Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg's Supercub Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I thank God for my friends so much! I'm pretty humbled. All I can say is when the Rock gave way a couple of years ago, No friends jumped off and a lot have jumped on. How Blessed I Am. Moving forward with a load of momentum! Thank You, Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are having way too much fun. I heard Bill was bypassing Oklahoma and looking at Texas.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Question? Little history first. I have rigged the flap bell crank return cable and spring. It seams to have allot of tension. The hole in the spars for the tab at the end of the spring were pre drilled for me. I had a used cable and spring from Nick and made my new ones the exact length. My springs came from Javron for this task. I think I've done everything right. It took me and two neighbors to get the crank bolt in. My question is does the flap handle just have the leverage to over come the tention? Does this sound normal?

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greg

Sounds normal to me. That spring does have a lot of tension.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    With my old flaps which were 93" long it took around 20lbs to hold them up with my new flaps which are heavier it takes 30lbs that's each.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a brief update. I have knocked out my punch list. I believe Im going to start covering on my days off this set. I will start with the tail feathers first. If it gets to hot by the time I get to the wings, I've already been gently working the inside the house wing covering idea. So far Kimmie has not said no way yet. I have all the Stewarts I need to get through Silver if my Silver is still good. I also need to order the inpection supports from Steve. I need to thank some fokes. I recieved some much needed avionics and misc. from DW, A big thanks to him for the parts and also his knowledge. I also recieved Avionics from Bill Rusk, Jim Priess and Rick Durham among other people, Thank You. I think all I am lacking is a Cub airspeed and it is recomended that I get a Fuel totalizer. I'm hoping the wife is getting the Airspeed for me for my birthday, I put a plug in for it. Little wing and I are planning to knock out the prewiring soon. So all that being said I am starting to see the light. Thats all I have for now, I will post some pictures next week of a little covering I hope. Thank you to all my friends on this sight. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go Greg! Looks like you're in business now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Stewart Glue on my fingers. I have one horizontal covered on the bottom side. Watching the Stewart videos when questions arise. Im covering, finally. I have said for years I'm close to covering, well I am. . It's going to take a while. I'll post some pics soon. Will love to see this cub in the Bullet in a month or so. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic Greg keep plugging away......very soon it will be test flight time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like its about to come together Greg. I know this is a big day for you. Congrats
    David Childs

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right!"
    Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like
    How about some more pics?

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job, Greg. Looking forward to more updates.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (13).JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	15730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (14).JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	15731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (15).JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	15732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (16).JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	15733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (17).JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	15734Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (18).JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	15735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (19).JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	15736Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (20).JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	15737Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (21).JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	15738Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (22).JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	15739
    Here are some pictures of my first bit of my first covering project. The guy on Stewarts does a great job of explaining and showing me how much experience will help me. I have my one inch glue line and it looks strong. I have a few bumps he didn't have. I'm happy with it though. That's the update on this slow progressing cover job.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I'm talking about ......looks great Greg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Saw the Snap-on guy last week, picked up one thing I really wanted for the wiring and ordered some more,,,,,well,,,,,way more than I should have, but I think we've got all we need. Ready when you are, but would like to come over and learn about covering too. Give me a call when you've got room for me brother. I'm really getting stoked for ya!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you guys. I just keep hitting it. The second stab is coming along a little quicker, I feel my experience growing already. Little Wing, you are always welcome over here. I appreciate all the support guys, I have been highly motivated lately but there have been times when you guys and all the good threads have kept me going. Ill post some more pictures after I've covered a few of these tail feathers. I plan to cover all the feathers and then go back and do stitching and finish tape. Let me know if there is a problem with doing it that way. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    You will be wanting to put on the drain grommets before finishing. They go on the bottom. Have you determined which surface will be left or right? There are often small differences in like parts. It will be a good idea to assemble the elevators to the stabilizers before you finish, just to be sure. Look at how the elevator balance arms match up with the end of the stabilizers with the control horns bolted together. Sometimes if you swap them, they will look better.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Skywagon8a, I have chosen right from left and we test rigged it with Steve at Pearce Aero. I appreciate you mentioning the drain. Does anybody have a good picture of the drain that you could post on here? I did the right stab first because it is the side less seen. . I'm getting my son some breakfast this morning. He is taking petroleum engineering finals this week at OU. After I'm done with breakfast I'm going to finish up the left side top. I have the bed of glue tacking up now for the top side. Thank you for the reminder Skywagon8a. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    I make my self laugh. Hello, the right side is most seen. Oh well all that thinking did mr know good. Oh well at least it came out good. I will attempt to get it right on the rudder. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure you've already considered the pros and cons of drain grommets. But just in case you're doing it because that's what everybody else has, they really aren't necessary for most missions. Putting drain holes in is good enough and reduces cover and paint time.
    With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.
    "To be born free is an accident. To live free is a privilege. To die free is a responsibility."
    --- Brig. Gen. Robby Risner

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm for drain holes, no grommets....

