• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

GPS options

larrym

My 16 yr old son wants a GPS to geo-cache, fly, and drive off of. He bought a Garmin etrex 10, liking the price and thought that he could down load maps. Unfortunately, he can not download maps. The one that will, is double the price. That said, I wonder if there are other options that he can cross utilize such as a tablet of some sort and an gps attachment like Elf, or.... what ever.
I know its not Cub related directly, but you guys represent a good base of knowledge and I appreciate your experience and ideas.
Thanks,
larry

Android tablets can do what you ask. The Galaxy Tabs have built in GPS. I prefer the 7 inch versions just for portability. The android world is generally lower cost than the Apple options.

Tim

I'd second what Tim said. I'm about to install an Android 7-inch tablet directly on the instrument panel, probably with heavy-duty Velcro. I think I will be able to choose whether I use the built-in GPS or the Dual XGPS150 that I already have. Advantage of the Bluetooth GPS is that the tablet can be passed to the rear seat passenger without losing the GPS signal.

There are various navigation programs out there for both iOS and Android and you can download maps. But I've discovered (the hard way) that this is an area that requires no small measure of research in order to get the equipment and apps that will work for your specific application.

Be careful with the heavy duty velcrow. Had a couple of Ipads break at work when trying to take them off the belcrow "mount".

I'd second what Tim said. I'm about to install an Android 7-inch tablet directly on the instrument panel, probably with heavy-duty Velcro. I think I will be able to choose whether I use the built-in GPS or the Dual XGPS150 that I already have. Advantage of the Bluetooth GPS is that the tablet can be passed to the rear seat passenger without losing the GPS signal.

There are various navigation programs out there for both iOS and Android and you can download maps. But I've discovered (the hard way) that this is an area that requires no small measure of research in order to get the equipment and apps that will work for your specific application.

Have you any update on which apps work best with the android..? I have the 10.1 samsung tab.
Will the Dual xgps150 work with the maps already on the android?
I can't seem to get dual's web site to work today.

In reading some of the customer reviews on my pilot store dot com, some folks had a hard time getting it to sync up
with their droids....

Looking forward to any comments about it.
Kem

I'm not sure about dedicated aviation apps for the Android.

I'm using OziExplorer Android on my Nexus 7. It seems to work very well with maps/charts that I scanned myself.

I'm currently using the GPS receiver in the Nexus 7 and it seems to be very well.

A few minutes ago I managed to connect the XGPS150 to the Nexus 7 via Bluetooth without any problem.

I decided to keep my iPad Mini for now, although I won't be using it for navigation since OziExplorer won't work with the iPad OS and mine doesn't have the built-in GPS. The Mini has a slightly larger screen than the Nexus 7 so I like it better for photos and videos. Also, my iTunes music syncs with the iPad but, of course, not with the Android.

My my purposes (strictly VFR in a relatively small area and remote enough that I can't get XM Wx, radar or cell-phone data), OziExplorer made the most sense. I have VNC's (Sectionals) of my area, and also more-detailed 250k and 50k topo maps on the Nexus, so it's also useful outside the airplane for hunting or canoeing.

More details on the OziExplorer web-site. You'll need the PC version ($109) in order to scan and calibrate (geo-reference) your maps. A license for your Android device is $25. The program is still in Beta, with future versions free as long as you buy the licence. There is, of course, no annual fee since you'll be the one responsible to up-date your charts as necessary. Out here in the boonies there is little or no change from year to year.

If you have digital charts available you won't have to scan your own, though you may have to geo-reference them - a simple process.

And ..... I think that the "maps already on the Android" will be next to useless for aviation use.

I agree, for aviation use.

But it is fun looking at the clarity of say Google maps while flying along. (I know I could just look out the window)

As for a gps my old garmin pilot II, or something like that, is hard to beat to know which way to "point the nose".

I got this darn samsung tab and was hopeing I could get some kind of use out of it in the plane without too much $ invested.

Thanks for your help..!
Kem

I've been using maps from Avilution on my android (www dot avilution dot com) for about a year. They charge $5 a month and are regularly updating the software. I have found it to be one of the best choices for Android devices from the research I have done.

I've been using maps from Avilution on my android (www dot avilution dot com) for about a year. They charge $5 a month and are regularly updating the software. I have found it to be one of the best choices for Android devices from the research I have done.

It's just too bad they don't have Canadian charts on it yet. It maybe that they don't have a good source for them. If someone contacted them with a reliable source of charts they may push it sooner.

Tim

I have a cottage in Canada and find that most of my flying is knocking around the Canadian Bush. Since I am not too far over the border, and you mostly aren't since 75% of Canadians live withing 75 miles of the US, I struggled with the wac charts and the overlaps of the sectionals until I found the maps that I currently use. They are not the same scale as the sectionals but I really like the detail and use them almost exclusively for what I do now. They are 100,000:1 scale and that works for me. It says Ministry of Natural Resources Ontario on the top. Then under the zone name it says Provincial Series. I find them invaluable.

Ron

This is what happens when you get waay too much stuff on the panel.

Can you spot the 6 Nav Aids..?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 209
I ended up with THREE tablets .....long story. Anyway, I like the Nexus a lot and it's my favourite of the three. The iPad Mini is great for photos, videos and music, as well apps that are exclusive to iOS, but mine doesn't have a GPS. It's nice but over-priced. The Galaxy Tab seems okay, but I haven't used it much. It has an external SD card. The Galaxy and the Nexus are half the price of the iPad Mini with GPS.The Nexus seems rugged and the GPS receiver is superb. It's very slightly heavier than the iPad Mini and the screen is a little smaller.

It will be the Nexus that goes on the panel.

I'm using OziExplorer because we (still!!) can't get digital versions of our VNC's (sectionals). So most, if not all, of the usual nav programs are not much value to me in the far north.

X2 on Naviator... nice Ap, very flexible for getting background maps in. In some ways I like it better than Fore Flight that I have on the iOS iPad. Have the Naviator Ap on my Android phone that is always in my pocket for a backup.

Back