Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Nose Cowl W/O Oil Cooler Scoop

Post Thanks / Like

Nose Cowl W/O Oil Cooler Scoop

I am currently O/H my O-320 A2B making it a B2B. In the process, I am changing to a Plane Power Alternator and installing the Cub Crafters oil cooler STC providing a rear mount cooler. I already have the lightweight starter with a starter hole in the cowl. The CubCrafters STC says install the winterization plate in the cowl. I would like to have a little "cleaner" look that that so I looked for a nose cowl with a starter hole but no scoop. Not one made that I could find for a PA18-150. Is there an STC to use the PA18-125 nose cowl? Will that fit? Is there a PMA'd or STC'd cowl out there for the PA18-150 that has a starter hole but no scoop?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

Look closely at the parts manual for the different engines and electric / non-electric versions and then the Univair webpage. They have all configurations, I seem to have ended up with one of each. The variations are as follows: small/large prop hole, starter hole, oil cooler lip. A couple of ideas:

1) switch starters so you don't need the hole. I belive the Skytech N149L does not need the hole
    2) patch the hole - I have done two C172 oil filler hatch relocations and with a bit of filler it's not possible to see where the old hole was.

Regards, Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Don, I have looked at the Univair page and the only one that seems to make sense is large prop hole, with no starter or oil. If the Skytech starter does not need a hole, that would work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Use the glass nose bowl from Wag Aero. It's about as good of a fit as you will find. I mounted mine without boring a hole for the starter, but my bowl is mounted a tiny bit forward and doesn't leave enough space for the flange for a spinner. I also used the same nose bowl on a TriPacer that we had moved the oil cooler to the back baffle. Had to cut a hole for the starter nose, then installed a metal bump over the starter drive on the front of the cowl.

Post Thanks / Like
    Or ...
    Convert the old cooler hole to a fresh air intake. Use it for the rear seat heater.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3030063 cropped.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	10263

Name:	P3030061 cropped.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	10264

Name:	P1100365.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	10265
    Also, keep the large starter hole. The B&C starter has a pin that fits in the small starter housing. The large hole lets you use the pin to time the engine instead of using a more indirect method. Also the large hole lets you inspect the starter gear. Don't worry about air flow through these holes. The idea of a "pressure cowl" is unimportant in these slow planes.
    Last edited by Darrel Starr; 02-11-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, I have seen rectangular LED landing lights installed in the hole. With a pulselight included, that could be a good safety addition.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a nice looking intake there Darrel. What is your source for that unit?

Post Thanks / Like
    I built it. Aluminum perforated sheet from McMaster-Carr, a 2 inch diameter round outlet flange from Aircraft Spruce. The rest is .032 thk 2024 T3 alum, bent into shape & riveted together. Really, pretty simple.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is first class work. My compliments!

From a certification standpoint, how did you handle that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Small change - no 337.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick reply!