Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Very helpful FAA inspector! Airworthiness papers.

Post Thanks / Like

Very helpful FAA inspector! Airworthiness papers.

I have been in and around the Denver FSDO for 20 or so years. I go visit every 2 years for the CFI renewal. I just bough a new plane (Scotish Aviation Bulldog)and the airworthiness and the operating limitations were all messed up. The usual answer is find a DAR they can help! I must pat the Denver FSDO on the back. I contacted them around 12:00 on a Thursday, told them the situation. I knew what they would need to reissue the C of A and limitations. I had it to them around 16:30 that afternoon. The inspector told me he would have it back to me soon. I told him I would be passing by the FSDO in the morning and would check with him. I though no way would this be possible! Wrong not only was all the paper work ready for me the next morning it was ready at 07:45 and he even meet me at the guard shack of the facility so I would not have to go inside to pick it up.

This was a fairly new inspector but a great and very helpful individual. I hope this is the new norm! I love this country and hate all the BS as of late and it was sure a breath of fresh air for GA in my eyes..

Brandon
    Last edited by Superchub; 01-13-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not all FAA people are bad. I know a few pretty good ones that have bent over backwards to help me when I really needed it.
    I fly IFR (I Follow Roads).

Post Thanks / Like
    There ARE a lot of good folks in the FAA, and its always nice to hear of a case of good customer service from the FAA.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    There are many good FAA inspectors out there, most hired from the ranks of Pilots and A&Ps out there working for a living every day. The worst are the ambitious, power hungry, ego-maniac types that are clawing their way up to get to the highest GS- whatever number they can achieve....

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard a story like that yesterday. There is hope.

Post Thanks / Like
    The portland ME FSDO domes down for our 141 flight school, and 135 aztec for charter, and they are nothing shy of great to work with. Although, i have herd boston fsdo is the exact opposite. Glad im working with portland.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    The portland ME FSDO domes down for our 141 flight school, and 135 aztec for charter, and they are nothing shy of great to work with. Although, i have herd boston fsdo is the exact opposite. Glad im working with portland.

Tom
    Tom, The good ones come and go. As soon as you become comfortable with one, he gets shipped out and you need to start over training a new one. Do not become complacent, most of them are not your friend. Some are your friend but, watch your six.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, the Portland FSDO has some really great people. Granted, they have a job to do so be mindful, but a fair number of the Portland guys and gals are from the ranks of ordinary pilot/AP citizens. I've seen them really help out a lot of people and go out of their way not to drop the boom or overeact (ask Cliffy about this), so I sing their praises at present and consider us really lucky.
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special

Post Thanks / Like
    I have met some really good guys from the Boston FSDO.One inspector used my plane for a checkride.The certification offfice though came right out and told me they would not work with me on some proposed modifications.I asked if they would give that answer to me in writing.You can guess their reply.
    I have met some of the Portland guys and they seemed pretty cool.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    In writing? Their guidelines require that they answer you in writing with one of four answers. Good luck getting them to do that. When their guidelines permit them to blow you off, they act like they are binding. Guidelines are not binding.

Boston? One of my favorite stories - 6:30 AM we pulled in to the gate, unloaded, and this really nice inspector came on board for a ramp check. He apologized, saying he knew that we had flown all night, and would make it as quick as possible, so we could go to the hotel. When I told him we were continuing to Columbus, he folded his notebook and wished us good luck!

Columbus at 11 AM after flying all night? Surreal!