• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Stock PA-12 real world performance

Pundy

Maine
I'm looking for some real world observations on an 0-235 powered, no flap, PA-12. Take off and landing stats? Climb? Etc?

As I recall (about 25 years ago) the stock 12 was a really fun airplane and no slouch in the performance as the stock airplane is very light. I have no numbers for you but if you get the chance ----fly it you will like it.

I've never owned a 12 and only have about 10 hrs in them but I used to fly with a guy that had a 0235 stock 12 and we had a lot of fun going into a lot of neat short places. He had a custom one built with flaps and a 0320 and it's a dog compared to the stock one.

Glenn

my stock PA-12 came with an O-235, no flaps. On a hot summer day at 6500 ft density altitude, it took about 1000 ft of ground roll, then another 1000 ft in ground effect until I could squeeze maybe 50 fpm climb. it was pitiful. VGs helped the performance tremendously, by allowing the plane to get into ground effect quicker. more horsepower cured the problem.

I flew mine in stock condition for a couple years. It flew real nice, but I think the bigger engine and flaps are a safety factor, so that when you push the noise-handle forward the plane goes up. Which ain't necessarily so with 100 HP. Just my opinion - -

my stock PA-12 came with an O-235, no flaps. On a hot summer day at 6500 ft density altitude, it took about 1000 ft of ground roll, then another 1000 ft in ground effect until I could squeeze maybe 50 fpm climb. it was pitiful. VGs helped the performance tremendously, by allowing the plane to get into ground effect quicker. more horsepower cured the problem.

If you think that was bad, try a J5A-75 near gross @ high DA...........:cry:

Perhaps I should mention (for Glenn) The only time I put on a stock 12 was here in Wisconsin where most airports and hayfields are at about 900 MSL. The plane I flew was very light at the published weight of 950. I don't know how that plane would perform at high density altitudes. I DO KNOW that my 12 with flaps and the O-320 is NO DOG even at the density altitudes encountered on several trips to the rocky mountain west. The VARIABLES in airplanes is unlimited. As much as I like super cubs, I recently delivered one for a fellow that was an overweight PIG. (too many bells and whistles) Could NOT wait to get back in my LIGHT ---O-320 powered PA-12---with flaps. Where you fly and what you plan to do with an airplane has a lot to do with WHAT airplane you want/need. A stock 12 is a fun airplane and certainly better than NO airplane. O.K. I'll jump down off my soapbox now--HA !--- REALLY like my 12---geezer Dan

I guess I should have mentioned that it's weight is 1055# and it has a 76/41 prop on it. Is 1055 considered relatively light?

Sounds heavy to me, for a stock 12. My 12--- 0-320 with flaps and a few other mods ---empty weight 1084. How much stuff is in it that you don't really need ?????

Last edited:
stock 12's do real good at lower altitudes/density altitudes. above 5000 they get pretty to really doggie...I had one about 40 years ago and remember it as a nice little plane... Don't remember the empty wieght...

Sounds heavy to me, for a stock 12. My 12--- 0-320 with flaps and a few other mods ---empty weight 1084. How much stuff is in it that you don't really need ?????

There's no doubt it could go on a bit of a diet, but not sure I could trim it back to the "original" weight of 950#. It does have a nicely upholstered interior which would appear to be pretty heavy. And there's a navcom in it that I'll never use. The paint is extremely nice, and I suspect a little on the fat side. Where else should I look to trim pounds?

Perhaps I should mention (for Glenn) The only time I put on a stock 12 was here in Wisconsin where most airports and hayfields are at about 900 MSL. The plane I flew was very light at the published weight of 950. I don't know how that plane would perform at high density altitudes. I DO KNOW that my 12 with flaps and the O-320 is NO DOG even at the density altitudes encountered on several trips to the rocky mountain west. The VARIABLES in airplanes is unlimited. As much as I like super cubs, I recently delivered one for a fellow that was an overweight PIG. (too many bells and whistles) Could NOT wait to get back in my LIGHT ---O-320 powered PA-12---with flaps. Where you fly and what you plan to do with an airplane has a lot to do with WHAT airplane you want/need. A stock 12 is a fun airplane and certainly better than NO airplane. O.K. I'll jump down off my soapbox now--HA !--- REALLY like my 12---geezer Dan

Dan like I said I don't have a lot of 12 time and half of that's on floats. But the new one my friends got won't go where the original one would.

Glenn

Glenn: Do you happen to know the empty weight ????? What prop ???VGs are really good too and don't weigh much......

Last edited:
Glenn: Do you happen to know the empty weight ????? What prop ???VGs are really good too and don't weigh much......

No. And I know that any one of those makes a difference. But if I find that out I might not be able to pick on you 12 guy's.

Glenn

Every time you up the horsepower, you up the weight, and you up the need for more fuel which equals more weight. There is always a price to pay - and the biggest one is in the handling of the original light airplane. A stock Cruiser flies beautifully. If you don't really need the bigger engine, then enjoy it for what it is. As to specs, each and every plane will fly differently - even when equipped identically.

Last edited:
A stock 12 does fly pretty nice ,however adding horsepower makes it sweater. the little extra weight from an 0-320 is negligable and the added hp makes up for it. I've built severa for customers and they all like it better.

John

"A stock 12 does fly pretty nice ,however adding horsepower makes it sweater. the little extra weight from an 0-320 is negligable and the added hp makes up for it. I've built severa for customers and they all like it better."

John, what's the average true cost, all in, for putting an 0-320 on the front of a -12 if I hire it done?

Keeping things light is what makes any plane more fun to fly. First learned to fly in a '52 supercub with 0-320 150 HP. No starter, no battery, no generater, no radios. Most fun plane I ever flew. Someone asked my friend where all that "stuff" was. His reply was "On the shelf in the hangar where it belongs". Sure miss my friend Glenn Short of Neillsville Wi. Shared his cub with me for more than 20 years. Cancer took him at 70 yrs young.

Pundy,
There are different ways to install an 0-320 on a 12. One is to use the long engine mount, requiring very little cowling mods. The other is to use the short mount which would require shortening the original cowlings. And oh by the way with both mods you have to change out the tail feathers to PA18 horizontals and elevators. Email me for more info. jswalt@comcast.net

I knew an old flyer from my home town that flew scenic rides in a 108 PA-12 when I was a kid. I helped rescue it off the rocks one evening when it broke loose from it's mooring and got a ride in it. Of course that was before we knew a 108 PA-12 was a boat ride only. Jim

Back