• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Justification for Flying

mvivion

SPONSOR
Bozeman,MT
Sent by a friend:

For a number of years I was afraid to calculate my exact flyingexpense. A few years ago I finally decided to get right down to the facts andcame up with the following information. This may not relate directly to yourexpenses but I believe it is worthwhile considering my approach.

First I calculated my fixed expense; what I pay if I never fly a minute eachyear. First the hanger expense; I figure this is less than I would pay for anapartment for a girlfriend on the side and I am far less likely to get shot bymy wife so I figure in the long run I am saving money considering a divorce andmedical expenses. Next I looked at insurance. When I considered that I pay carinsurance, medical expense, Social security expense, deductibles, lifeinsurance and countless extended warranty policies/insurance it became clear tome that what I pay for airplane related insurance is such a small percentagethat it is hardly worth considering. I help with my own annuals andall maintenance so that is worth something; perhaps a few thousand dollars savedeach year. As I see it all of my fixed expense ends up being an actual savingsof perhaps $5,000 per year (I don’t work cheap you know).

When it comes to variable expense I first look at fuel. AV gas is around $5.50per gallon while auto gas is only $3.00. With this in mind, I feel comfortablein saying that it is only $2.50 more to buy AV gas. Therefore, It seems to methat if I burn 12 gallons per hour then fuel to fly only cost me $30 per hourand if I can split that expense with a passenger that goes down to only $15dollars per hour out of pocket. Oil is another factor to consider. I figurethat I lose a couple of quarts of oil over the side every hour due to leeks andI burn about one quart per hour. With this in mind it is easy enough to figurethat if I burn one quart and don’t burn the two quarts that leek out then Iactually come out ahead one quart per hour so oil shouldn’t be considered anexpense.

Now comes the good part. If I have a savings of $5,000 per year on fixedexpense and it only cost $15.00 per hour to fly, I can fly 200 hours per yearfor $3000 of my savings and realize an actual savings, in pocket, of $2,000 peryear which I can put into savings.

If I didn’t have an airplane I would not be able to save the $5,000 each yearso I would have no savings. As it is, I get to fly and I am able to put backthe $2,000 for tougher times which we will surly need a time goes by.Therefore, I cannot afford to not have an airplane. Having an airplane and notflying it is not good for the engine so the 200 hours flying time is somethingI must do to protect our $2,000 annual savings.

This is how I explain the cost of flying to my nice Lady friend.

Works for me......:lol:

MTV

Flying: VERY EXPENSIVE
Not having to be irradiated or molested buy the goon squad/TSA: PRICELESS

Flying: VERY EXPENSIVE
Not having to be irradiated or molested buy the goon squad/TSA: PRICELESS

Dang, you Texans keep proving they don't teach grammar or spelling down there. Ha. But, then again, you may have been irradiated one too many times by them.

Funny Thing, My wife decided to do a spread sheet breaking down the cost of our “hobbies”. Her horses and my flying, it didn’t take very long for the column with the horse in it to overtake the column with the plane in it and shortly after that the spread sheet disappeared.:smile:

Larry

Funny Thing, My wife decided to do a spread sheet breaking down the cost of our “hobbies”. Her horses and my flying, it didn’t take very long for the column with the horse in it to overtake the column with the plane in it and shortly after that the spread sheet disappeared.:smile:

Larry

Boy tell me about it! I budget $200.00 a month per horse and that is just for direct expenses. Four horses equates to $800.00/month. Forget the truck, trailer, farm(s), time, training , 15-20K for surgery, etc. I have 4 of them and there is one I would happily eat and cut my losses. They are like time bombs sitting in the pasture staring at you. On the other hand what would a personal trainer that keeps you young by making you get up every (and I mean EVERY) morning and do vigorous exercise for an hour twice a day cost? Isn't it fun to have to rush home from anyplace you've gone to to work in the barn at night in the winter: :lol:
Flying isn't even on the radar for costs compared to the horses. I do love my wife and I like the horses but??! Wish it was only the Arab and the Icelandic.

