• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wing strut weight

7shannon

Deer Park, WA
What is the concensus about the best setup for light weight struts for an experimental supercub? I bought a steel set that were made for a Wag Aero that weigh 10.8 pounds each completely welded up and ready to bolt on without the forks. This seems heavy to me, but my researching streamline tubing so far tells me the heavy duty alum. strut tubing weighs almost a pound a foot, so does not look like making new ones out of aluminum would be worth the trouble. Is there a better alternative I am not finding? Are the DE struts significantly lighter?

J-3 struts are "significantly" lighter than PA-18 struts. I don't have any weight data on hand, but it could be found here at SC.ORG

Are they appropriate for your project?......Depends on what kindof experimental SuperCub you're going for.

I am shooting for light as possible, trying to fit into the sport pilot category, but still be able to handle 1700-1800 pound gross weight safely. Also installing float fittings.
thx, Kevin

I am shooting for light as possible, trying to fit into the sport pilot category, but still be able to handle 1700-1800 pound gross weight safely. Also installing float fittings.
thx, Kevin
"sport pilot category, but still be able to handle 1700-1800 pound gross weight safely" So you feel comfortable reducing the margin of safety with the main device which holds your wings on?

[QUOTE" So you feel comfortable reducing the margin of safety with the main device which holds your wings on?[/QUOTE]

I believe you mis-interpreted my question, I am interested in reducing weight, not strength. So to say it differently, do aluminum struts exist that are strong enough for PA18 gross weights and are sigificantly lighter than the steel ones I have which are 10.8 pounds apiece?
thx Kevin

Back