Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg's Supercub Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Greg! I'd say you've got that "impossible" (NOT!) paint figured out!
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    A big thank you to Steve Pearce and his great family and crew and all those who kept me going at the Graham Seminar. I feel truly blessed with such great friends. We got some things done, lots still to do. I'm highly motivated to see this through and finally climb this Cub into the sky. There have been many road blocks for my project and me, but I see that day out there! God willing I will be there soon. I appreciate the friendships I have gained on this journey. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an update. I finally was able to hang the vo360. I have a different motor mount so I have been adjusting on the rails an cowl pieces. I have a friend at the airport that is encouraging me to get the plane out to the airport so he can help me. I am going to try and get it out there in a few weeks. I want to do as much as I can here because the airport is 20 miles away an my work time would be reduced. It would be great to have assistance and experience though. So I'm leaning toward the transition. That's the update. Have a good week. Greg
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JPEG image-0F56A53AB5E6-1.jpeg 
Views:	100 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	19642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JPEG image-52D4226D8F18-1.jpeg 
Views:	98 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	19643

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks very nice Greg!!!

I have the same problem with building at my house and being far from the airport...think I'll cut some trees and fly it there when I'm done!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

There are no new ways to crash an airplane no matter how hard you may try!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!!

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	DSCN2054.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	20037
    She found her wings today. I have a long way to go yet. Lots of out of my element work on the engine and panel plumbing. I will try and get help on this and come up to speed on it myself as well. A Big Thank You to Mitch Williams and his great flight school, Chickasha Wings, who found a spot in there facility hangar for the final push on my build. I also want to thank my Oklahoma CowPatty Bush Pilots for getting my project to the airport. P51wingman, Flymore, Littlewing, Stampeflyer and Sean S. That's the update on a Great Day for me!!
    Likes Delta Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks GREAT Greg I like the contrasting VG's.

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome Greg. Great paint scheme. Starting to look like an airplane, that always ramps up my motivation.

Keep the faith, brother.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg, great job, it sure has come along way since Feb!
    Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	IMG_7551.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	356.2 KB 
ID:	20294Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7587.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	20295Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7610.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	20296Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7632.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	20297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7633.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	20298Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7667.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	20299Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7668.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	20300
    Thank You, I have been working on the things I can do while waiting on some engine mount bushings (used ones on there now) and oil filter adapter. I have those now so I'm hoping to start trying to start putting engine components on in the next couple of weeks. Mitch the owner of Chickasha Wings Flight School and IA graciously told me he would allow his two great mechanics to advise me free of charge as long as I do the wrench turning. How nice is that! Anyway help me refer his school.

The other things I am working on is running the cables and spending many days trying to get the tanks in. I have them fitting good and lying in there well. I just have to mount them in now and get that pesky pass through brace bolted. It's a grind but I'm going to the airport everyday. Mitch told me he had a man that was building a plane and he said one day he ran out of things to do to it. I want to get there. I'll get off here. I appreciate you guys out there. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    You have come a LONG way. Do like the old mule does… Just keep-a-pullin".

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anybody have picture of the wing tank fuel gauge with out the wing root panel on it? My gauge is the same size as flymore has in the Cubcrafters. Mine does have a reducer on one end. Can the tube be at a greater angle as long as I put my labels in the right place? Is it okay for the rubber hose snake over on the bottom fitting? Thank You and have a good day. Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	IMG_8344.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	22135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8345.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	22136Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8352.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	22137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8404.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	22138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8410.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	22139Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8412.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	22140Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8417.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	22141Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8421.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	22142Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8423.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	22143

Just an update, I've been trying to work toward the finish, some days it goes better than others. I have a few pictures of some of the project I'll post. I want to thank Mike Black at Jet Black Machine Shop in Norman Oklahoma. He did a wonderful job on my panel. He is an Engineer and was previously an Aero Space Engineer who now runs his own shop. He heard about my build from David Childs an literally transformed my drawings and shady spect into a panel. Then astonished by charging me A Flymore Cub ride. Thank You Mike and David and all my friends who have been there in so many ways. Jet Black! it would not hurt my feelings if a few of you out there used his service. He's and Aviator and the son of one and a new friend to one! Have a good weekend, Greg
    Likes Delta Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Great progress Greg! I enjoyed meeting Mike and looks like he does super work. Happy to give him a ride if you need anything else. Can't wait to see what goes in which, I know you laid it out, but don't remember you telling me what goes where. What a great birthday present if you test fly then! Getting closer every day and I'm excited for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go, Greg! Are those landing and nav' lights made by Kuntzleman? It looks like you're planning for a Garmin 796. I tried to get one to fit but couldn't, so I'm planning on a Garmin 550 or 560 mounted out of the panel.

