• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lowrider LSA

Just realized the boat's in the hanger with a pallet of cedar in front of it and I need to put the forks on the tractor loader to move the cedar so I can go fishing...life isn't always fair!!

Hey Sky!!

Good to hear from you!!

Logic would dictate in that direction but if I could post a picture of my shop you would understand my problem...STUFF! I went from a 4400 sf house to 1800 sf and the shop went from 2400 sf to 2000 sf and there is a 50' door between the hanger and shop which isn't suitable for shelve and benches. I think I have found most of the big parts to the plane and I left off with getting ready to cover the other wing which requires some fair amount of space...ain't as simple as it sounds.

I'm trying to not whine about my shop should have been bigger than 40' x 50' and it will resolve itself...whine, whine, whine!!!

It came to my attention, rather it was brought to my attention repeatedly that I have some work to do on the house, the shop, the hanger, my mower, my tractor and two other neglected aircraft that can't fly at the moment. Oh yeah, there's the yard landscaping, 2 large stumps and dead-fall, the driveway...you get the point.

My 170 is stuck in Ohio and my Challenger needs a new engine which I plan to upgrade to make it more suited to float flying. If I win the lottery I will pay someone to deal with these issues. Until then, I need to get some priorities set that don't call for immediately working on the LSA. I worked yesterday in the shop and cleared a 30' x 15' space and I can actually see the floor, all the time looking at the LSA wing hanging on the wall that needs to be skinned.

I need to get some other stuff done before I can concentrate on the LSA. I may not be the only person faced with decisions such as this but I DON"T LIKE IT...where's that lotto ticket anyway.

Good news, bad news. #1 son and I took my flatbed trailer behind the little Nissan Frontier to Eastern Ohio where my 170 was stuck for 5 years, pulled the wings and loaded it on the trailer and headed back home. Great people at the airport but really sucky weather...over a 100F "feel like" temps but then I guess most of the folks on the East Coast experienced it too so I'll stop whining. I may never go East of the Missouri River again. Wonderful to get back to cool dry weather in Northern Idaho. Made room in the hanger and put the 170 fuselage and wings inside. After several days of looking, measuring and looking some more I'm pretty well convinced that not only is the right landing gear box bent it looks like the fuselage is also twisted. Did it happen when I ran off the runway in Delaware or was it torqued in a wind storm while tied down in Ohio? I suppose it really doesn't matter at this point...question is...what to do now.

I've thought about putting the 170 wings and original 145 horse Conti engine (350 hours to TBO and runs like a sewing machine) on the Lowrider LSA, but then I have one mostly done wing built and another pretty much ready to skin. Also i have a half yellow tagged 0-320 getting close to sending the jugs off to get worked over to get at least the 160 hp and hopefully more. I'm not worried about the 51% rule but then the 170 wing is NOT as good performance wise as the LSA wing design and it's a 1948 metalized wing with no apparent problems, smaller flaps and different attach points. What to do...what to do??

Yesterday, in a weak moment, I went motorcycle shopping. I stumbled upon a pristine Suzuki 1250 Bandit with 7500 miles for a very good price and bought it. I had a 2002 1200 cc Bandit and gave it to #2 son while he was in college with the idea of him giving it back when he graduated. Well, that day came and went and I got the "can I keep it Dad?" question and in a weak moment I agreed.

There's something about a bike that's faster than your airplanes to clear your head. I'm anticipating a moment of clarity soon!!

Biggest news is our EAA chapter just scored a Technical Advisor with 47 years as an AI, jet and helo pilot/mechanic loves experimental air frames and building one-off engines and best of all he is friends with the local FAA folks. I have high hopes of picking his brain as soon as he get his hanger built and tools put in their place.

Yes, the Bandit is faster than my airplanes. I took a 600 miles ride to Glacier National Park and beautiful places in MT and ID. Love that Clark Fork River valley. I've ridden it more times than I can remember and I see something new and very impressive each trip. Smoke was very thick in some places but on my way home form Kalispel it cleared out some which improved the ride. I had 2 trips planned into Canada this Summer but it looks like the snow will fly before they open the borders. Also running low on maple syrup.

Stay safe and well and keep in mind Spring is only 6 months away!!

Hey Courier!!

I have a neighbor interested in the E-81 Subaru and I think I remember you flew one for some period. Can't get much info on the web and parts seem to be drying up as well. When you get a chance would you please give me a shout on email.

