• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Ferry Permit

PA!2

Is it possible to get a ferry permit from the lower 48 through Canada and into Anchorage?
If so what is the process?
Thanks
PA!2

used to be able to... know of plane that went from naknek down to texas on ferry permit... but that was late 80's....

call the FSDO and ask for one.... used to be they couldn't turn you down, but not true anymore...

I asked the FSDO but he wasn't sure if I could get one for Canada or how I would go about getting one and he also wasn't sure if he did issue one whether it would work for Alaska.
PA!2

Need one for US, and one for Canada. Get the US one, then contact Transport Canada. Was not a big deal, just a few calls.

I believe that the Canadian one said something about follow US permit rules.

What's the deal with 14 CFR 39 and Ferry Permits. Use to, each AD note said if the aircraft could be issued a ferry permit...now, you are to refer to Part 39. How do you know if you can ferry an aircraft to comply with an AD note? FAR 39 is clear as mud and my PMI isn't much better.

A friend tried this years ago, to ferry a plane from Fairbanks to New Hampshire. It turned into such a headache trying to get the ferry permit that he did a quick annual on it. When he got it home he tore it apart.

Someone show me an AD that does not allow a ferry permit please. Thanks

Still trying to get my 12 to Anchorage, could someone tell me the process of obtaining a ferry permit?
I'm assuming there is a form from the local FSDO?
Does it involve an I&A?
Once the request is made how long does it take to process?
Thanks
PA!2

Still trying to get my 12 to Anchorage, could someone tell me the process of obtaining a ferry permit?
Does it involve an I&A?
Thanks
PA!2

used to just take a phone call to the local FSDO, and they'd fax it right to you.... then an A&P would sign logs stating it's safe for a flight(S) from X to Y by way of Z(s).....

Does it involve an I&A?
Thanks
PA!2

Call your local FSDO for the permit. Get an A&P to make a logbook entry that the aircraft is safe for the ferry flight. You must comply with FAR 39 which is to say you must comply with all AD notes. If the AD note says you can ferry, you can. If it doesn't you must comply with the AD note first.

Pat
Vertol System
FAA CRS
Destin, FLA

Also, you must call transport canada and get a Canadian ferry permit. While on the phone, remember that you will need a transponder or a waiver from TSA/Border protection to cross into canada without the transponder...

Then you need the EAPIS fun...

easy really, just wear a helmet as you bang your head agains the wall...

So the order:

Local FSDO to get permit for us travel
mechanic to say it is airworthy, including ad's
Transport canada ferry permit, (they used to want you to have the us one first)
Transponder issue sorted
eapis
gas card

I sent your query to a friend in TC. He'll know what you'll need to do. Will post here when I hear back (so all will know) :)

...If the AD note says you can ferry, you can. If it doesn't you must comply with the AD note first.

NOT TRUE!

I posted a link somewhere here to a FAA LEAGLE ruling on this from the north east FSDO?(Maine?) can't find it now, any one got the link?

John (TC Inspector) said if you have a C of A, just file your flight plan. If not, go to your FSDO & get your ferry permit, They will help you with the TC stuff too. Contact info on the website: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/pacific/air-menu-1381.htm also see the "How do I" section. If you want John's email, PM me. He can answer specific questions. Have you not gone to your FAA FSDO office yet? That's the first step.

My FSDO is fairly strict - no field approvals. But I walked in a couple months ago with a ferry permit application, and walked out five minutes later with the approval. They said I could have avoided the visit if I had a fax machine.

The rules on A/Ds are changing. My PMI said that the A/D had to have a section authorizing flight under a ferry permit, or the A/D had to be done before ferry, and signed off.

FAA Order 8130.2G, Ch 4, Sec 13, Par 4-161(g): g. In accordance with 14 CFR § 39.23, some operations specifications may give an
operator the authority including the provision to fly an aircraft to a repair station to perform work
required by an AD. If the operator does not have this authority, the local FSDO may issue a
special flight permit in accordance with 14 CFR § 21.197(a) unless the airworthiness directive
states otherwise.
(1) In cases where the special flight permit paragraph is intentionally missing from an
AD, 14 CFR § 39.23 authorizes the issuance of a special flight permit, if the AD was published
after August 21, 2002 (the effective date of 14 CFR § 39.23). In all new ADs, the special flight
permit is authorized by 14 CFR § 39.23, and not the AD, unless the engineer determines that the
aircraft cannot be moved safely, and therefore the AD will include a paragraph that does not
allow any special flight permit or has certain restrictions.
(2) The ASI also has the authority under 14 CFR § 39.23 to deny a special flight permit
request for safety reasons as well as adding operating restrictions to the proposed route of flight.
An example of a justified denial would be a special flight permit request for operation over large
bodies of water or mountainous terrain with a single-engine aircraft that has an AD applicable to
the engine or propeller.
h. If the product is not an aircraft, and the AD does not provide for the product’s operation during a ferry flight, in accordance with 14 CFR § 39.7 the product may not be operated during such a flight. If the aircraft on which the product is installed can be operated safely without operating the product, a special flight permit could be issued in accordance with14 CFR § 21.197(a) with a limitation that the product be rendered inoperative for flight.

Back