Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New member building a PA18-95

Post Thanks / Like
    Vic,

No I didn't ask him for drawings. I don't know about the "figured it out from photos" either. This was just my rendering of something close to what Javron does on their wings that looks like it makes sense. There is no engineering behind what I have done, but I don't think it will weaken the wing.

I deemed it necessary because I have seen some pictures taken from a certain Javron Cub on amphibious floats. Alaska, Russia(nearly), the Bering Sea and the like. I don't want to be left out of that kind of action if I live long enough to finish my plane. Sounded like Javron did some testing and determined those wings needed a beef up at that kind of gross. Those wings have the same spars I do and I do like to fish.

From reading what others have posted here and from what my gut tells me, if my wing was going to crinkle, it would likely do it just outboard of the strut attachment points. A full wrap outboard of the front strut attachment point on the front spar and a boxing in of the false spar to the rear spar in the 3 bays surrounding the rear strut attachment point looks like a good idea for the weight needed to do it. I also like the fact that I didn't have to drill holes in my rear spar in places that one doesn't normally do to attach ribs.

It is spooky how floppy aluminum wings are until you get the leading edge on and amazing how dramatically different they are once on. I don't have any experience building wood wings, but I would imagine yours will be quite a bit stiffer. I'm not qualified to offer any suggestions there.

I post lots of pictures in hopes someone will speak up if they see something stupid that I have done. This is my first rodeo, I'm learning as I go.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Jim
    Thanks RVBottomly thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Rusk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

6oz, 6 Day Mistakes

Made some more errors. 1st one I didn't realize until I had Port wing buttoned up and was ready to drill three holes in Starboard. Laid my aileron bracket up from the wrong hole. About 1-1/4" too far inboard. Looked like it would put the cable in one hell of a bind, had to change it. Made up a different spar stiffener so I could fill the two mistake holes and have it look somewhat planned. Luckily I had already made both top spar beef up pieces...they made nice patterns for all of the holes except for the aileron bracket (had to remake both, had to wait for replacement materials).

Second mistake was laying out the false spar on the Starboard wing. Measured it out, got all the holes where they should go, but somehow got it about a 1/4" too far inboard when drilling holes in ribs. Edge distance for rivets holding one side of my aileron/flap brackets was too close, looked like and was garbage. Had to make reinforcement plate thingys for the outside of the false spar to make myself happy. Made both wings match.

Had to take a SWAG on the lower aileron pulley bracket's angle that mounts on the front spar. Looked like if mounted perfectly horizontal with the pulley cage not pictured, it would again put the cable a bind going to the next bracket inboard that mounts on the compression member.

Making forward progress again. Boys have been helping buck the rivets I can't squeeze. Left handed one decided the dog needed to be wearing safety glasses...

Thanks,

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mistake 1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	44571   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mistake 1 resolved.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	44572   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mistake 2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	44573   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mistake 2 resolved.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	44574   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SWAG 1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	44575  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SWAG Pic 2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	44576   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knuckleheads.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	44577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Safety First.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	44578  
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim A. View Post
    Just a heads up. In order for the control cable which runs from this pulley to the top aileron horn to be properly aligned, the horn needs to be twisted towards the pulley 3 degrees. This is on Piper's aileron horn drawing.
    N1PA
    Thanks Jim A. thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    Just a heads up. In order for the control cable which runs from this pulley to the top aileron horn to be properly aligned, the horn needs to be twisted towards the pulley 3 degrees. This is on Piper's aileron horn drawing.
    and also remember this when you do your fabric covering that the teardrop cover for this is mounted at a angle also, not straight front to back.
    Thanks Jim A. thanked for this post