• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Propeller Ballancing

The UPS package had 2# written on it. At least half that was packaging. The product itself is quite light. The thickness isn't a concern. My prop bolts and spinner should work just fine. I can weigh it and put a mic on the flange tonight but I estimate it to be in the .062 range. But that's a guess. I haven't spent a lot of time looking at it, just out and back into the box very quickly to make sure it wasn't bent in shipping.

I installed the Balance Masters (http://store.balancemasters.com/osC...d=248&osCsid=20e0c32910d26bf0898890308a9f1662) product for Lycoming yesterday on my SQ-2. My prop seemed fairly well balanced to start with (at least I haven't seemed to notice any particularly bad vibration previoiusly that is). But, I figured if this product makes a good situation even better, and reduces any prop/engine wear due to even minor vibration, then it is money well spent.

After flying for an hour+ I believe the prop is noticeably smoother. How much so--can't say. Just seems smoother. Easy to install; Works as advertised. Company good to deal with.

Give you a heads up to be aware of when you get the Balance master mounted. You might notice some chatter at start up and at shut down and even at real low RPM until the mercury finds its place.

First off, due to spring weather in Idaho, I was not able to fly for 31 straight days! AFTER installing the BalanceMaster on the Rotax. One day was good, and that was the day I had to work, good craning weather is also good flying weather it turns out. So, I was rusty, and this was also going to be my first takeoff of the year on my summertime runway, though still on the wheel skis. Put these factors all together, and an approaching rain storm (but a few hours away) and it took me a moment during my runup to remember this was the first time starting since I installed the balancer, THEN I noticed the engine had a lope to it, not a miss but something was different. After checking everything out I decided to just go for it, and the takeoff was normal enough. Then I forgot about the lope for a few minutes, while I transitioned to the skis and messed with the Sirius radio, my usual post takeoff routine.

THEN I realized the lope was gone, and it occurred to me that maybe the quicksilver needed a bit of time to do it's thing. My crane truck wheels do the same, which also have a similar product on the wheels, it takes just a bit to smooth out then it is SMOOTH. Nonetheless, it was gratifying to see flyrite's above quote stating that this was normal and to be expected. Was it smoother, yes. But I only flew for .7 hrs, but so far so good.

I have had the current Prince prop on for 997 hours, in 5 years, mostly dirt strips and off airport, though it continues to look pristine. Point being, I have no idea if it is still balanced, or maybe a bit off and I've just gotten used to it, whatever, it is smoother now. I'm trying real hard not let the placebo effect make me think it's smoother just because I spent the money, but I am a believer in the concept, and it wasn't that much money, so I am pleased and am looking forward to more time on it, and not with another 31 day layoff which was distracting.

I’d be interested in an experiment if you have the inclination...

Fly a solid 2 weeks like you normally would with the thing installed. Then remove it for a week.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on that.

Totally understand if you don’t want to do it though.

Here it is my experience with the balance master product, no affiliation with the company but I’m very pleased with my results after having mounted it on 3 of my mounts. On my RV, was already pretty smooth running prop. the master made it smoother but not noticeably to somebody without a lot of time in the seat of that plane. In my aerobatic mount with a three blade Catto,had a considerable amount of vibration through out the RPM range so it was more noticeable in smoothing out the vibration from the beginning. It had had two balance jobs with washers mounted to the backing plates . That plane was constantly suffering cracks in little small bulkhead’s, tank straps and such. That problem got solved!
Mounted the master on my swamp monster, trying to resolve engine pulses when I tried to go to a plastic Prop to stop engine mount cracking. Helped a lot but Could not overcome the lack of dampening with the wooden Prop being removed so had to go back to one.
Chris Gamble the man who owns the product offers a money back guarantee for 90 days. No way to go wrong ,if you don’t like the product send it back. I think he offers to even pay shipping on returns.

Last edited:
I’d be interested in an experiment if you have the inclination...

Fly a solid 2 weeks like you normally would with the thing installed. Then remove it for a week.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on that.

Totally understand if you don’t want to do it though.

Don't know if I'll do that or not, but great idea. What I WILL do is rack up time on it, starting in about 10 minutes unless the work phone rings. It looks like it's weight, 10 Oz's,, will be negated by me getting rid of the 1" hub spacer I now have and replacing it with a 3 mm spacer, all I need for cowl clearance. Not sure why I've been running that thicker and heavier spacer then needed all this time, probably because I had it, meant to replace it, and forgot about it! Shorter bolts also of course, more weight gone.

PHP:
Just installed balance master, unfortunately, replaced worn rubber engine mount bushings at the same time. flown about an hr, feels smoother through whole rpm range, I think... - $370 smoother? Not sure yet.

how about add a weight to ring gear instead of removing balance master to test its effectiveness,
i might try that after I get a few more hrs on it

Last edited:
I'll cut right to the chase, and I won't take 20 hours to do it! I just flew 1.2 hrs, and there is NO QUESTION it is much smoother, at all RPMs. This time, like I said earlier, without the distraction of poor weather and not flying for 31 days. Here is a poor simile for those who have never flown with a 3 blade prop: in the Rotax 912S engine world it is generally accepted that a light carbon fiber 3 bladed prop is as smooth as it gets, which is extremely smooth. Twice I have made the switch from a 2 to a 3 blader, and each time the 2 blade runs a bit rougher. Obviously (I guess) it is because the gobs of air it is throwing behind are bigger, per gob. Or maybe it's more complicated then that, but I believe in the cert aircraft world, a 3 blader is generally considered smoother?? Well now, the close to 1000 hour (with the balance never checked) 78" Prince 2 blade prop is as smooth as the smoothest brand new 3 blade prop I've ever flown behind.

And, I didn't seem to get the loping action on startup this time, maybe because I gave it a burst of higher R's and that helped the quicksilver get to where it needed to be, quicker. I'm done with my testing, I'm sold, it's a keeper.

Last edited:
Back