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Greg. Keep the faith Bro, one step at a time!!!

Never give up.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasperfield View Post
    Way to go, Greg! Are those landing and nav' lights made by Kuntzleman? It looks like you're planning for a Garmin 796. I tried to get one to fit but couldn't, so I'm planning on a Garmin 550 or 560 mounted out of the panel.
    Look at the IFly 740 before you buy the Garmin 500. I have an IFly 720 and it is a great GPS. Easy to use and the subscriptions are a lot less than Garmin. I had a 500 and hated it for many reasons. Don
    Vans RV7 finished 2008
    Backcountry Super Cub finished 2011
    A&P Aircraft rebuilding, Building assistance
    1956 Supercub complete rebuild

Post Thanks / Like
    Billy; thank you, I appreciate the extra battery and the loaner cruise prop to break my engine in. It looks good on the test fit.
    Kieth an Don, thank you, I'm going to try and use the old 296 dash mounted gps that was in the late 91z if it will still work and try to supplement my mini IPad until I get some fuel paid for on the test flying. Then with some extra overtime money hopefully I'll try the ones you are suggesting Don.
    Bill; thank you! This project would not have happened with out you first believing I could do it. Appreciate You and all!
    Last edited by Greg Campbell; 10-09-2015 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, I have my panel painted and all my used instruments. I am looking for only the wiring harness and the encoder for my yellow tagged KT76A transponder and tray. I looked on eBay and only see the pricy whole package out there. I will probly get one of those Sandia Stx 165 after I catch up from the build. For now I looking for the encoder and wire for sale just to get flyin. If you guys know any good places to find those I would appreciate the advice. Ill post pics of the panel with instruments in it soon. Thank you Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg I think I kept them from my build I'll look this evening.

Kirby
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Kirby, if you find them I'll send you a check on the 20th.

Post Thanks / Like

Just an update. It's been a while. I have been plugging away at it. I have been so blessed with help from the A / P's at Chickasha Wings. Mitch Barry, Jonah and Brad. Also help from Flight instructor John and Also my friend and New to him J3 owner Jim. I would like to give a Big thank you to my new friend Barry who even took a day off without pay to help me time my Mags and install the prop along with a few other little project. He surprised me by telling me we can get more done on his Christmas days off.
    How nice is that.

I have been working on The Engine, flaps, panel, wiring and painting small parts. We are inching up on the first run on the engine. That is going to be cool. Here are a few pics. Merry Christmas my friends. Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0281.jpg 
Views:	967 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	23229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0282.jpg 
Views:	953 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	23230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0284.jpg 
Views:	942 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	23231   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0308.jpg 
Views:	941 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	23232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0310.jpg 
Views:	939 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	23233  

Name:	IMG_2591.jpg 
Views:	940 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	23234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0278.jpg 
Views:	936 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	23235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0263.jpg 
Views:	935 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	23236  

Post Thanks / Like
    Man-O-Man… Son, I'd about forgot about you. It's sure looking good and what a bunch of progress you've made. Golly, what a great airplane and owner! For such a simple airplane, these things are nothing more than concentrated areas of detail. Keep-a-goin' son!

