• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Greg's Supercub Build

photo (1).JPGphoto (4).JPGphoto (5).JPG
Just a short update. I've been working on the wings, pulleys, brackets, bell cranks, and tip bows. I have also been painting small parts and fitting the sky light along with other odds and ends. Plenty left to do.

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 199
  • photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 323
  • photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 213
View attachment 14829 Just a short update. I've been working on the wings, pulleys, brackets, bell cranks, and tip bows. I have also been painting small parts and fitting the sky light along with other odds and ends. Plenty left to do.

Before you cover the wings, be sure to hang the ailerons and control cables pulled tight. I found, on mine, that this pulley was not aligned properly. No matter which way I repositioned the attachment bracket, there was a cable misalignment. The cable would always be at an sidewards angle to the groove which would promote cable/pulley wear over time. I could get the cable properly lined up with the pulley in one direction, but not both. I had to change the dimension of one leg on the "U" clip which is bolted to the lift strut fitting. These fittings should be lefts and rights. Piper's drawing is in error, as it shows both legs to be equal length.

I haven't heard any complaining about the cable and pulley wearing, here on SC.org. Perhaps the Piper phenolic pulleys wear their groove, so do not cause trouble? I have concerns with the aluminum pulleys wearing on the cables. Since this is hidden inside the wing, any wear could remain out of sight. I would hate for a cable to fray without being aware.

Thank You, I am hoping to put the wings and ailerons on in the next couple of weeks to test everything. I will have help rigging it. Steve Pierce said the same thing you are saying, I need to rig it all up and make sure everything is right before covering. I have been frustrated a few times. Bill Rusk, on one of the frustrating occasions, said its a project, a project will not always be perfect. I appreciate your input skywagon8a. Greg

Note that the aileron cable pulley coming out of the top of the wing is at an angle. So when covering the wing the grommet for the pulley cover also goes on at a angle. I put my grommet on straight front to back and looks like hell if you lookat it.

Note that the aileron cable pulley coming out of the top of the wing is at an angle. So when covering the wing the grommet for the pulley cover also goes on at a angle. I put my grommet on straight front to back and looks like hell if you lookat it.

Also note that the top aileron horn end is bent to align toward that pulley. I think that it is 3 degrees. It's on the Piper drawing.

Also note that the top aileron horn end is bent to align toward that pulley. I think that it is 3 degrees. It's on the Piper drawing.
And also note to take a rubber hammer and bend the false spar down where the turnbuckle rides on the top before covering.I did that and was real pleased with the results.

Last edited:
Look great Greg your making good progress keep it up and you'll be flying before you know it.

DW

Thank You Skywagon8a and Tempdoug, great info. I will use these great tips. Thank You DW, I am going down to Graham, next week to get guidance from Steve and the guys. Hope to see some of you guys there.

And also note to take a rubber hammer and bend the false spar down where the turnbuckle rides on the top before covering.I did that and was real pleased with the results.
It is better in my experience to make the bend after covering (including tapes). Sometimes the fabric doesn't stay adhered to the false spar at the bend when shrinking and requires extra attention afterwards.

Thanks Docstory, I always appreciate your input. Jasperfield I look forward to it. My project isn't perfect but I want to get it flying with all my mite. I can't wait to be rolling south with my Cub. I'll see you guys there. Greg

photo (8).JPG
First time with the wings on. We are still working on fitting the wings. Really cool for me at this stage. Steve Pierce and the crew are helping me work through the issues. Pierce Aero is really a great place to work on a plane. They have really been a great help to me. I have learned so much this week.

Attachments

• photo (8).JPG
    photo (8).JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 283
Greg, that's a big step! Way to go! You're right about Pierce Aero.

Before you leave, you will have made lots of progress. You've worked at it every day, and I saw the progress through some of the difficult phases of construction.

Jasperfield

Greg,
Awesome thread with lots of useful information. My Dad and I recently picked up a project cub so your thread is incentive. Thanks to everyone for sharing their ideas and lessons, it makes things not so scary
We look forward to seeing your finished project.
Cheers,
Rick

Was over at Greg's earlier and he still has the smile on his face from Graham. He learned a lot from all you guys that helped out, and he shared some of what he learned with me, so thanks from both of us.

We were looking at his prop (came as part of the deal) and it's stamped as a 76/60. Since I've been doing a little prop research for the 360 lately, it seemed as though this is excessive pitch. I know you can add pitch, but is there any problem removing it? If not he can use mine, Pierce already ordered a climb replacement for me, but Greg needs to burn some fuel,,,,seriously,,,,like yesterday. Otherwise, my next visit with him may be under supervision in some sort of small padded room.:)

Keep up the great work Greg, it's happening, day by day, inch by inch, but when she's done, she's gonna be great!

Hagar

Generally a prop pitch can be changed in both directions. It would depend on "how much" and "how many times" over the life time of the prop. Also, the limitations vary from one manufacturer to another.

