Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556
Results 2,201 to 2,213 of 2213

Thread: Lowrider LSA

Post Thanks / Like
    These are lithium-ion batteries. The good ones are lithium-iron.
    N1PA

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Sir...you're right Sky...wonder if that's a spelling error...one silly little "r" can make a difference. I had a professor that didn't care about spelling as long as you get the point across...it clearly matters here!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

There are no new ways to crash an airplane no matter how hard you may try!

Post Thanks / Like
    Low, I suspect that is the correct spelling as it mentions Boeing as being the only other entity which had them approved. AND it was the bad ones which Boeing was using. It's easy to get them wrong as people don't pronounce words the same as the next person. These two different battery compounds always seem to be pronounced the same, even by being abbreviated to "Lithium". I made up a little phrase to remember it by. "Strong like Iron".
    N1PA

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    That makes it easy to remember regardless of how it's said.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happy St Patrick's Day!!
    Tip a brew or two after wheels down for the day!!

Spring like weather is here in North Idaho and the weather guessers say we're loosing an inch of snow per day so we're moving in the right direction!! Shorts weather can't be far behind.

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Back to aeroplanes...warmer weather is getting some planes in the air and pilots out of the house. Some off and on rain is holding up putting my walls up and I bumped the truss delivery a couple weeks due to road weight restriction...pretty much like AK but hopefully will open up sooner.

I had another discussion with a couple AI's, one of which used to build VW race engines back in the day...he's a fan of Vdubs in the planes and he's making me think about putting one in my little Challenger Long Wing in place of the 2 stroke 503 again. Last time I brought this up we (those who responded) were pretty much in favor of Lyc or Cont. in place of the Rotax. Guess I'm still looking for pro's and con's to get 60+ hp on the little airplane. Weight and CG are not really an issue for the Challenger since I almost always fly solo anyway and the long wing has a pretty healthy gross weight/useful load.

Any thoughts??

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the lack of response certainly prevents dispute.

One of the contentions raised during the VW discussion was that a "designed for airplane" air cooled engine that had it's roots in an opposed German car engine using modern design, technique and materials should be just as reliable as any Lyc or Cont., both of which have had design improvements and upgrades over the years. I stand by that thought since my Harley's engine doesn't in the least resemble a 1903 or early motorcycle engine but it is still a 2 holer "V" and air cooled...argument seems to hold water.

New airplane engines designed in the last few years resemble car engine evolution and not following old style airplane movers. Maybe that makes sense to follow auto technology that improves on an almost daily basis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I was thinking of building a Heath Parasol until it became apparent that it would be difficult to get a Henderson motorcycle engine in a good airworthy condition.
    N1PA

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.ebay.com/i/153437170755?chn=ps and a good machinist can solve that problem for you. I'd like to follow that build!!
    OEM Henderson Detroit Heath Airplane Motor KJ Excelsior Engine Deluxe K Engine

1 viewed per hour

$4,900.00

+ $188.35 Shipping

• Get it by Monday, Apr 15 from Watsonville, California

•  • Used condition
    •  • 30 day returns - Buyer pays return shipping

A Detroit Henderson cutoff motor. WE WILL FIX IT!

Likes skywagon8a liked this post

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I've been AWOL but the house is coming along...roof is on and I'm half way thru the siding. Electrical rough-in is mostly done and just about finished interior framing and trying to get inspections behind me so we can get insulation and sheet rock underway.

Haven't lost interest in the LSA and with any luck I'll be back on it when the snow flies. Keep the faith!

Post Thanks / Like
    The curse of being handy. I know guys who aren't handy, hire everything done but seem to have all the time in the world. They always say, "I wish I could do that." My response, "You can, but be careful what you wish for." You'll get what you think is important to you done. It might not be in the time frame or order you were hoping for, but does it really matter? As long as you have a to do list and enjoy working on the list more or less.

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're right Jim...sometimes it is a curse. My son and I are doing 90% of the work and it's great having his help and he's learning new skills and he grumbles a bit but still likes to be working with me...that makes it all worthwhile. I grew up working with my Dad building houses in the 50's/60's in Central Florida and the feeling of accomplishment is still there...I just can't work as fast or hard as I did back then. With the help of our state plumbing inspector we both learned enough to get thru that...NOT that I want to become a plumber...one day at a time and things get done.

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Getting propane hook up in the morning and will have hydronic heat and hot water by the end of the day. We're making good progress but still won't be complete until the first of the year. Just getting started on the cedar ceiling in the "great room" and still have about 900 SF of Pergo XP flooring to get down...old back, knees and other parts are not exactly happy about it but we'll be doin it anyway. Back sidewalks and patio concrete get a run of hydronic tubes to keep the snow melted but still have the 6' snowblower ready to hookup on the little orange tractor front end loader and blow the stuff away from the house. Heat in the shop feels good but the hanger isn't insulated yet and probably won't be for awhile. 4 kayaks, 2 canoes and 13' Alaska Kaboat are pushed into the corners and will be hung up from the trusses before too long. Harley and dirt bikes were sorely neglected this summer as were the boats...no hunting this Fall but I did get good look at a full grown cougar a couple miles from the house...a neighbor shot a very nice one about 3 years ago while he (the cougar) was breaking into the chicken house. My wife got a Golden Doodle for last Christmas and it sure isn't a hunting doggie so maybe I need a new German Short Hair pup from Santa.

Wishing everyone a great and pretty Fall, good health, blue skies and calm winds...I remain...Lowrider... with at least one plane to finish.

Likes Bill Rusk liked this post