• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Humbled and Grateful

sierra bravo

Lucky me. I've been invited to be the civilian "Honorary Commander" for the RCC (Rescue Coordination Center). I spent a few hours today touring the 210th, 211th, and 212th RQS facilities with a few other civilians and several Guard representatives. Their equipment, staff training, and aircraft maintenance facilities are top notch but the most impressive thing is the men and women who staff them. I know their pilots are first rate. All are combat vets. The PJs are marvels of the human form. Tough dudes, no question. To a man all were personable and engaging. I'm pleased to have them watching out for me if I wonder into peril and I'm honored to get to spend time with them in their working environment. If you're Alaskan or intend to visit here? I encourage you to utilize 406 ELT technology to help these dedicated men locate and help you quickly and efficiently so they can return to their lives and their families as quickly as posible with minimum risk to the rescuers. Put your money where your mouth is. Support your troops.

AOPA is wrong. 121.5 equipment belongs in a museum with brick phones and BetaMax tape players.

SB

Congrats Stewart,
Just dawned on me after reading your post,, that a good way to support those particular troops is to order yourself a 406... Like you said, helps them do their job and return to their families in short order.... Good post.

Congratulations SB. You're now associated with a very well respected and vital group of hard working folks.

So what are the responsibilities of the civilian Honorary Commander? Whatever they are I'm sure you'll do an excellent job at it.

I don't see responsibilities but rather opportunities. I'll be able to observe and learn in detail how this operation works and responds to different situations and how they interract with the rescue squadrons. I'll get to meet the center's staff, discuss their concerns, and share mine. The program is intended to familiarize the local community with the military's operations and people. That sounds generic but after yesterday's tour I'd say the face-to-face experience is very powerful. I've heard about the Air Guard's role in Alaska for a long time and I thought I had a pretty good understanding of it. To see it up close puts it into new perspective. And to tell the truth, climbing around in a couple of C130s was just plain fun, as was having our conversations interrupted by the F22s that were operating on and off the runway while we were on the ramp. To be in the cockpit of a 130 and see all the electronic counter measure equipment is a sobering reminder that these guys take these planes into places where bad guys are shooting at them. Their SAR mission isn't limited to local folks who get themselves into trouble. With that in mind I want to minimize any efforts they may direct toward me. That 406 thing again.

Congrats Stewart,
Just dawned on me after reading your post,, that a good way to support those particular troops is to order yourself a 406... Like you said, helps them do their job and return to their families in short order.... Good post.

You just made the post of the day to me Steve. A very Ayn Rand observation. Lip service is one thing but having a 406 is probably the very best thing you can do to show respect to these fine folks, their families and their lives. And guess what: You win too!

That is very cool SB. I have worked closely with our Group Honorary Commander in the past and I am sure it is an honor for them as well!

Very nice! Congratulations, they made can good choice!

Posted Using the Free SuperCub.Org Android App!

Good for you SB!!!

One of the local neighbor kids went into the guard and just got hired to work in the rescue center on the maintenance stuff. He is working on crew safety stuff...

He will be back to work monday, his name is Chattam Holt. He was at the Anchorage air show two years back with me. Good Kid.

He was telling me some of the behind the curtain stuff that it takes to keep everyone going. It is a true testament to their dedication. Would be nice to limit my time with them to non search hours

Your representation of our needs will be superb!

406 for the troops, good fact.

SB that is awesome! Also glad you are getting to interact with our troops. So many of them and with the way society can be negative at times, it is good that you get to see what they do for our nation other than 'go to war'.
Not meaning to get this thread off topic but have been seriously thinking of getting a PLB when/if I get to Oshkosh this summer. Already have a SPOT but a person can never be too safe. Do you guys that have a PLB prefer a particular one over any of the others?

Back