Thanks!!

Never heard from Courier.

Have been working on #1 son's ultralight, rebuilding a Rotax 277 and building a sorta close to my Challenger wing. I always thought ultralight planes were silly but the more time I spend playing with his the more sense they make if you don't want to go far or fast...or spend my money or take a long time to build or 12 other reasons to consider an ultralight. I do see where weight limits may/do present some safety issues but then all planes will fall out of the air if you give them half a chance.

Not to worry...Lowrider LSA is still in the hanger and will rise again!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy and healthy New Year to all!!!

I read something this morning that FAA is considering thinking about looking into the possible study of changes to the LSA standards...that's the way I read it anyway. Apparently the China Bug is responsible for the lack of progress on rule making although it didn't really say that so maybe it's just too hard to get governmental agreement on what should be done to make the LSA industry successful by allowing them to do whatever. The part of the US Government I retired from made decision in a timely manner and sometimes that meant in seconds, not years and made those decisions work...most of the time. Yes, I'm frustrated and that is part of the reason why I'm not excited enough to work on my "up scale" LSA that should perform and carry a load like a real Super Cub. My wonderful wife thinks I should be happy that we live in a state that allows indoor dining and I can push snow in my heated tractor cab without a mask...and yes I am happy about those things. Perhaps 2021 will be a more productive year...and with that thought...HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone.

Gosh...it's Spring already...seems like I should be outside doing something other than cleaning the built up mud on my truck. We moved from Sandpoint to Athol to live on an airport and paved streets and I still have 2 trucks and 3 cars with mud all over them...doesn't seem fair. Down to 3 motorcycle and one on order but only one dirt bike left. Sold both snow machines and less than a couple feet of snow this past Winter and only mud on the taxiway. Still have 2 airplanes in the hanger both need an annual and I need a BFR and spent all winter working in the shop mostly NOT on airplanes...not that I haven't thought about it. Tied up now welding up a trailer for my little Duroboat and I have a 12'x36' concrete pad to pour as soon as the mud dries up so I can get a concrete truck into the yard. It will be very nice to have concrete and not mud in front of the shop for a change. I broke my backhoe trying to dig a 36" Doug Fir stump out last fall. When that happened I just attacked the stump with a chain saw and buried what was left. I long for the days when you could buy dynamite at the local hardware store...guess it's been a long time hasn't it!

OK...done whining...I have a plan in the back of my little mind on getting started on finishing the right wing for the LSA hoping it will match the left one hanging on the wall and I want to put a new 4 stroke (rebuilt) engine on my little Challenger and get it annualled (is that a word) and in the air this summer. Yeah, I know you've heard all this before and my wife has 3 trips planned for the Summer if Canada ever opens up again I want to spend some time in BC before the snow flies...these weeks are flying by faster each month...seems like it was just New Years.

Happy Spring to everyone, stay healthy and fly safe...I have my shots so if I bite someone it's OK.

Gosh...it's Spring already...seems like I should be outside doing something other than cleaning the built up mud on my truck. We moved from Sandpoint to Athol to live on an airport and paved streets and I still have 2 trucks and 3 cars with mud all over them...doesn't seem fair. Down to 3 motorcycle and one on order but only one dirt bike left. Sold both snow machines and less than a couple feet of snow this past Winter and only mud on the taxiway. Still have 2 airplanes in the hanger both need an annual and I need a BFR and spent all winter working in the shop mostly NOT on airplanes...not that I haven't thought about it. Tied up now welding up a trailer for my little Duroboat and I have a 12'x36' concrete pad to pour as soon as the mud dries up so I can get a concrete truck into the yard. It will be very nice to have concrete and not mud in front of the shop for a change. I broke my backhoe trying to dig a 36" Doug Fir stump out last fall. When that happened I just attacked the stump with a chain saw and buried what was left. I long for the days when you could buy dynamite at the local hardware store...guess it's been a long time hasn't it!

OK...done whining...I have a plan in the back of my little mind on getting started on finishing the right wing for the LSA hoping it will match the left one hanging on the wall and I want to put a new 4 stroke (rebuilt) engine on my little Challenger and get it annualled (is that a word) and in the air this summer. Yeah, I know you've heard all this before and my wife has 3 trips planned for the Summer if Canada ever opens up again I want to spend some time in BC before the snow flies...these weeks are flying by faster each month...seems like it was just New Years.