Boy tell me about it! I budget $200.00 a month per horse and that is just for direct expenses. Four horses equates to $800.00/month. Forget the truck, trailer, farm(s), time, training , 15-20K for surgery, etc. I have 4 of them and there is one I would happily eat and cut my losses. They are like time bombs sitting in the pasture staring at you. On the other hand what would a personal trainer that keeps you young by making you get up every (and I mean EVERY) morning and do vigorous exercise for an hour twice a day cost? Isn't it fun to have to rush home from anyplace you've gone to to work in the barn at night in the winter: :lol:
Flying isn't even on the radar for costs compared to the horses. I do love my wife and I like the horses but??! Wish it was only the Arab and the Icelandic.

Try 8 or ATE horses... Yes you read that correct, as in the 8 horses ate my flying funds...... that is why you only see my bird of prey at Johnson Creek and if there was a way I'm sure there would be horses in the plane .....

​ Disclaimer: There is truly only 5 + 1 but 8 sounded better...

Try 8 or ATE horses... Yes you read that correct, as in the 8 horses ate my flying funds...... that is why you only see my bird of prey at Johnson Creek and if there was a way I'm sure there would be horses in the plane .....

​ Disclaimer: There is truly only 5 + 1 but 8 sounded better...
Actually it's a logarithm thing. Each horse you add doubles the work. One horse= 1 horse work/risk. Two horses = 4 horses work/risk. 5 horses = 10 horses work/risk. You were actually underestimating by two horses.

Actually it's a logarithm thing. Each horse you add doubles the work. One horse= 1 horse work/risk. Two horses = 4 horses work/risk. 5 horses = 10 horses work/risk. You were actually underestimating by two horses.

That makes me feel soooooooooo much better......... thanks I think....:roll:

It's kind of a strange feeling but were "brothers in arms" so to speak. Those who have neve been "blessed" with a wife with the desease won't understand. I don't know how old you are but if you've got daughters approaching marrying age it's never to soon to start introducing them to young eligable horse shoer-er's or equine vets.

In my experience, horses make very good coyote baits.....fortunately, my spouse is a dog lover....still a little spendy at times, but NOTHING like owning a horse, and yes, I've been there too.

MTV

Oh boy .... Mike, not only am I in Horsey heaven ....wait for it...... We raise Mini Ausi dogs..... Soooooo it goes full circle one way or another she loves to fly too so in a great way I am truly blessed to have found the love of my life (actually she stocked me ... Story for another thread) and she likes to play just as hard as I do. Now for the age thing I am a ripe old age of 35 ish and 2 boys of 10 and 12 and they are horse flys as well so the fun never stops.

Whenever I have to pay a significant aviation related expense, I wait until a few more bills come and then pay it first. That way it kinda disappears in the ledger. My wife usually doesn't notice and I forget sooner. Justification, uhmmm.......

Last edited:
I figure my J-3 75hp runs me about $437.00/hr. to operate, and the airport manager at my field, KSET, St. Charles County Airport, MO, who charges $230.00/month for an overpriced, poorly built,engineneered, and constantly flood prone, poor lighting, no water, no trash service, unsecured hangar just says..."Just think how much fun your having flying". Go figure.

Blue Skies

I figure my J-3 75hp runs me about $437.00/hr. to operate, and the airport manager at my field, KSET, St. Charles County Airport, MO, who charges $230.00/month for an overpriced, poorly built,engineneered, and constantly flood prone, poor lighting, no water, no trash service, unsecured hangar just says..."Just think how much fun your having flying". Go figure.

Blue Skies

Fly more and it gets cheaper ;-)

Glenn

I don't keep track of the costs. I work so I can play! What else would I do with all my money. (What money??? I fly for a living ;-))

I had a friend ask if I could do a tailwheel endorsement in my plane. He told me he would pay gas. This always makes me laugh. Gas is the cheap part. I roughly came up with an hourly rate based on this year unrecorded but notable expenses. He was appalled that I felt my airplane was "worth" so much an hour. Then comes the.... google says it only cost $120 an hour to fly a 185. (Google 185 operating cost!) I laughed. Anyone have a 185 for rent? I'll pay ya $120 an hour wet...

Oh, and by the way....since my bird is down for recover and the hangar is empty, If a fellow cubber came in town and needed a hangar, I'm not allowed to let him use it.
Go figure!

Our city leaders became concerned we were storing more than ‘just’ airplanes in the hangars we own on their leased property. When i received a questionnaire regarding the contents my reply was “a airplane and anything else i feel like storing, its MY hangar”. They oked it.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back