• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lots of carb ice

Talked to my mechanic about swapping carbs - the question came up - where is the best place to get an overhauled carb to swap out? Any suggestions? It is an 10-3678-32

and another, aeroinstock,

nopic_thumb.gif

]Item #: 10-3678-32-O-V-E
CARB ASSY MA-4SPA
Retail Price: $1260.00

Your Price: $718.20

Last edited:
Ok - I just ordered a rebuilt carb and from Randy Rubbert a lower cowl, round air box and carb heat box. If it does noting, at least I have piece of mind. Anyway, I always liked the round air box better than the square one. I'll let everyone know if it works or not. Thanks for everyone's help on this.

I better spend it before it goes over the fiscal cliff. Isn't it the end of the word tomorrow- 11:12 Zulu? Hmmmm what else can I buy???

Better to get a factory rebuilt carb than have your old carb overhauled because a factory rebuilt carb almost always has new top and bottom body castings. They are basically new carburetors but they charge you for a core because they want to get the old worn out ones off the market. The old stuff quite often gets destroyed. Even a new off the shelf carb can benefit from some massaging of the internals and set up on a flow bench by a knowledgeable mechanic.

Jason

Last edited:
Better to get a factory rebuilt carb than have your old carb overhauled because a factory rebuilt carb almost always has new top and bottom body castings. They are basically new carburetors but they charge you for a core because they want to get the old worn out ones off the market. The old stuff quite often gets destroyed. Even a new off the shelf carb can benefit from some massaging of the internals and set up on a flow bench by a knowledgeable mechanic. I think FobJob had some good info on improving carburetor performance and efficiency and evening out EGT's

Jason

That's exactly what I did. Easier to change out rather than send mine back, wait and have it sent back. I want a completely new carburetor start

Interesting thread, thanks to all for sharing ideas.

For whatever it's worth, I have the square filter airbox and a -32 carb on the O-320-A2B in my 12. I have not had any significant carb ice issues. I lean aggressively, pull carb heat fairly frequently, and watch the carb temp gauge. Fortunately I haven't had to fight ice even when temp and humidity are "just right" for icing. Just my personal experience - - -

Interesting thread, thanks to all for sharing ideas.

For whatever it's worth, I have the square filter airbox and a -32 carb on the O-320-A2B in my 12. I have not had any significant carb ice issues. I lean aggressively, pull carb heat fairly frequently, and watch the carb temp gauge. Fortunately I haven't had to fight ice even when temp and humidity are "just right" for icing. Just my personal experience - - -

I doubt there is a difference between square and round air boxes. However there may be a difference between a good carb heat box and a bad one. Or a good carb and a bad carb. The fact that a new Rubbert carb heat box is attached to a really cool looking round air filter is good enough for me. I was alerted to the carb heat box on my plane at my last annual when my mechanic said "That's the cheapest looking carb heat box I have ever seen" I have been looking for an excuse to dump it.

What does perpelx me about this whole thing is that some people have a lot of problems with ice and others do not - even operating in the same environment.

Yep - BTW, my carb heat box is from Randy Rubbert. He rebuilt it and it looks like new - -

And maybe, ice isn't the root of the problem you're experiencing. Watching the video, I noticed that the black exhaust smoke is somewhat intermittent. Puffs, then lapses. Dunno what that might mean, but makes one wonder. Seems to me that the carb would certainly be a suspect in this mystery!

Yep - BTW, my carb heat box is from Randy Rubbert. He rebuilt it and it looks like new - -

And maybe, ice isn't the root of the problem you're experiencing. Watching the video, I noticed that the black exhaust smoke is somewhat intermittent. Puffs, then lapses. Dunno what that might mean, but makes one wonder. Seems to me that the carb would certainly be a suspect in this mystery!

Although I am far from an expert, I could not agree more. It seems like ice, but there seems to be more to it. Can't wait to report back!

before you box up the carb to return as a core I would open it up and take a look inside. Work with a knowledgeable mechanic and check the float level, check the air passageways for obstructions. Also look at the condition of the fuel nozzle and look for oval wear/erosion on holes in the jets. Check the throttle shaft for play. Check the accelerator pump operation and make sure the pump is set on the proper hole in the cam ( 3 options ) Check the Venturi for looseness. Check the accelerator pump nozzle for looseness. And look for signs of staining where fuel might have been leaking along with signs of dirt/sludge/and water in the bowl and other fuel passages. Also now is a good time to clean the screen in your gaskolator and maybe replace the fuel hose to the carb.

Jason

before you box up the carb to return as a core I would open it up and take a look inside. Work with a knowledgeable mechanic and check the float level, check the air passageways for obstructions. Also look at the condition of the fuel nozzle and look for oval wear/erosion on holes in the jets. Check the throttle shaft for play. Check the accelerator pump operation and make sure the pump is set on the proper hole in the cam ( 3 options ) Check the Venturi for looseness. Check the accelerator pump nozzle for looseness. And look for signs of staining where fuel might have been leaking along with signs of dirt/sludge/and water in the bowl and other fuel passages. Also now is a good time to clean the screen in your gaskolator and maybe replace the fuel hose to the carb.

Jason

I will do just that - kind of like a carburator autopsy. I'll let you know what I find.

