Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg's Supercub Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Rick, thank you for all your help and support this week. I'll keep plugging away on it until next Sunday. I'll post a couple of pictures of the progress on Sunday or Monday. If you get a chance fly the Pacer up later in the week, that would be cool. I really enjoyed hanging with you and all our friends. Have a blessed day, Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to seeing those pics Greg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Will Do DW, Just trying to get it closer to covering. It's slow progress but greatly accelerated with all the advice and cool tools that Steve and all the other guys have helped me with. Just got to the track for some racing. . Goin to the Front!! Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	242 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	10516
    I got a lot of important work done at Graham last week. This morning I decided to get up and test fit the engine with the help of family and friends.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	photo(2).JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	10517
    Experimental vo360

Post Thanks / Like
    Any time you can hang the engine it feels good...looks like a lot of progress Greg it won't be long now.

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good on ya Greg. Keep the faith my friend

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Greg. You've made great progress since the beginning of the seminar at Graham! keep the enthusiasm. Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Greg's Supercub Build

Looks great Greg. It's coming along nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You Tom, Bill, Jon and DW. Christian told me to do 10 minutes a day. I do my 10 minutes rain or shine. Cal said he knows how I feel, I feel some times like I'm missing all the flying. I got up this morning a little bit in a rut, I like building but sometimes the feeling of just wanting to go fly just bums me out. Christian, I got out and did my 10, Anyway I put the engine on and it just really lifted my spirits. I think I might try to fit the cowling now, should be comical, I have this fancy rivet gun and I'm not sure if I know how to use it. I'll try to post a picture of it if it goes well. I appreciate your friendships. Greg
    Thanks Beaverpilot thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow Greg, nice progress! You got it right, keep going at this pace and next thing you know it is time for first flight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even if that 10 min. is just cleaning up the hanger your still moving closer to that first flight.

Nimpo Lake, BC . . . AKA "the Floatplane Capital of BC"
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember being 50% done with 75% to go Then a bud would buzz the shop & I wanted so bad to go! I changed that depressing feeling into motivation & kept taking the next of all those steps. Most days were really enjoyable, but there WERE those days ......
    Enjoy, as best you can the process, someday you'll be really proud!
    Nimpo Lake Logan... boonie SuperCubber
    200mi (300km) from nearest stoplight... just right! - "Que hesitatus fornicatus est"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you guys. I made good progress on my interior panels in the front and down the right side of the cockpit today. I really appreciate you guys who post your projects. It has really helps me. I also appreciate my friend flymore who has been nice enough to give me a key to his hangar so that I can look in at his flying plane for a reference. Ill get it done. You guys have a good week. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep looking at any project you can. Plagiarize the hell out of any good ideas. Speaking of that, check the carbon cub guys...good ideas behind the scenes like fuel lines, etc. take all the pics you can from as many angles as possible. For example routing engine controls, or elec lines. Use someone who been there before. Good luck, always forward.

Nimpo Lake, BC . . . AKA "the Floatplane Capital of BC"
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, if you work really fast, you'll beat Cafi!!
    Nimpo Lake Logan... boonie SuperCubber
    200mi (300km) from nearest stoplight... just right! - "Que hesitatus fornicatus est"

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Folks, I was talking to Jay with Javron Yesturday. He gave me some information that might be useful for some weight savings on your Cubs. He is selling The wing tip lighting fixtures for Experimental Supercubs. He said the lights he has also come equipped with the backward facing white light that can eliminate the need for a fixture on the rudder. Im a bit of a greenhorn on this stuff, so do your own investigation. If there are any guys out there who like to push the Easy Button Jay at Javron with his packaged and listed hardware has been a huge time and money saver for me. "Great People" Just passing on what I can hope this helps you as many have helped me. Greg
    Likes overactor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this what you are talking about? http://kestrobes.com/AllLED.htm

I have these on my Cub.
    N1PA
    Likes overactor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats the first picture Ive seen, those look awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Skywagon8a, How many wires did you run out to the tips? I have 3 running out there. I havnt covered yet so I could add another... Thx Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Just the one bundle which is the grey coil in the picture. The wire comes with the package. I mounted the strobe box behind the instrument panel out of sight.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    I have those strobes/navs too. I love them. They include their own shielded three wire back to the box. I used separate nav and strobe switches. The nav's and strobes are bright and all is enclosed in the two head system.
    Last edited by Iflylower; 03-07-2013 at 12:03 AM. Reason: grammar

Post Thanks / Like
    Those look great!

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to check in I've been working on my interior and I have my glass I still need to add the top tinted window.

Post Thanks / Like

This is how my project looks right now. I'm not sure that my garage was built big enough for building airplanes, but we're still hard at it when funds allow.

Post Thanks / Like

The last couple of days I've been working on building the cowl. I have the rails pinned into place with the airplane level and the nose bowl level as well. I have to say it took me a lot longer to get to this point on the cowl than I anticipated. I still will have to pull the whole thing apart and brace the inside of the boot cowling, I just wanted to get my holes set. Even though I was told early on in the game it's still hard to believe how many times you have to take the plane apart and put it back together again to get to a certain point in the build. Just checking in, as always I appreciate all those who post their projects. It's a great help to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	supercub 1.png 
Views:	227 
Size:	418.6 KB 
ID:	12020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	supercub 2.png 
Views:	206 
Size:	441.4 KB 
ID:	12021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	supercub 3.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	12022

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Greg.
    One thing on those nav lights. You have to be able to see the white lights from the rear. If those are mounted in the stock location, the tip bow gets in the way. In the case of a square tip, you'd have to mount them really close to the trailing edge.
    With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.
    "To be born free is an accident. To live free is a privilege. To die free is a responsibility."
    --- Brig. Gen. Robby Risner

Post Thanks / Like
    Docstory, Thank you. I am doing the bow wing tips. I still have to install the bows. Bill is coming to visit on the 22nd so I will look into moving them further back if that would even work. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Greg. Keep it up!