If Greg is ready to fly, my suggestion would be to use the prop "as is". Then using the performance with that prop as a "base line", change the pitch to suit. I don't know where the nearest prop shop is located, but he could fly it there and get the job done while he waits.

Thank You Bill, Ak Navigator, and Billy for the Kind words. It helps keep me going. Skywagon8a, My engine is a V0360, Experimental, out of a Brantly Helo, as far as I know. It was Nick Smiths personal engine. He build a float plane, flew it for 6 hours and then sold the Cub to a person who already had an engine and didnt want to pay for the engine apparently. The logs are short and incomplete. It has 6 hours on the case, and 0 time on the cylinders rebuild. It had crome cylinders and Nick tells me he didn't like those because of the oil burn with crome cylinders. Now it just has regular cylinders w/ 0 time on the rebuild. Nick was nice enough to throw the engine in with the deal unprompted, so I am grateful and hopefull it will pan out. He says not to give that engine a second thought. I have the moisture plugs in and I have marine fogged the cylinders after I had had the engine for about 5 months? Billy was nice enough to offer to loan me his new cruise prop off of his New 180 horse Top Cub if mine won't work. Thank you for the kind offer Billy. What to you think Skywagon8a?

Greg,
I'm guessing that you may have a prop from a Cherokee? The TC for the PA-28-180 gives a static full throttle RPM range of 2325 - 2425. If my guess is correct, bolt that prop on and run it. Can you get those static run up numbers? If so fly it. It will be fast (for a Cub) but not optimum. It will not turn up high on take off and the rate of climb will not be great. It will help if you can mount a manifold pressure gauge ( even if only temporary) in order to accurately determine the power settings. Then talk to your friendly prop shop with your MP & RPM numbers (climb at 70 mph, full throttle level flight, cruise speed at 24" & 2400 rpm). If you can get 24" & 2400 rpm you will have an intermediate range pitch. If the mp is higher, the pitch will be too high (cruise). If the mp is lower, the pitch will be low (climb). These will help determine how much to reduce the pitch. It may also be a good idea to talk to the prop shop before you fly just to get them in the loop.

Since you have zero time cylinders it will be a good idea to be able to turn up full power (high mp & rpm) for break in. Ideal would be full throttle and 2700 rpm. You need to run it hard for break in. So, you will not be wanting to run the prop long if the pitch turns out to be too much.

Hope this helps.

photo (9).JPGphoto (11).JPG
Thank you Skywagon8a, I really appreciate your input. Just an update, I'm a greenhorn I know, but my eyes were opened on my trip to hang with Steve and the guys. I've never put wings on, the plane will stand with out tipping over with one wing only on. Half a cub fits in my garage. So I'm fitting my jury struts one wing at a time. A big thanks to friend and neighbor Mitch, my family, and a couple of neighborhood kids for holding the wing while I pinned it. I'm doing what I can with what I can. I like a half a Cub.

Attachments

• photo (9).JPG
    photo (9).JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 221
  • photo (11).JPG
    photo (11).JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 201
Billy, I drilled the trim on the front edge an back edge of the skylight the last couple days. I'm just knocking out little odds and ends that will be part of the other 90% once I get the covering on. My flaps are suppose to ship next week. Flaps are one of the last few thing I must test fit before covering. There are other thing I may try to do before covering like working on some of the instruments and electronics. I am getting a few of my instrument used possibly as one of my friends is upgrading his 180 to the Aspen System. I'll have to have the airspeed sent off and refaced if that deal goes down. The funds and time waiting for the instruments to be ready may push me to covering before that. I know my desire to get back in the air is not suppose to be in control, but the need and want to be pilot in command in my Cub is ever present. I appreciate your interest and friendship. Greg

The loaner nicopress crimper is on its way.
Thank you my friend. I really appreciated your help and advice while we were at Graham.... I was talking to flymore last night on the phone and he was encouraging me to start thinking about readying my power plant. So I will be looking into having it looked over so I can bring it all together at the finish.

Was looking in the member area the other day and came across a schematic for the standard PA-18. (not sure they came with strobes) Anyway, it's well drawn and should be somewhat easy to follow, differences being the particular components you will be installing vs. what the diagram shows, shouldn't be a big deal though. It would be nice if we could get this printed out before starting, larger than standard, maybe a couple of copies, do you have access to any big printers? If not, maybe I can drop by Kinko's. Let me know when you're ready to start. I think I got Kelly talked into going to RPH for the prop on Tues., if not the seat is yours if you want it. Weather permitting, I'll leave @ 07:30, Steve said it should only take a few hours to do the bungees and Prop, have you home before dinner if Kelly doesn't go.

Billy, I don't have a big printer. I am off on Tuesday. I am all about getting the wives involved. If she'll go take her. If you have an empty seat and need the company it would good to be in Graham. I also really appreciate the loaner cruise prop for my engine brake in. That takes a question out of the equation. I'll pm you on the rest. Thanks for all your efforts on my behalf. Greg

Back