As to differences in carb ice accumulation, I've seen this first hand. I flew a Cub in Kodiak (home of carburetor icing, year round) for a number of years and a thousand hours or so. It made some carb ice, but nothing scary.

Came time for an engine overhaul. I don't know what all was done, and wasn't smart enough at the time to find out if carb was changed, air box was rebuilt or???? BUT, the bottom line was, that airplane made carb ice like no machine I've ever been around, and I owned a Cessna 180 for a number of years.....

Why did that same airplane suddenly make carb ice more frequently than before? No idea. Obviously something changed, whether it was air box, carburetor or something else. Point is, different airplanes are going to make carb ice at different rates.

I try to teach students to always be on guard for carb ice, because it can be a sneaky bastard, creeping up on you slowly and quietly, right up till the loud noise up front ceases....

MTV

I try to teach students to always be on guard for carb ice, because it can be a sneaky bastard, creeping up on you slowly and quietly, right up till the loud noise up front ceases....

MTV

I decided to do a little night flying last night. I'd pulled off my 31's and switched over to 8's in anticipation of installing my wheel-penetration skis. There was some moonlight after changing the tires and I thought, why not go for a night flight and get three landings in. With the little tires I land on the runway and could use the runway lights. With the 31's I always land on a parallel section I keep mowed.

This was my first night flight in this Cub. I was making a much bigger pattern than my usual keep-it-in-close pattern landing in the grass. I'd turned final and was headed down towards the inviting runway lights and decided to pull carb heat. This plane doesn't usually make much ice and often I don't use carb heat but decided to now. But instead of pulling carb heat in the dark I pulled the mixture control. That made things quiet. Power was quickly restored when I pushed it back in. My two knobs are side by side and in the dark I didn't notice my error until things went quiet.

I decided to do a little night flying last night. I'd pulled off my 31's and switched over to 8's in anticipation of installing my wheel-penetration skis. There was some moonlight after changing the tires and I thought, why not go for a night flight and get three landings in. With the little tires I land on the runway and could use the runway lights. With the 31's I always land on a parallel section I keep mowed.

This was my first night flight in this Cub. I was making a much bigger pattern than my usual keep-it-in-close pattern landing in the grass. I'd turned final and was headed down towards the inviting runway lights and decided to pull carb heat. This plane doesn't usually make much ice and often I don't use carb heat but decided to now. But instead of pulling carb heat in the dark I pulled the mixture control. That made things quiet. Power was quickly restored when I pushed it back in. My two knobs are side by side and in the dark I didn't notice my error until things went quiet.

My carb heat and my mixture were right next to each other when I bought my plane, same size knob -one was red the other black. Changed it out first thing to a big bumpy red knob for the mixture

With my Sutton exhaust, if I'm parked outside in windy rain, water can collect in the carb heat shroud and I think probably in the aeroduct. Then it can freeze, and then unfreeze and drown out the engine when carb heat is pulled after the engine has been running for a bit. Discovered that when I pulled carb heat shortly after takeoff from my hayfield over rugged and forested terrain, and the engine quit cold. Didn't sputter, just plain quit. It restarted promptly when I pushed the carb heat back in. But it took awhile for my heart to re-start, cuz I didn't know for sure what was going on! Now that I know that, I pull carb heat good and long with lots of power during runup, then V E R Y gradually the first time in flight, in case water in the heat duct was frozen and is melting slowly. And oh yeah, carb heat and mixture are on opposite sides of the panel!

I (almost) never pull carb heat or change fuel tanks over inhospitable ground. Over cautious, chicken? I also fill 'er up every time I come down to prevent excessive condensation. I certainly do carb heat once in awhile but never had any ice indication, guess I got a good carb system. :)

I (almost) never pull carb heat or change fuel tanks over inhospitable ground. Over cautious, chicken? I also fill 'er up every time I come down to prevent excessive condensation. I certainly do carb heat once in awhile but never had any ice indication, guess I got a good carb system. :)
But you see, jolly St Nimp, down here in this corner of Washington, it's MOSTLY inhospitable ground. No choice. (Waiting for Torch now - 8):lol:) But actually it's true in the vicinity of my farm, and it was prime atmospheric conditions for carb icing.

To be a little more serious though, deferring carb heat ain't always such a hot (haha, get it?) idea either. I came close to losing my engine to carb ice over the Juneau Ice Field one time - Beautiful day, CAVU - who would suspect carb ice? Just keep adjusting mixture due to the altitude, right? Wrong. After finally pulling carb heat, had to nurse the carb heat and mixture back and forth together for a little bit to keep her going. REALLY got my attention, and ever since then I pull carb heat frequently even if I don't really suspect ice, just to be on the cautious side.

Last edited:
Mebbe I should have reiterated that I fly floats, & I meant I always look for a wet spot before I "change" anything. You may well know it's somewhat "bumpy" up here too! :) Yep, the Torch will be all over that :)

Dan,

The exact reason that I will put the carb heat and mixture apart from each other...

Geezer: yes, I get the ice up here all the time... and I know of one plane that almost crashed because the freeze thaw weather had allowed water to get into the scat hose between the heat muff and the air box. He pulled heat and sent warm moist air into the carb and puff, no power.

a good preflight check for all there.

Logan: as long as it is not a wet spot on the seat:wink:

but as much ice as we get here you don't have that option of waiting, you pull the heat on every little while.

Back