• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Why Experienced Pilots......

I've never flown a Luscombe and I'm impressed. The second landing (third link) was outstanding.

I wonder who owns the house at the end of the strip and what he thinks of his neighbor's airport.

He did a great job. I didn't know Luscombes could do that!

I'm guessing he only flies out of there when it's good and cold.

I have been blessed to fly a Luscombe while I am restoring my -12.

The Luscombe in this video is an 8F. Luscombe introduced flaps with this model. My guess is that it has a C-90 on it. Luscombes are no brake airplanes. You don't need them and you don't want to get on them on roll out or there will be a good chance you will go on your back.

Luscombes are not known as STOL planes and they can not carry the load that the Cub family of planes can carry. They do not have the wing that a Cub has. They are one of the fastest planes for the horsepower. In my opinion, this is due to the wing and to the frontal area that they have around the cowling. They are a sweet flying plane. The control harmony in a Luscombe is very light and they are a joy to fly. The Luscombe I fly is an 8A. It has metal wings and a C-75 on it. With me(190 LBS), full fuel(24 gallons), I am just about at gross weight with a passenger who weighs about 180 LBS and no baggage. I have flown the plane overgross. It is sluggish and you can feel in in the controls once you take off.

With this being said, Luscombes make great 1 place airplanes as they give the pilot extra room inside the cockpit. If you take someone with you, you better like who you are sitting next to. They are very cozy.

I know of some Luscombes out there with O 200s in them. They are a hot rod and will easily see 120 MPH cruise! There are some with O 320s in them but I would think that they are nose heavy and would ruin the wonderful flying characteristics of the plane.

I am not a Luscombe expert in any way, just sharing my experiences with this plane. If I was going Light Sport, I would certainly look at a Luscombe!

My friend Jack,0-200 with 75-35 prop.Before he went in there he practiced at our strip about a mile away.We marked off the strip at 100ft intervals for 500ft.When he could get on in that distance and take-off in the same he decided he was good to go into his home strip.He flys an ultralight out of there.His father flew a Luscombe out of there for years but it was all fields then.The people in the end house tried to shut him down but the court sided with Jack.I suggested he not take his 180 in there:lol:
Bill

I had no idea a Luscombe could do that, gotta say I am very impressed. No room for an engine out tho.

Back