Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Greg's Supercub Build

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Andrew and Pete

Entry speed is tough to tell (and somewhat irrelevant) as the pitot input is way off at the high AOA required for entry. No flap power on stalls were at 29 indicated, full flap power on it was indicating 23 to 24 mph but I am confident that is lower than actual, just because the airflow into the pitot tube is tangental at that AOA. In order to get it to spin (and pretty much any Cub with VG's) you must do a power on stall with the nose 20 to 30 degrees above the horizon. Just prior to the break aggressively apply full rudder in the direction you want to spin. It will often tuck under a little in the first half of rotation, then the nose will come up on the second half of the first rotation. I usually like to see at least 3 turns to allow the spin to stabilize a little, and to make sure it does not self recover as Greg's did when going right, before I initiate recovery.
    Pete - you are right, and I was aware of the CG when doing the test. I calculated it to be about 12.1" with just me solo, so certainly toward the front end of the range. It preformed pretty much exactly as expected, and as you noted, with that CG. If he gap seals the elevator, I believe I could get the right spin, at the same CG. Or without the gap seals a further aft CG would also probably allow the elevator to drive the wing to a high enough AOA to get the spin. He is running out of elevator in the flare, as you would expect without the gap seals, and at that CG. It flares great if you get behind the power curve and drive it in with power, again just as you would expect. All in all a very predictable Cub that flies very well and does exactly what you expect it to. No surprises at all.

Hope this helps

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rusk View Post
    Andrew and Pete

Entry speed is tough to tell (and somewhat irrelevant) as the pitot input is way off at the high AOA required for entry. No flap power on stalls were at 29 indicated, full flap power on it was indicating 23 to 24 mph but I am confident that is lower than actual, just because the airflow into the pitot tube is tangental at that AOA. In order to get it to spin (and pretty much any Cub with VG's) you must do a power on stall with the nose 20 to 30 degrees above the horizon. Just prior to the break aggressively apply full rudder in the direction you want to spin. It will often tuck under a little in the first half of rotation, then the nose will come up on the second half of the first rotation. I usually like to see at least 3 turns to allow the spin to stabilize a little, and to make sure it does not self recover as Greg's did when going right, before I initiate recovery.
    Pete - you are right, and I was aware of the CG when doing the test. I calculated it to be about 12.1" with just me solo, so certainly toward the front end of the range. It preformed pretty much exactly as expected, and as you noted, with that CG. If he gap seals the elevator, I believe I could get the right spin, at the same CG. Or without the gap seals a further aft CG would also probably allow the elevator to drive the wing to a high enough AOA to get the spin. He is running out of elevator in the flare, as you would expect without the gap seals, and at that CG. It flares great if you get behind the power curve and drive it in with power, again just as you would expect. All in all a very predictable Cub that flies very well and does exactly what you expect it to. No surprises at all.

Hope this helps

Bill
    All good info.

Stock (certified) Cub, O-320, no VG's, I found it would do the same to the right if the spin was entered from a non-accelerated level flight stall. Normally I would enter the spin at 60 mph (left or right) with a little power, and then it would properly enter the spin and stay there. The spin could be entered to the left from a non-accelerated level flight stall, but it all seemed like hard work.

