Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Inertia reel mounting location

Post Thanks / Like

Inertia reel mounting location

I am about to weld a mount for an inertia reel in my project and I wanted to find out what everybody thinks as to mounting location. Should it be welded to the rear spar carry through, or to the crossbar about 6" behind the x-brace. I'm planning on using the BAS inertia reel setup. Any thoughts or opinions on the BAS are also welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    From Airframes. No approval forwelded on fittings on a a factory frame though.

http://www.airframesalaska.com/fuselagemod.htm
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Still, most updated SCs I've seen have welded on shoulder harness brackets. I once called Atlee to ask about his bolt on bracket. I had talked to him before and he knew the plane was apart. He said, "Isn't your SC apart"? When I responded Yes, he said "Then just weld the @#%* bracket on". Good advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since it's an experimental, I'm not too worried about approval. Mostly what I was wondering was if the reel was mounted to the crossbar about 6" behind the x-brace, is that far enough behind the pilot's seat to function correctly. I thought if it was mounted here it would be less likely to be in the way of the passenger also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1934A View Post
    I am about to weld a mount for an inertia reel in my project and I wanted to find out what everybody thinks as to mounting location. Should it be welded to the rear spar carry through, or to the crossbar about 6" behind the x-brace. I'm planning on using the BAS inertia reel setup. Any thoughts or opinions on the BAS are also welcome.
    If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you a CAD file I drew for an Am Safe reel. It is designed for attaching in a Cessna but gives you the hole layout needed for the Am Safe unit should you decide to weld in a plate in your Cub. When I had my PA18 a welded tab was put in for a standard type shoulder harness. If I were to do it again I'd go with the Am Safe.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1934A View Post
    Since it's an experimental, I'm not too worried about approval. Mostly what I was wondering was if the reel was mounted to the crossbar about 6" behind the x-brace, is that far enough behind the pilot's seat to function correctly. I thought if it was mounted here it would be less likely to be in the way of the passenger also.
    The farther back the better in my opinion. It won't bother a backseater unless you're not wearing it. And the father back it is the better it will fit your neck and lay on your shoulders.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

Post Thanks / Like
    rear carry hrough spar is perfect. check AC43.13 for more guidelines.

John