• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

T for Trouble

To heck with almost hitting the photographer. He dayum near caught a wingtip.

When has it been against FAR's to fly low down a runway????

It looks to me like the people on the runway are the problem... I wonder what the story really is.

I don't think the waiver is an issue...

When has it been against FAR's to fly low down a runway????

It looks to me like the people on the runway are the problem... I wonder what the story really is.

I don't think the waiver is an issue...

It has almost always been against FAR's to fly low down a runway,,,,except to LAND! Only possible exception to that is a legit go around(practice or for real) There have been MANY violations and convictions for the so called "low pass"...... Simply put, runways are to land and takeoff from and are otherwise not exempted from low flying and other FAR's.

In many cases little attention is paid to a low pass but in this case I suspect he has a BIG problem?

Doing wheelies on the runway with a 4wheeler? It looks to me like the responsibility goes to that guy. Plane was just doing a go around.Im with you george. And the other thing thats weird is how did someone just happen to be standing right there by the guy on the 4wheeler by the runway and get that video to the tv station. TV people dont stand by runways. Something smells.

Last edited:
The 4 wheeler is doing wheelies in the residual smoke from the last pass. They may not have been together, but they knew they were there. I think it was staged

It has almost always been against FAR's to fly low down a runway,,,,except to LAND! Only possible exception to that is a legit go around(practice or for real) There have been MANY violations and convictions for the so called "low pass"...... Simply put, runways are to land and takeoff from and are otherwise not exempted from low flying and other FAR's.

In many cases little attention is paid to a low pass but in this case I suspect he has a BIG problem?

This thread brings up a question I have always had nagging in the back of my mind. Would it be illegal in a 25 mph aircraft to land on the numbers, lift off to 2-3' and fly to mid field landing again just before the turnoff? From the above it sounds like it but to me it's safer than plugging up the runway. Would it be illegal if you didn't touch the numbers but instead increased power to stay at 2-3 feet till mid field? It is how helicopters operate at our field

very ken block ish
how about the red bull racer on youtube buzzing the tower...never heard anything about that going bad

Would'nt the first question just be a bounced landing and the second one a long landing.:oops: I like flying full length of the runway at 2 -3 feet on centerline at landing speed in a crosswind for good practice. Is that not what "cleared for the option" means.

This thread brings up a question I have always had nagging in the back of my mind. Would it be illegal in a 25 mph aircraft to land on the numbers, lift off to 2-3' and fly to mid field landing again just before the turnoff? From the above it sounds like it but to me it's safer than plugging up the runway. Would it be illegal if you didn't touch the numbers but instead increased power to stay at 2-3 feet till mid field? It is how helicopters operate at our field

When cleared to land on a runway by ATC, the entire runway is yours. As a courtesy, I generally inform (not ask) the tower that I'm going to land long.

There is NO requirement that you actually land in the first xxx feet of the runway in any case.

At uncontrolled airports, same applies, and again, I generally announce on the CTAF that I'm going to land long.

When doing so, I would assume that you'd fly a normal approach slope to your intended touchdown point, NOT descend as if you were going to land on the numbers, then slow fly down the runway to a mid field touchdown.

Then again, we routinely have students fly down a runway without touching down, but a foot or so high to help them get a feel for landing. In tailwheel airplanes, we do wheel landings, high speed taxi down the runway, takeoff and one wheel landings and high speed taxi the length of the runway. None of that is illegal or immoral. I try not to do that stuff in a really busy pattern, cause it takes a lot of time, and can hold up others.

MTV

Requesting a low pass at a towered field is no big deal. Doing a low pass at uncontrolled fields is common for surface inspection. While the video was almost certainly staged, posting it on You Tube was asking for trouble. Sounds like he got it.

When cleared to land on a runway by ATC, the entire runway is yours.
MTV

Agreed, you own the runway.. there should be no issue on a long (low traffic) strip making several touch or for that matter stop_and_go's in a single run. It's about giving way (courtesy) where needed.

what FAR says you can not fly low down the runway and not touch down?

What precedent has been set with enforcement. And I mean for flying down a runway, not doing it inverted, or some other stupid move (without waivers)?

I have never, ever seen anything like that before.

Steve

it wouldn't take Lee too long to figure that deal out with the family car. Set up some cones and barricades at the airport to let him practice, post up some go pro videos for us to see

jim

He thought it was a buzzard on the runway and made a low pass to make it clear off. Besides it was way more than 2 feet. Texas doesn't need CNN messin' around.

Back