Andrew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Andrew

I agree it does take a bit of work to get them to spin. It is much easier to get non-VG's Cubs to spin. In some cases I have not been able to get a Cub with VG's to spin even with a VERY aggressive entry.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    My non-VG Cub will not spin unless it is loaded to the aft CG limit. Steep spiral yes, spin no.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Campbell View Post
    Hopefully if I can sometime get a Kato prop I'll lose 30lbs on the nose. I need gap seals too.
    Gaffers tape works well for gap seals on the tail
    Fast or slow, always low, freedom of flight soothes the soul.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You Cubdriver218, I have been pondering your suggestion. I think I might try to get some Gaffers tape ordered. I looked on line. This all new to me. I am on a budget. I might some time buy the rubber seals. Gaffers Tape, what width do you recommend? , Are all gaffers tapes created alike, or should I order it from a certain company to get the quality I will need. Thank You. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg, just try some masking or electrical tape to determine if you really need to close those gaps. Unless you are operating at the limits of the elevators effectiveness, you may find that you do not need any gap seal at all.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Friends, I havnt posted in a while. Just a quick update. I have 62 hours on my Cub now. I'm about to do the second oil change on my 67 smoh with about a 5 year pickle before that.. "Guessing a bit there" on the originally VIO 360. I will send the sample off to be tested. I'll let you know the findings there. I am excited to try an hit the Cookson Airport Breakfast flyin on Lake Tenkiller in April and make a possible push to get to Johnson Creek in June... All things going right. The Cub is everything I had dreamed of, just a joy to fly. It's what I wanted to fly and I Am. I hope to log a bunch of hours and see many of you this summer. Have a great weekend, Greg
    Thanks Jasperfield thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0092[2529].PNG 
Views:	166 
Size:	345.6 KB 
ID:	30916
    Friends, This is my oil report. In a small attempt to give back to all of you who have helped me, I'm sharing this information with you. If there are those out there that have knowledge in this area and would like to post your thoughts they would be welcome. Have a good weekend, Greg
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a good report to me considering a fresh engine....
    Thanks Greg Campbell thanked for this post
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Name:  IMG_1139.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  340.9 KB

Name:	IMG_1140.jpg 
Views:	677 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	31771Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1141.jpg 
Views:	669 
Size:	637.9 KB 
ID:	31772

Name:	IMG_1142.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	31775

Johnson Creek Idaho! The Journey is Complete! I'm hoping the continuing journey will reap many great memories with family and You friends.
    Likes windy, Bill Rusk, CamTom12, Hardtailjohn, Rob and 4 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    With a little Utah on the way.

Can't forget the Okie fire starter. More one use for an air mattress inflator.

Sent from my SM-N900V using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes Flying Bee, CamTom12, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	IMG_0408.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	902.5 KB 
ID:	31776

Greg after landing at Landmark

Post Thanks / Like
    This is just sooo cool. What a great cap to an awesome journey. Many folks said he could not do it, that he would never finish the build. Lack of knowledge and lack of resources. He gained the knowledge and scrounged the resources!
    He built his dream and made it safely to Idaho and back. Pure desire, and willpower got him there.

Greg, I am so proud of you buddy. Congratulations. YOU DID IT. Pat yourself on the back my friend. You deserve it. Thanks to your lovely wife and family for their support too. Awesome job guys!!

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Greg, mission fulfilled!
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Morning Friends, Its been a while since I have posted. Just a brief update on the Cub. I have been pretty busy with work and family things this Summer. Let my Cub get out of Annual by a couple of days. I was planning to pay a service to do the 3rd annual just to get a different set of eyes on her. So decided to move it up a year, since I was running late on the annual. I had my flight service Chickasha Wings do the Annual. I was pleased to get the report of "A very sound aircraft". I had one squawk a pin hole in my exhaust pipe. I was pretty pleased. I have just been flying local this Summer, hoping to fly allot in the Fall. I hope to hit some good fly-ins next Summer too. That's the update. Have a great week. Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Update

Friends, Just and Update. Almost Three Years since Completion of my Project. I am on 31” thanks to a friend Gabriel selling me an unused single he had in his hangar as an extra. I then contacted my friend Cory with the Great Folks At Airframes Alaska, Alaskan Bushwheels to purchase the 2nd. I’ve been dreaming about getting some the whole time. I just kept it out there in the future. Gabriel said You gotta be on 31”. I knew that. He offered me a great price, grateful for that. So I found a way to make it happen. If I may boast it makes a plane look sexy. Looking forward to taking My Kimmie to a Cub gathering soon. That’s the update. Have A Great Week Friends.

Name:	plane pic 1.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	237.9 KB 
ID:	42406Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plane pic 2.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	42407Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plane pic 3.jpeg 
Views:	59 
Size:	255.0 KB 
ID:	42408Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plane pic 4.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	42409Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plane pic 5.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	253.4 KB 
ID:	42410

Post Thanks / Like
    greg does the redi rod-block deal work good??

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it worked very well. Made it easy to mount. I was ready for some frustration but it pulled the rim halves right together. Just had to get the blocks small enough to start the threads.