• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Greg's Supercub Build

Just the one bundle which is the grey coil in the picture. The wire comes with the package. I mounted the strobe box behind the instrument panel out of sight.

I have those strobes/navs too. I love them. They include their own shielded three wire back to the box. I used separate nav and strobe switches. The nav's and strobes are bright and all is enclosed in the two head system.

Last edited:
download

Just wanted to check in I've been working on my interior and I have my glass I still need to add the top tinted window.

download

This is how my project looks right now. I'm not sure that my garage was built big enough for building airplanes, but we're still hard at it when funds allow.

download

The last couple of days I've been working on building the cowl. I have the rails pinned into place with the airplane level and the nose bowl level as well. I have to say it took me a lot longer to get to this point on the cowl than I anticipated. I still will have to pull the whole thing apart and brace the inside of the boot cowling, I just wanted to get my holes set. Even though I was told early on in the game it's still hard to believe how many times you have to take the plane apart and put it back together again to get to a certain point in the build. Just checking in, as always I appreciate all those who post their projects. It's a great help to me.

Looking good Greg.
One thing on those nav lights. You have to be able to see the white lights from the rear. If those are mounted in the stock location, the tip bow gets in the way. In the case of a square tip, you'd have to mount them really close to the trailing edge.

Docstory, Thank you. I am doing the bow wing tips. I still have to install the bows. Bill is coming to visit on the 22nd so I will look into moving them further back if that would even work. Greg

http://www.aveoengineering.com/index.php/products-1/general-aviation-products
This product line is light and bright. No power packs and 22g wire to boot. The ultra series fit the stock fairings (some filing at the base may be needed). The embedded don't have the rear facing white led's, and the Posi tail assy's surface mount on the rudder position lamp housing. I really like these, partly because you almost can't kill them(unlike flash lamp strobes).

download 1.jpgdownload 2.jpgdownload 3.jpgdownload 4.jpgdownload 5.jpg
My friend Bill Rusk came to visit me early last week and the week before. I'm very grateful to him for his friendship and advise. Bill Fabricated the upper baggage door frame, We worked on the Elevator and Rudder travel, lots of other odds and ends, and Bill gave me a page long to-do list to prepare for covering. I've already scratched off a third of the list. I hope to knock the rest out soon. My friend Steve Pierce always warns against putting dates on the finish, but I would love to be back in the air by sometime in the spring. What a day it will be. A little each day.

Attachments

• download 1.jpg
    download 1.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 350
  • download 2.jpg
    download 2.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 326
  • download 3.jpg
    download 3.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 311
  • download 4.jpg
    download 4.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 270
  • download 4.jpg
    download 4.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 324
  • download 5.jpg
    download 5.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 310
Greg, it is looking really nice. Bill told me that you are doing a good job, and that is truly a compliment coming from him. You are a good man:)

Randy

Thank You Randy. I couldn't do this with out great friend helping me along the way. I appreciate your advice. Lately an old friend of our Oklahoma group has helped me, Bill Coit of Coit Aviation has loaned me his sheet bending equipment for some of my panels. This is all while using a walker to get around the hangar due to a stroke and more recently a heart attack just two weeks ago. I called to see if he was okay two days after he got out of the hospital and he said come by I'm out in the hangar. He was already back at it. Aviation just gets in our blood. Anyway Hold Bill Coit up in your prayers. I'm working on my wing root panels today on my day off. I need to get my window channel to finish the bottom edge right. Have a great day guys. Greg

I have a couple of days off now. It's hot, hot in the garage the last week. I hit it for a few, go in and then hit again. We have wx coming in, makes me smile for the rain cooling, cooler shop. I'm working on my two baggage doors. I'm putting c channel in so I can then put a rubber trim seal in after covering to water seal the baggage. I've been working on it after work for the last couple of evenings, I try not to think about how long it's taking. I get down sometimes thinking about how long some tasks take. I just keep plugging. It keeps me going seeing it look more and more like a Cub. I'll try to post a pic of my doors once they are roughed in minus paint. There will be allot of nicer Cubs out there but none that will mean more to me than this one. Anyway that's the update. Have a good week guys. A friend Greg

plane 1.jpgplane 2.jpgplane 3.jpg
I'm working on the headliner today. Tal was nice enough to sell me his old headliner out of his beautifully restored 90 horse Cub. The liner was a near fit. I had to put a mild break in the front cap. I used my late fathers Workmate as a press brake which worked great. Thanks Dad. This week I will continue to check things off as I inch toward covering.