Happy Spring to everyone, stay healthy and fly safe...I have my shots so if I bite someone it's OK.

I woke up last night.

I was on line ordering a new pair of wading boots when it suddenly hit me...what the hell are you doing??!! I can barely walk on land so I have no business wading in a fast stream to catch a fish...but I love it.

In 1971 I was sprayed with Agent Orange and it's apparently taking it's time effecting me. VA won't help since I can't prove it and it happened at Eglin AFB and I have no orders for my visit to Cambodia. I had a heart attack in 2001, got type 2 diabetes in 2003 and peripheral neuropathy in 2004. Had a triple bypass...heart fixed...diabetes is under control...A1C is 6.4 neighborhood...neuropathy is running rampant and taking feeling away from most of my body including my hands. In 2019 my tractor 3 point hitch fell and smashed my left hand...hand doc did a great job making it look normal but nerves and dexterity...not so much...little feeling and strength...can't pick up a rivet or control my TIG with feet or hand...so that's where I am. Can I fly an airplane...probably but should I? I bought a new Honda NC750DCT with an auto transmission and it works great with no clutch or foot shift lever...feel perfectly safe on it...Harley, Bandit and dirt bikes not really...fine in the cars and trucks and ATV, etc. AND...my far vision is 20/20 but up close I can't focus properly. I built 2 small trailers over last Winter and my welding is not so good since I can't see up close very well. I'm only 73 so last visit to my doc was due to a tripping fall where I cracked 3 or 4 ribs and dislocated my collar bone...all good now.

I have a lot of time, effort and money tied up in the Lowrider LSA and at least 2 or 3 years of work left on it. I feel that I'm letting a bunch of people down if I don't finish it...with half a million views and huge assistance from Sky and lots of others on this site I sincerely regret my decision to stop work on the plane. There I said it...don't wanta but it seems to be the right thing to do. If I finish it I probably shouldn't fly it anyway. I've been flying since May 1968 with my first solo in a 150 at the Homestead AFB aero club...that brings more than one terribly sad thought. Aviation has been very good to me and it has been part of my life for a long time...sometimes the right thing to do is the hardest thing to do.

I want to thank everyone who supported and gave technical expertise to me and were "far away friends" throughout my project.

Fly safe and be well.

Lowrider

Wow Low, at least you've been busy during retirement. Hint today is November 1st, it is not spring, spring and summer are over. :lol: It doesn't matter whether you go flying or not. Keeping busy is more important. It keeps the brain cells buzzing. Just be careful around machinery. I spent the last few days with a chain saw cleaning up after the big wind this week. A couple of oaks fell down between my hangar and the water. The exercise was good. Take care.

Hey Sky,Good to hear you're on the top of the grass. I put forks on my tractor yesterday and hauled 21 ten foot logs to the community burn pile...mostly 4-6" scrub pine...some mine and some neighbors. my neighbor across the taxiway is an old A-4 and AA 777 Capt but is afraid of chain saws so I'm hauling his wood too. Pile is maybe 20' high so it will be too big for a weenie roast. Once the snow covers everything 10 gallons of diesel sprayed around the pile and it's a big event.Hope things are going well for you and keep moving ahead!

Nice to hear from you, Lowrider. I've been wondering how you were doing. I think I flew over your place a month ago and didn't know it.

Sounds like you have plenty on your plate, no matter what happens.

Thanks RV! Hackney is a very quiet place except for all the airplane sounds. If anyone wants to stop by on skis watch out for snow machines...Santa must have dropped off a dozen or more. I sold both of mine and regret it now...should be treated like guns and motorcycles...only buy more not sell.

I finally got my membership paid. It took some level of effort to get a new email posted... or maybe I'm just technology challenged. In case anyone cares the new one is: joedickey@reagan.com

A bit late but....Happy and healthy New Year to everyone!!

Hackney as in ID05? That’s where I’m based.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Sounds like that makes us neighbors. We're next to the last house on the long taxi way...East end, North side...tan hanger.

Just spent half and hour typing and for some reason when I hit "post" it disappeared...bad form.

Anyway...Bad winter here and we're moving it AZ. Property on Hackney is for sale along with 21/2 airplanes.

Let's see if this will post!

Back