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	pic1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	24757Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	24758Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic3.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	24759Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic4.jpeg 
Views:	81 
Size:	270.3 KB 
ID:	24760

Folks, just a few pictures for those that are interested. Tried to post today's oil pressure and oil priming video but I couldn't get it on here. I have good oil pressure though. Happy for that. I'm replacing the starter relay. The new one I have wants to stick. Ordered a high quality replacement today. Steve if you can get the video on Facebook to post on here I would appreciate it for those who don't carry Facebook. Anyway getting real close to the first run! Have a good weekend. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting time to fly!
    Last edited by OLDCROWE; 03-18-2016 at 07:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg,
    Looking great Buddy! What do you lack? Sure can't be much. Keep up the excellent work. Looking forward to the first flight vid . Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    My list is getting shorter. I need to safety wire 6 more turnbuckles, replace the starter relay, install the 3 pulley covers on the floor, final install on the windows and interior trim, final install on the front seat, bleed the brakes (tank is bolted to the seat post), weigh it and run it. I have started on the paperwork for the FAA but I'm a long way from my comfort zone on the paper work. Hoping for a little help from my friends there. Hey I maybe test taxiing before the end of the month if all goes better than I hope. Would sure love to get it all done and make Ok18 on Memorial week end. I'm turning 50 that Friday. Would definitely be a celebratory flyin for me! I'll get off here. Thank you guys and gals. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not all rosey, I post the good things. To be real i have a leaking fuel tank weld. I have had a few kicks in the gut. It is waring on me. It is rough to want to fly and just keep getting kicked in the gut. I try to listen to Bill, he says its a project that's how it goes. Tonight I can't quit thinking about all the knock downs. Tomorrow is another day, I plan to take my wife to lunch and get off the mat. I won't quit but I'm tired of waiting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hang in there Greg! Keep working on your punch list and one by one they'll be finished before you know it. The end goal is in sight!
    windy

Post Thanks / Like
    Very few people are willing to do what you are doing. Even fewer understand why you'd even try. Most people don't have the grit. You obviously do. I'm confident you'll be flying soon.

Thanks,

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg, what Jim A and Windy wrote goes for me, too.

You are inspiring others with your posts and with your willingness to "air your dirty laundry". Whether people are building an aircraft, or not, each of us face struggles in our everyday lives and you are showing us not only the attractive side of making your dream come true but also the less attractive side. Your ability to face these struggles, your ability to verbalize and share your frustrations with us, serves to inspire us to get back on that horse that bucked you off and ride again.

True Grit. You've got it. These temporary setbacks will only make the final result that much sweeter.

Randy
    Last edited by WindOnHisNose; 03-29-2016 at 07:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg you're climbing a sand pile, three steps up & slide back one, you've got this. Steady progress is how you eat an elephant... Pierce has a collection of fuel tanks that can't wait to go fly just go fulfill ones dreams!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that feeling.... more than a few times!! Now you know the truth to the saying "90% done with 90% to go"! Somedays it seems like it'll never end, but then after a good night's sleep and a little break, it will come together nicely and the smile will come back. Hang in there!!! You're doing an awesome job, and if it was all easy, everyone would do it! Be proud of what you've accomplished!
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg, keep plugging along! You are almost there.
    Turning money into noise since 1996

Our Build here

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Greg,
    Don't be discouraged for long. All things belong to the Lord... You and the airplane included. He sees the whole picture, we do not. Everything about the airplane, its construction, difficulties, and delays are known by Him, and they are in accordance with His plan and going exactly according to His schedule.

There are reasons for these delays that we don't understand, but He knows why they are necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg,
    You have come a long way since I met you at Pierce's two years ago. It looks good! Come and see me.
    David Rice

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You. I got the tank out today. I'll pressure test it to find the leak. There is a a welder on the field who maybe willing to weld it. I'm back working my punch list. Sorry for the weak moment. I appreciate all you friends. Have a good weekend Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Campbell View Post
    Thant you. I got the tank out today. I'll pressure test it to find the leak. There is a a welder on the field who maybe willing to weld it. I'm back working my punch list. Sorry for the weak moment. I appreciate all you friends. Have a good weekend Greg
    We all need a few cloudy days to truly appreciate the sunny ones. Looks great

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Hang in there Greg, I am sure it will be worth it!
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    IT.....IS......ALIVE!!!!!

Success! After 3.5 years Greg is no longer making engine noises with his mouth, it's the real deal folks. Way to go Greg, one more step closer to your birthday at OK18. Your perseverance is to be admired. CONGRATS!!!