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.aveoengineering.com/index...ation-products
    This product line is light and bright. No power packs and 22g wire to boot. The ultra series fit the stock fairings (some filing at the base may be needed). The embedded don't have the rear facing white led's, and the Posi tail assy's surface mount on the rudder position lamp housing. I really like these, partly because you almost can't kill them(unlike flash lamp strobes).
    With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.
    "To be born free is an accident. To live free is a privilege. To die free is a responsibility."
    --- Brig. Gen. Robby Risner

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	download 1.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	12754Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download 2.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	12755Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download 3.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	12757Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download 4.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	12759Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download 5.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	12761
    My friend Bill Rusk came to visit me early last week and the week before. I'm very grateful to him for his friendship and advise. Bill Fabricated the upper baggage door frame, We worked on the Elevator and Rudder travel, lots of other odds and ends, and Bill gave me a page long to-do list to prepare for covering. I've already scratched off a third of the list. I hope to knock the rest out soon. My friend Steve Pierce always warns against putting dates on the finish, but I would love to be back in the air by sometime in the spring. What a day it will be. A little each day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download 4.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	12758  

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg, it is looking really nice. Bill told me that you are doing a good job, and that is truly a compliment coming from him. You are a good man

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You Randy. I couldn't do this with out great friend helping me along the way. I appreciate your advice. Lately an old friend of our Oklahoma group has helped me, Bill Coit of Coit Aviation has loaned me his sheet bending equipment for some of my panels. This is all while using a walker to get around the hangar due to a stroke and more recently a heart attack just two weeks ago. I called to see if he was okay two days after he got out of the hospital and he said come by I'm out in the hangar. He was already back at it. Aviation just gets in our blood. Anyway Hold Bill Coit up in your prayers. I'm working on my wing root panels today on my day off. I need to get my window channel to finish the bottom edge right. Have a great day guys. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a couple of days off now. It's hot, hot in the garage the last week. I hit it for a few, go in and then hit again. We have wx coming in, makes me smile for the rain cooling, cooler shop. I'm working on my two baggage doors. I'm putting c channel in so I can then put a rubber trim seal in after covering to water seal the baggage. I've been working on it after work for the last couple of evenings, I try not to think about how long it's taking. I get down sometimes thinking about how long some tasks take. I just keep plugging. It keeps me going seeing it look more and more like a Cub. I'll try to post a pic of my doors once they are roughed in minus paint. There will be allot of nicer Cubs out there but none that will mean more to me than this one. Anyway that's the update. Have a good week guys. A friend Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	plane 1.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	12914Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plane 2.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	12915Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plane 3.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	12916
    I'm working on the headliner today. Tal was nice enough to sell me his old headliner out of his beautifully restored 90 horse Cub. The liner was a near fit. I had to put a mild break in the front cap. I used my late fathers Workmate as a press brake which worked great. Thanks Dad. This week I will continue to check things off as I inch toward covering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg,

I've been following your posts of building your airplane. It looks really nice. I'm glad you're posting your work so I can use it when I begin building my airplane. Sometimes I find that when I have a hard task to do I'll dread starting it and fret over it long before I ever get to doing it. When I do get down to doing the work I find that, in my mind, I've built it up to be a much more difficult problem than it actually is. I'm concerned that, when I get to it, I'll have a hard time with the boot cowl and engine cowling. In my opinion the boot cowl and engine cowling can be the toughest part of any project.

For the last two weeks I've been expanding my small shop and enclosing its attached tractor shed. That work has given me an 18' X 28' space with a concrete floor and lights. I'm right now done and will soon get serious about beginning a project going.

I'm glad you're making good progress. You've come a long way from a bare fuselage.

Jasperfield

Post Thanks / Like
    Got many hours ridding around with that headliner Greg. Looking good.

Jasperfield, I am the same way.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Just about every construction site I see there is a RC aircraft in the back ground. I guess I will have to bring mine out to the shop also. Looking very nice Greg keep it going.
    Likes pfm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You Guys,

Jasperfield, I will be watching for your build thread. I like you think about what I'm going to do next for days. I have figured out that I need to have multiple projects within the project going. While I'm losing sleep worrying about the next couple of projects, I am hard at the problems I worked out in my mind last week. I'm sure you have seen on here I have to do something every day to this Cub. There have been some times when I lacked funds and parts to continue at the pace I want. I even had a month here where I didn't seem to do a whole lot. Through those times I still went out to the shop and tried to straighten up the shop. I guess to some it up I remember where you are, getting your shop set up. You are all ready building toward your finished plane, so get that airframe in there and start doing your 10 minutes a day. Thank you for your kind words, I look forward to watching your build.

Steve, I plan for you to get more time flying with that headliner. I have really appreciated your advice.

Larry, This big life carrying model has consumed my model time for now. I look forward to those evening in the yard and over at flymore's flying field flying the models. That 3rd scale ultimate is awesome, I have always loved stick slapping those ultimate bipes around the sky. I like to pull those sticks back in the corner and watch them tumble. nothing tumbles like an Ultimate. Course I love doing wheel landings over and over again with the 3rd scale J3 as well. I get back to it soon.

I've said it before, It's worth mentioning again, I really appreciate all you folks who share your experience and friendships on this site. The knowledge shared really is helping. Thanks Greg