• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA 12 Want to add Flaps

Seattle ,Greenlake
I have a 1947 Totally stock PA 12 that I would like to install flaps on,What company sells the parts or kit and what is the best STC? I bought this plane out of Van Nuys California a couple years ago,they had removed the fabric from the wings,so I flew down rented a U Haul loaded it in was back in Seattle 23 hours later,now it has set in my garage waiting,has not even made it to my Hangar at KPAE.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

univair or dakota cub for the parts... I don't 'think' there is a kit, but i could be wrong....

you WILL want to do a MUCH better job of how the pulley mounts get welded to the fuselage, especially the one in the upper longeron?? as it pulls a chunk of the tube off with it when it rips off(and you are instantly dumping your flaps at what might be an inopportune time!!)

I have pictures bellow in my picasa of the beefier mounts...

you will also want to make my pulley positioning tool, will save you a BUNCH of time... in this thread http://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...res-and-other-neat-stuff&highlight=cool+tools post #37
video

Thanks Mike,which album?And about where in your photos?IN PA 12 project for Russell?
Oh and your pully positioning tool is great!

I added flaps last year and used Dakota Cub parts, they have a complete package that includes everything you'll need except maybe the pulleys. I was very impressed with the superb quality and fit of each and every one of their parts. Also friendly and very helpful on the phone.

The only STC I know about for flaps is Ron Sullivan's 907-345-4630, Rsullivan@alaska.com, I think he calls himself day/night or something like that. Some of the pa-12 flap threads here talk about problems with a couple of measurements in his drawings but as I recall he had a one page addendum to the stc that warned you about that and frankly it all was pretty straight forward. I did find it helpful to mount the wing on the fuselage before recovering the wing just to make sure the flap and aileron cables don't fowl. The STC also calls for moving the aileron cable turnbuckles inside the wing to little different position, I moved them inside the fuselage and it worked great. The carry through one centers overhead and the other ones are on the vertical cables right by the back windows. they work great, just leave yourself some extra cable as you build them up and fit will come out fine.

Last edited:
check your private messages for a question about the photos you'd like. Regarding the landing light, I don't think you need an STC for installation, it was part of the original TC, and is shown in Piper Drawing 12534, dated 7/28/1948 but those here with lots more experience than I may be able to better answer that

TCDS A780 item 602 allows for installation of flaps per Mainair or Marden drawings. In the years this website has been active it's surprising nobody has come up with those drawings.

So if you don't need a STC with the Marden drawings where can you get Marden drawings?

Marden was an airport operator in Waterville Maine a long time ago. The rules were different back then. I would go to the FAA office which holds the TC for the PA-18 and ask. If they have the drawings or can tell you where to find them you would then need to ask permission of Piper to look at them. And then go to the FAA office to see them. Your local FSDO should be able to help you go up the chain of command on this.

OR, perhaps someone here who is near Waterville Maine could make local inquiries as to what happened to the old Marden stuff? Is there an old timer in Maine here who has that answer?

So if you don't need a STC with the Marden drawings where can you get Marden drawings?
Review this thread for a couple of clues that may help you. I'm surprised nobody here has better info but it's been discussed before and nobody's stepped up with drawings. I used the Day & Night STC when I did it because the guy I bought the project from already had purchased it. That may be the path of least resistance for you. It's only money. You'll start saying that a lot once you start modifying a -12.

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?43873-PA-12-Want-to-add-Flaps&p=555729#post555729

Thanks this link just opens a new page with this same forum
Review this thread for a couple of clues that may help you. I'm surprised nobody here has better info but it's been discussed before and nobody's stepped up with drawings. I used the Day & Night STC when I did it because the guy I bought the project from already had purchased it. That may be the path of least resistance for you. It's only money. You'll start saying that a lot once you start modifying a -12.

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?43873-PA-12-Want-to-add-Flaps&p=555729#post555729

I think these photos are of a Marden installation. They are in my gallery along with others.

IMG_3020.JPG IMG_3017.JPG

Wayne

Attachments

• IMG_3020.JPG
    IMG_3020.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_3017.JPG
    IMG_3017.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 434
I have 2 pages of the Marden drawings, one fuselage and one wing. As I recall, I believe PA-14 parts were used, the flap handle mounted underneath the seat as shown in the previous photo's and the flap cable went aft underneath the seat in the center of the fuselage to behind the current baggage, not 18 style up the side. I think I saw a 12 with this setup once and would not recommend it. And 18 parts are availible.

I tried to post a link to my gallery, but it only seems to link to one huge pic.

Here are the ones in the gallery in addition to the ones previously posted.

IMG_3026.JPG IMG_3020.JPG IMG_3021.JPG

Most of the attachments are pics of the flap handle attachment to the seat frame. The owner of the plane used the wire to hang the frame to paint it. The two pulley mounts are typically reinforced to prevent ripping them off the tubing.

Like Cruiser said, the flap cable parallels the control stick connecting link , goes under the rear seat to the mechanism located near the elevator bellcrank located behind the rear seat. (shown in my earlier post) The turning pulley here (third thumbnail in the attachments) is located on the diagonal member that comes from the cabin top to the longeron. Sullivan's stc moves this one back to the longeron. The cable then follows the diagonal to a double pulley mounted near the top of the diagonal and out to the flaps.

Confused yet?

Cheers
Wayne

Attachments

• IMG_3026.JPG
    IMG_3026.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_30231.JPG
    IMG_30231.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_30221.JPG
    IMG_30221.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_3016.JPG
    IMG_3016.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_3015.JPG
    IMG_3015.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_3020.JPG
    IMG_3020.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_3021.JPG
    IMG_3021.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 285
Any one have a list of what all is involved in adding flaps to a 12? My wings were already uncovered when I bought the airplane,fabric on fuselag looks good,I know some has to be removed to add pullies,also would like to do 18 tailfeathers.

Any one have a list of what all is involved in adding flaps to a 12? My wings were already uncovered...

Fuselage:
  • add flap handle and mounts
  • add pulley mounts (if you make them like I show you can do the welding through small holes in the fabric (TIG)
  • add cable

Wings:
  • you will convert each long rib where flap goes to a short rib like where ailerons are, by riveting/or screwing in a small angle piece & cutting of unused rib
  • you will add 2 flap hangers per wing
  • you will add a bell crank and spring and such ...
  • install trailing edge/false spar.. screw and rivet as needed
  • install cable
  • fit and adjust flap...
  • done

So why are some of the 12 flap conversions not all the way to the fuselage?Does Ron Sullivans STC make the flaps all the way to the fuselage?

So why are some of the 12 flap conversions not all the way to the fuselage?Does Ron Sullivans STC make the flaps all the way to the fuselage?

I don't remember... but i "think" his are NOT to fuselage..

also be careful when coming into fuselage, both sides are NOT the same and the fuselage tapers(unlike an -18), so end of flap must match that taper for when flap is in down position, you must hang & rig wings on fuselage to determine the right lengths with flaps in down position...

The Sullivan STC does not include extending the flaps to the fuselage. However Charly Center's leading edge cuff STC does include the extension. Yes! Fit them in place, in the full down position, after rigging the wings!

The Sullivan STC does not include extending the flaps to the fuselage. However Charly Center's leading edge cuff STC does include the extension. Yes! Fit them in place, in the full down position, after rigging the wings!
Where do you find information on Charlie Centers STC?And do you have to install the leading edge cuff at the same time as flaps?

Back