Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Oil cooling position on PA12 ???

Post Thanks / Like

Oil cooling position on PA12 ???

Hi guys,

I have a PA12 with an overhauled O320 E2A (50 HSO) and my oil temperature is climbing to 230 °F with an OAT of 95°F.
    My oil cooling is locating like on the picture and I am asking if is it a good place or not because when I am climbing, "cold" air doesn't go through the cooler I guess....
    My question: where is the best place to fix the cooling ?

Thanks for your helpIMG_3584[1].JPGIMG_3583[1].JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks as though you could make the opening a little wider for starters. Then make a scoop, with a flange attached to the two top bolts, angled forward with bent down sides fastened to the baffle on either side. Try making it a couple of inches wide for starters. Bend the ends down and fasten them to close the scoop and to prevent it from flapping.

Be careful when drilling the holes for the end screws. Protect the oil cooler.

If you are not used to making things from sheet aluminum, make a pattern out of a cereal box first.

I did some cooling flight tests on an airplane with the cooler mounted like yours. It would not pass until we installed the scoop. Then it was OK.
    Last edited by skywagon8a; 06-18-2013 at 05:28 AM.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking about doing something like that but it's not very "beautiful".... Doesn't matter I am going to try your solution.....

Thank you very much

Post Thanks / Like
    Just paint it black and after a couple of flights you will not even see it.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll need a scoop, plus some insulation between your cooler and the #2 cylinder.

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of outlet restrictions are there? You should have an exit air ramp to draw air out of the cowl opening if you don't. You can cram as much air as you want into a cooler, but if the air cannot get out efficiently, the flow through the cooler will suffer.

Post Thanks / Like
    You will also need to duct the exit air from the cooler away from the fins on the number 2 cylinder....or, just change the location of the cooler .....(highly recommended)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fobjob View Post
    You'll need a scoop, plus some insulation between your cooler and the #2 cylinder.
    Quote Originally Posted by fobjob View Post
    You will also need to duct the exit air from the cooler away from the fins on the number 2 cylinder....or, just change the location of the cooler .....(highly recommended)
    There should already be a baffle on the lower section of the #2 cylinder. Because of this the exhaust of that oil cooler should not impact the cylinder temp.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they aren't." ....... I've heard that theory.....