• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pulling and storing engine

aktango58

FRIEND
18AA
I am ready to remove the engine from the old frame, and need to store it while I move stuffs from the old to the new...

My question is what do you suggest for storage? I will need to build what ever I use, and I want to save space.

Should I tip it up and set it on the mount on a pallet? Build a pallet and remove the exhaust, carb and such and set it flat?

thanks for the help

Put it upside down on a tire and throw a few quarts of oil in thru the sump screen plug... enough to submerge the camshaft. If you're going to be less than 3 months I suspect it will be fine no matter where you put it.

Whoever signs your log book has final say but, here are some thoughts...

If you can crank it, pre-heat block, drain oil, add preservative oil, pull plugs, open up throttle and give it 15-20 PSI of oil pressure for about 30-60 sec. You are cold up there, George, so pre-heat the preservative oil to 150 F before adding. This takes forever, maybe start heating the oil the day before? Make sure to Gnd mags with some test leads (with plugs removed and cranking) to preclude arcing inside mag.

If you have access to a Corrosion-X spray gun, set it up for heavy misting. Spray everything and everywhere...

Inside cylinders, breather, manifold, exhaust, etc...But, don't get any of Corrosion-X into the mags if they are on, cover mags and alternator. It's messy work. Make sure you have warm oil before spraying. ACF-50 is my brand of corrosion oil, just because of old habits.

read this http://www.lycoming.com/support/publications/service-letters/pdfs/SL180B.pdf

I dip my plugs into Boeshield T-9, for really long term storage. ;-)

The engine was sprayed before I brought it here. It is on the fuselage and needs to come off and get put on a pallet for a while. my concern is that I want to leave on as much as possible on it, as it is going back on the new frame once I get it covered and stuff ready...

Is there a problem turning it on end and sitting it back down on the mount where the lugs attach?

Thanks

The easy way is to leave it on the crane? With all the accessories? Not good for space saving however.

I just talked to a Lycoming Field Service type. I told him what I am doing with my fresh engine and he liked it. Buy a Harbor Freight car engine stand, mount the engine on an engine mount, fill it with oil and rotate it a couple times a month. I'm also have 8 desiccant plugs and I bubble dry nitrogen though it about once a month.

I just talked to a Lycoming Field Service type. I told him what I am doing with my fresh engine and he liked it. Buy a Harbor Freight car engine stand, mount the engine on an engine mount, fill it with oil and rotate it a couple times a month. I'm also have 8 desiccant plugs and I bubble dry nitrogen though it about once a month.

Will that protect cylinder wall?

Hmmm,

I am glad for the comments, but I am more concerned with how to place the engine on the pallet. I do not have room to put a stand up like suggested, and want it so I can put forks under it and move it around.

So let me ask this way: Should I build a side cradle, remove carb and exhaust and sit flat, or would it be fine to rotate and sit down on the engine mount, prop flange strait up?

I am limited on what I can do, so these are the two I am considering. I like the tire and roll it over idea, but the baffles are still on it also.

Thanks

George

Remove the carb, cover the riser inlet, breather and exhaust to keep any crud or mice or ?? out, put it on a tire right side up, then in a dry (heated) space. The shop that overhauled mine agreed with that, pending hanging it on the airframe.

Headroom permitting ? Use a chain hoist secured to the top of the shop and lift up straight out of the way? Keep it high out of the way? A little dangerous having a engine swinging around above the shop, but if space is an issue.

George, send pictures of your project!

When I had my engine overhauled by B&J's a couple years ago I spent a couple hours making a very secure mount on a pallet so that I could deliver it complete with engine mount, baffles, all accessories, and exhaust. It was mounted horizontal. When I picked it up they had simply used 2 lengths of 1" square tubing with some tabs welded to them to mate up with the engine mount lugs in order to make 2 feet holding the engine vertical, prop flange up. It might have taken them 15 minutes to make. All accessories, baffles, and exhaust were in place. It was shrink wrapped real well to keep it clean on the drive home. It sounds like that might be what you're looking for.

Tim

Geez, and to think all I did was pick mine up from BJ in Palmer, placed it on an old tire in the back of the p/u and drove to FAI, threw it in the shop on the same tire for 6 months till I bolted it up to my new bird and flew.
8)

George, send pictures of your project!

Errrrr, posting pictures has not worked well recently... Will try to remember to take pictures... About to get up and build a palet for the engine... got another sled running this morning, (my accountant's so very important), and got the engine ready to hoist.

For a hoist? Well, look up Yanmar VIO 35-5:lol::lol:

Bit overkill for this, but it is in the shop next to the plane so easy to go!

I still have a spare 0-320 bolted to a pallet that has one vertical side added. The engine's bolted to a surplus motor mount that's bolted to the pallet. It's the best storage technique I've ever seen. Not my idea but it sure has been handy. Easy to move around, well protected, etc.

Back