter, generator, battery, heel brakes, horn-balanced elevators. Put on EDO 1400 floats in July 1950, second fuel tank installed in 1956.

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys sure the feds didn’t just correct the paperwork back to its original status? Aren’t all of the Tango cubs 115 Special?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    What’s the data tag say? Seems that’s the one that really counts. Don’t we all think our Cubs are special.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    You guys sure the feds didn’t just correct the paperwork back to its original status? Aren’t all of the Tango cubs 115 Special?
    They arent Tango cubs. Most of the '50 cubs were Kilo cubs.
    I may be wrong but that probably won't stop me from arguing about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearhawk Builder View Post
    What’s the data tag say? Seems that’s the one that really counts. Don’t we all think our Cubs are special.
    This is the data plate on N323T, which a friend of mine owns.
    PA-18-105-SP.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tango cub data plate.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	212.7 KB 
ID:	52411
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aeroergosum View Post
    I own SN102, also registered as "Special" though I don't think it is. March 17, 1950 model, N# ends with Kilo, 0-235-C1, flaps, nav lights, starter, generator, battery, heel brakes, horn-balanced elevators. Put on EDO 1400 floats in July 1950, second fuel tank installed in 1956.
    Though I don't know what parachute seat looks like but the one that is installed is uncomfortable after a few hours. It's only a thin padded covering. Flew from 4B9 near Hartford, CT to Medina OH, 6:41 non-stop once.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bladeflyer, by any chance does your tail number end in "K" (N####K) similar to what Aeroergosum describes? I think these were sometimes described as "cub specials", but, from what I understand, in 1950, the flaps and O-235 were optional equipment. The plane my Dad owns is a 1950 "Kilo" cub. It now has an O-320, 2nd tank and full electric. Though I never flew it in its original configuration, I heard it was awesome-- with a light load it was a better STOL performer than after the mods and in the air it just handled really nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 1950 airplanes, registrations ending in a K are PA-18’s. Some got changed to PA-18-105’s or PA-18-105 Specials because, in my opinion, various owners filled out a registration application mistakenly using those model numbers. The FAA liked it and changed the model number. I went thru my local FSDO to try to correct mine at OK City, no joy. My data plate is stamped PA-18. My registration says PA-18-105 since the mid ‘70’s
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB0704E6-439E-4F31-8F4D-F438B002F6E7.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	52414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7D726117-C0F8-4B33-B11B-9B47EA6474FD.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	52415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B448E5DD-3B63-4440-BA55-466F59FD4F1B.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	52416  
    Thanks Steve Pierce thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	20201117_141050.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	52421

Name:	1950 W&B0001.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	52424Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1950 W&B0002.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	52423Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1950 AFM.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	52425

I'm thinking the Data plate was replaced. It is located at the upper left trim panel. Airplane Flight Manual and W&B note the aircraft as a PA-18 (Commercial). This 18 began service with Central Maine Flying Service, Old Town, Maine on 4/11/1950.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope that’s an original early supercub plate
    Thanks aeroergosum, WWhunter thanked for this post