• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Full nose down trim on Southwest

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
1372619375513.jpg

Bill Rusk flew Laura and I to Chicago today, awesome short field landing in the 737. What a great ambassador for a great airline.

Posted Using the Free SuperCub.Org Android App!

Attachments

• 1372619375513.jpg
    1372619375513.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 288
Flying SouthWest Airlines, last year, the cabin attendant sang a song to us. She had a very good voice.

It was IFR for 1100 miles, took SouthWest instead and left the driving to them. And saved $500 on fuel.

such a shame we can`t have our friends "visit" the cockpit (jump seat) anymore-----Capt Cub-----retired Boeing driver

What happened to your planes ?

Going back and forth between the Connecticut and Kansas City is a whole lot cheaper when you have 150 of your "friends" with you. Plus, their ability to deal with thunderstorms (which we had at all three airports on the way out) is much more advanced than mine..

sj

Steve is being very kind. The truth is I packed it on pretty firm in Midway. Why is it you never make good landings when someone you know is on the plane or watching? Now, Midway is a short runway so you don't mess around, get it down and get it stopped, but there was no doubt in anyone's mind that we were down. Dooh.... Next flight this morning to DTW my landing was smooth as glass but I had no witnesses from SC. Org. A wasted good landing. There are a bunch of us SWA guys here. G2, GBradley, ruffair(Kim), Youkon John, flymore, Greg C, Paul, and probably a bunch I'm forgetting. I am Blessed to work for a good company.

It was great having Steve and Laura on my plane.

Bill

Why is it you never make good landings when someone you know is on the plane or watching?

Bill, we all walked away, and you used the airplane again, therefore it was a GREAT landing! Besides, I didn't think that lady next to us was going to wake up.

sj

Bill,

i beg to differ....a good landing is never wasted.:lol::lol:

I'll take one anywhere I can get it.

MTV

I'm still curious what his song of choice was for the cabin :lol:

Every time I fly Southwest, I look in the cockpit for Bill or any of the other guys I know flying for them.

I feel your pain Bill. When I used to fly the 757-300 into MDW with all 247 seats filled I was glad for those Boeing carbon fiber brakes. Save the grease jobs for the long runways.

SJ was watching for the 1000 foot mark....we were down well before. We did fell comfortable with Bill up there. Chicago is always a thrill....and I don't like feeling like we are floating down that runway. Awesome job Bill....and so much fun to see your smiling face!

cafi

Next flight this morning to DTW my landing was smooth as glass but I had no witnesses from SC. Org. A wasted good landing.

Oh, that explains the mini-earthquake this morning. I'm the "witness from SC.Org" in Detroit! I don't think it will show up in "Oops."

Anne.

That's so cool! All SCers should have the privilege of meeting Bill and seeing him fly his 170. He's a class act and a heck of a guy.

Where's the check box in expedia to order up a SC.org pilot? I'm flying to San Jose, CA sunday night on SW from DEN.

Midway is not the place for smooth landings. My personal runway length limit was 5000', and the 1000' marker is about as far down the runway you want to touch down. A firm touchdown gets the spoilers up right now, and auto brakes at least on to the min setting is a good idea.

Austin Mueller had a 5001' runway, and one night we had to use it. Put that sucker on the 500' mark.

Jumpseated several years ago Denver to Midway on ATA 727. Captains leg and I mentioned what a challenge a heavy 727 into Midway must be. The FO replies "wait til you see this guy put in on there, it will just piss you off". The Captain just smiled.
From 500 ft to the turn off it was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. He nailed the 500 ft marker with one of the smoothest touchdowns ever, then a smooth application of reverse and brakes to a gentle turn off at the end. I hate guys like that..;-)
Been there many times myself and my landings were, shall we say...FIRM.
Regulated to "the other airport" now but even with it's long runways have never made as nice a one as that ATA landing in MDW..

For further thread creep the ILS 4R to minimums with a 3 degree G/S is always a fun one. Yup.... I miss ATA. Best place I ever worked.

ATA--now that I haven't heard in awhile. I used to take care of ATA in the Northeast. They had some great people and it was always fun to pop out to Indy for a RON and hang out with some of the ops and outstations folks.

Back