Post Thanks / Like
    Drain holes are easy & clean to make with a small soldering iron. Grommets look nice too

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I appreciate the input very much. I have the second stab done minus the shrinking, I'm waiting for the final glue to dry. I will try to continue to strive to be a better craftsman. Im a guy wanting it to be close to perfect in a first builders body. Thanks again, keep the advice coming please. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Morning, I have the all the tail feathers wrapped. I'm moving to learn to stitch them. I will try and post a picture of the tail feathers on In a bit. I have a few avoidable tiny wrinkles in the first elevator glue. I realized I just needed to be super patient laying the pink back into the glue. The second one was much better. I also left a bit of left over glue on the top of the first stab. It is not real heavy and I think the finish tape will cover it. I learned there to lift and check to make sure I got off all the left over glue before moving on. The second one was much better. I list these thing to give back, hoping those who come after me will be able to avoid doing the same thing. That being said we have some solidly covered tail feathers and we are inching to the flight line! . Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	15822
    Likes overactor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Campbell View Post

Views:	96 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	15822
    Nice I wish I was covering

Post Thanks / Like

Views:	65 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	15829

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good. I always love covering. Makes it start looking like a plane instead of a project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Larry and Anticub. I appreciate you. I rolled into stitching today. I have been apprehensive about Stitching. Well it was slow going on the first few. If you haven't stitched just watch utube videos and the Stewart system Video and I was amazed how it became so easy. I can't believe I was nervous about it. I have the right stab stitched and then I taped the rest of the feathers. I'll put a big dent in it after work tomorrow and the next day. Have a nice weekend. Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	photo (23).JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	15943
    The tail feathers are ready for silver. Moving to the wings. That's the update.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing hard about rib stitching, just tedious and time consuming.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	photo (24).JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	16055
    Here is an update. I have one wing covered, glued, and shrunk down to 350'. I'm going to do the other wing to this stage so when I do the trim and reinforcement patches I can make them at the same time. That's all I have. Have a nice week, Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	photo (25).JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	16056
    Here is a picture of the top side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Son! That looks like progress to me. How do you like the Stewart's process? I'm just beginning and it's more tedious than I thought it would be... probably because I have no "set of directions". I've been trying to use Backcountry Super Cubs' manual, but it's one deviation-after-another from Piper's drawings. Nevertheless, I'm making "Iowa Jima" pace progress. I feel like the blind hog trying to find acorns. Honestly, were it not for your and Bill Rusk's, and many others' posts I'd probably be re-thinking my decision to build an airplane. Here, at home, my communication is limited to Internet-over-the-power-line; I don't have any type of telephone service. I'm about too remote / disconnected to build one of these things. I've followed your posts and we talked at Graham, TX, and I'm so happy that you're layin' the coal to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the Stewarts systems. I'm a first time builder, This is my first cover Job. I did take the Polly Fiber course at Sun n fun in 2006. That's my only thing to compare to experience wise. I have watched the videos Stewarts has provided and it pretty much walks you through the entire process. That being said Bill has had answer about 10 phone calls, graciously. I really like how the glue is with Stewarts, it is much easier to deal with because you are not as concerned with the set up time. You just have to make sure you wipe the excess off when doing your final glueing step. not Hard at all. It is allot of work though. When it comes to your project, you can do it. You just have to keep digging. I like what Steve Pearce told me at Graham, "it's like eating an Elephant one bite at a time, Sooner or later you'll get it eaton" I have used the manual, Graham, utube, and followed those builds on this sight. I have been lucky enough to have friends with great knowledge to come in and Give me punch lists and also ding me here and there to keep me on track. You can do it. You have a great frame to Build on. Have a nice evening. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg,
    Do I see the leading edge extended back or did you just paint the glue half way back on the top? If you have the extended leading edge, then when you do the other wing, cover the bottom first. Shrink it to the first temperature and stitch the ribs under the top leading edge section. Then cover the top and finish the job. This method will make the rib stitching easier.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Skywagon8a, This Smith Wing does extend on back. My overlap seam is over the top spar. I am going to do a red leading edge and On white so the seam will be up out of sight and hidden in the color change. I glued the top on first from the bottoms par around the front and to the bottom edge of the false spar. I glued the bottom sheet from the top spar around the front to the top of false spar giving me my fabric over lay. I put a bed of glue down for each side then did a 3 inch glue to anchor the fabric and did my initial shrink to get the wrinkles out before gluing the rest. I'll do more research on half stitching. Thank you. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    All right big boy,,,,let's see how the wings are coming along. You've been silent for two weeks, we want to see your progress!
    Thanks overactor thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	photo (26).JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	16178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (27).JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	16179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (28).JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	16180Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (29).JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	16181Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (30).JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	16182Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (31).JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	16183
    Okay Littlewing here is the update. I have both wings covered and I just finished stitching the right wing this afternoon. I'm moving to stitch the left tomorrow. Stitching is going pretty well. These wing have an extended upper leading edge so there are 4 half stitches on the bottom side. I made a modified needle to get the thread around the rib. It worked well after a little adjusting. I hope to mark my holes and begin stitching the left wing tomorrow. It feels really good to see the progress. I have just tried to stitch 2 or 3 ribs after work everyday. I'll keep trying to get to the finish. That's the update. Have a good week, Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome job, Greg. Keep it going.

Bill
    Very Blessed.