Attachments

• plane 1.jpg
    plane 1.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 285
  • plane 2.jpg
    plane 2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 253
  • plane 3.jpg
    plane 3.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 241
Greg,

I've been following your posts of building your airplane. It looks really nice. I'm glad you're posting your work so I can use it when I begin building my airplane. Sometimes I find that when I have a hard task to do I'll dread starting it and fret over it long before I ever get to doing it. When I do get down to doing the work I find that, in my mind, I've built it up to be a much more difficult problem than it actually is. I'm concerned that, when I get to it, I'll have a hard time with the boot cowl and engine cowling. In my opinion the boot cowl and engine cowling can be the toughest part of any project.

For the last two weeks I've been expanding my small shop and enclosing its attached tractor shed. That work has given me an 18' X 28' space with a concrete floor and lights. I'm right now done and will soon get serious about beginning a project going.

I'm glad you're making good progress. You've come a long way from a bare fuselage.

Jasperfield

Just about every construction site I see there is a RC aircraft in the back ground. I guess I will have to bring mine out to the shop also. Looking very nice Greg keep it going.

Thank You Guys,

Jasperfield, I will be watching for your build thread. I like you think about what I'm going to do next for days. I have figured out that I need to have multiple projects within the project going. While I'm losing sleep worrying about the next couple of projects, I am hard at the problems I worked out in my mind last week. I'm sure you have seen on here I have to do something every day to this Cub. There have been some times when I lacked funds and parts to continue at the pace I want. I even had a month here where I didn't seem to do a whole lot. Through those times I still went out to the shop and tried to straighten up the shop. I guess to some it up I remember where you are, getting your shop set up. You are all ready building toward your finished plane, so get that airframe in there and start doing your 10 minutes a day. Thank you for your kind words, I look forward to watching your build.

Steve, I plan for you to get more time flying with that headliner. I have really appreciated your advice.

Larry, This big life carrying model has consumed my model time for now. I look forward to those evening in the yard and over at flymore's flying field flying the models. That 3rd scale ultimate is awesome, I have always loved stick slapping those ultimate bipes around the sky. I like to pull those sticks back in the corner and watch them tumble. nothing tumbles like an Ultimate. Course I love doing wheel landings over and over again with the 3rd scale J3 as well. I get back to it soon.

I've said it before, It's worth mentioning again, I really appreciate all you folks who share your experience and friendships on this site. The knowledge shared really is helping. Thanks Greg

Greg,

Very nice!! Should they be hinged in the front so they will stay closed of blow against the fuselage if they become unlatched in flight?

Lowrider, I have seen the the upper door hinged on the side. It looks like it works good that way. I chose the hinge on the bottom the door because the frame tubing is there and will in turn make the hinge stronger there. The side of the door jam is not as strong, small c chanel and stringer. I am always open to ideas. Thanks you for your input I am considering it. Greg

Thank you Larry, alway appreciate you input.

Just make sure you pull the key out of the upper baggage door after unlocking it so it doesn't scuff the paint/fabric when open.

Just make sure you pull the key out of the upper baggage door after unlocking it so it doesn't scuff the paint/fabric when open.
I know, I thought of that. After I was finished of course. ;( You are right, it hits right on the side stringer if you can's see in the photo. I will just pull the key every time. I'll have a silent rule to keep the key with the ignition key and never leave it in the baggage door either way. I will also make a spot for a complete spare set. Thank you doc story, Greg

download@1.jpgdownload@2.jpgdownload@3.jpg
I am working on the cowl doors. I have the hinges drilled, and I am starting to work on the bottom edge of the doors, as well as drilling the holes for the latches.

Attachments

• download@1.jpg
    download@1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 229
  • download@2.jpg
    download@2.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 271
  • download@3.jpg
    download@3.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 257
Back