• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oklahoma

cafi19

NWA
Hope everyone made it through the storms ok!!!

Anyone have any information on how we can help in a meaningful way? I plan to be in KC this weekend and would like to head farther west to help out. Lot of what I am reading says send money. They must need bodies too.

Any info will be appreciated!

cafi

Cafi,
I don't have any specific info but I bet if you showed up with as much bottled water that you could carry and things like Cliff bars you wouldn't have any difficulty finding hungry and thirsty folks. Simple things like that are greatly appreciated. Get out the old Yellow Pages (or internet search) and find churches in the towns close to the hardest hit area and give them a call with offers of help. Money is good but often that takes a lot of time to turn into basic needs. Good luck with your efforts.
Marty57

I was part of a group of pilots who flew supplies down after the Joplin tornado. There was a warehouse at the airport that had about a million gallons of bottled water and five hundred thousand Pampers, and I realized at the time that while what we were doing made us feel like we were at least doing something, it was really not that helpful (I would not be surprised if much of that stuff is still in that warehouse).

I would agree with the above posters (and all of the information I have been hearing on the radio) who have said that sending money is the best long term benefit for these situations. It is even hard to volunteer (as Laura found out yesterday) as they want you to be certified. We have a doctor friend who's group of physicians was not allowed access after Katrina because they had not been properly vetted.

sj

The doctor was a team of 6 doctors that loaded two planes (one a Caravan and I'm not sure what the other was...but it was large enough to hold all 6) with supplies (at their own expense). They were stopped at one point because they were not FEMA certified. Just crazy. They did find a way to keep working and spent about a month down there. Our friend later relocated to Louisiana.

I can understand the concerns...they are worried about people being taken advantage of...which happens....but these guys were top of their fields and they certainly were needed down there.

I guess I should look into getting certified so that I CAN help. I feel for these people. I can not imagine what they have already gone through without even thinking about the loss of property. Wish I could do more than send a check. That just seems so insignificant!

cafi

Cafi

The real time when help is needed often comes much later after the initial outpouring of care delivered by responders has ebbed and the real restoration efforts kick in. Keep the passion there will be many opportunities for a long time to come.

Kirby

Kirby, that is exactly what my mom and dad used to say/do.

sj

Camera in hand, I went out yesterday evening and to my dismay I could not find a Twisterroo... Finally I had to get out of the rain before I melted.. We did find 3 photographs in our pasture during the last round of storms. Blown in from no tellin where. Will watch till I have to dive in a hole..

We had them all around again but not too rough here at the house...we could see it building across the lake wind went from dead calm to 30-40 mph pretty quick

Back