• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Thought experiment-Cub around the world

Lasater

Texas
It must be a slow day, but I have been daydreaming about flying my PA-14 around the world. I know it has been done in a pair -12's some time ago, and somebody flew a Stearman around in 2000. Looking at some maps and other information, it looks like the longest leg on the northern Atlantic route is about 520 nm. I don't have a clue on fuel availability across Russia and the Aleutians. Of course you would want a healthy reserve. I am assuming that I would rebuild my airplane before the trip, and I was wondering the best way to outfit it. Do you go with Atlee Dodge 30 gal wing tanks and 30 gal pod, or do you install ferry tanks for the trip? Is 90 gallons enough fuel? 150 or 160 hp? Constant speed prop? HF? How much instrumentation for a VFR trip? Other safety modifications (the wacky Australian vet filled his J-3 with Ping-Pong balls for flotation)? How heavy would you be willing to fly?

if it's an exp get BCC wings with spar doublers and 82gal of fuel in the wings A BELLY POD IS DRAG. Constant speed prop to get some speed.180+hp to get it all off the ground and up to alt.hope and plan on VFR but be prepared for IFR. 406elt,spot and sat phone

For my example, I would be certified. The 180 hp is not a great option for the -14 because it involves a Citabria looking cowl. Nothing against the Citabria, but I like my Piper to look like a Piper. Constant speed would be to increase efficiency, but it may weigh too much. I like the fuel out of the cockpit for obvious reasons and to leave room for a raft.

Laseter,

Just come out to Australia and buy mine and start from here. I built my back country to fly around the 5 great southern capes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_southernmost_capes

But then I bought a farm. I now want to build a light weight cub just to dick around the property.

My plane has extended tanks in the wings, 2300 lb gross weight, 0-375 engine which takes mogas, big gear, and lots of baggage. 150 hours and ready to go.

colin

Search - Seattle World Cruiser. This is their second project. First was a mostly stock PA-18. Had fuel problems in Russia. Would make things a lot easier to go diesel power. Fuel everywhere. Jerry B.

I was just gven a copy of "Three Eight Charlie". It's about Jerrie Mock's solo circumnavigation in a C180 in 1964. From the first few pages it's gonna be a great read. I'm sure it would have a lot of pertinent stuff in it even for today. jrh

First thing... check if you can fly an experimental through any of the countries involved. They may not have a recip agreement with the USA.. like us Canucks not being able to fly our owner maintenance birds into the USA.

I recall a web site called "world rounders" or something similar. It's a log of the planes and people who have circumnavigated the globe in GA aircraft. If there are any recent entries you might be able to contact those folks for their ideas of necessary equipment.

you can try Aidan Loehr, owner of oddball pilots.com. He does a lot of ferry work all over the globe and has a really good handle on the navigational and communications equipment you would want.

Im flying the around the world cub. a 1993 PA-18. Bob and Diane Dempster did the trip and told me some of the equipment they used to make the trip. First pay someone who gets everything lined up ahead of time to cross into countrys and out of countrys. Probably one of the most important parts. They chose the 150 h.p for gas availabiliy would be my guess. They installed two 30 gallon wing tanks from Atlee dodge, a 50 gallon tank under the rear seat with a electric pump as well as a wobble pump incase the electric one stopped working. Then a 90 gallon Belly tank. Even then it was not enough gas capacity to get to Austrailia, they had to remove the wings and put it on a ship. other than that I know nothing more about there trip. I wish That I did it would be very interesting. They want to write a book called Dream Like you mean it and I hope that they do so I could hear about there adventure. I believe the plane would cruze at 100 mph with a cruse prop. They did mention that the key lock was on the battery cover to keep there battery from getting stolen. When I bought the plane it had about 1100 hours on it and no mention about there trip in the log books. They built the world cruzer biplane on floats and now getting ready to do it again, another great adventure. Great couple to talk too and I hope they make a safe trip, what adventure.

The diesel idea is interesting. Initial reports give the new Jet-A (diesel) 182 between 1000 and 1500 range with 88 gal tanks. The New(er) Scout could probably make the north Atlantic crossing with its 70 gal tanks. Cub is harder because of lower speed. Headwinds have a greater effect the slower your cruise is. I still think that 90 gallons in a cub would get you around the north Atlantic. The question is whether you can get an engine that will run safely on low quality mogas.

I found the website: earthrounders.com. The trip has been done many times. I looked at the single engine list: a lot of 210's and Bonanza's. Even a Pipistral. Pretty cool sight.

Lasater,

You have gone too far in your thinking not to do it. Your a man of my own heart. I am now looking for excuses not to join you.

cgoldy

ps : when I was researching this I was told that you couldn't cross the Atlantic unless you were IFR. But then I read about Wrong Way Corrigan (google him) and realised that it is better to get forgiveness (you know the rest)

Not to start thread creep, but I'm not quite ready for an around the world flight, but what about a flight to and around South America? I have often dreamed of that. Does anybody have any ideas where I can get some direction on that?

Thanks,
Dave

Hey - if anyone wants to try it in a Scout, I have a 90 gallon belly tank made for that. That's 160 gallons with the 70 in the wings. About 1920 mile range.

You should start a different thread - but I'd like to go down to Tierra Del Fuego too - from the far north.

Not to start thread creep, but I'm not quite ready for an around the world flight, but what about a flight to and around South America? I have often dreamed of that. Does anybody have any ideas where I can get some direction on that?

Thanks,
Dave

My Dad flew his Caravan from Fort Worth down the west coast of South America and back up the West Coast and then through the islands to Florida. It took two months with a lot of stops. His trip, and round the world trips in general, seem to be more of an exercise in navigating different bureaucracies than actual flying. He said that it made him realize how good we have it in the United States (and I would include Canada). Most countries do not believe in free skies. In most South American countries, every stop would include forms in triplicate, visits to three different offices, and cash only for gas. He had a great trip, but governments wore him down.

Back