Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg's Supercub Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Men, I have 3 of the 15 ribs to stitch done on then second wing and am rapidly approaching laying my tapes and reinforcement patches. I was wondering if Pete or maybe one of you other guys might be able to post a picture of your strut attaching to the wing. I have the aluminum reinforcements from Pearce Aero. I know from Bills posts on his thread the strut sinks up into the wing. My friends Cub Crafters actually has a V made into his wing to create the Gap. Any input is appreciated. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg, theres some formed metal parts that fit in this area for the fabric to fasten to, called frabric formers.They work well if installed right. http://dakotacub.com/index.php?optio..._id=74&cat_id=
    Last edited by tempdoug; 06-18-2014 at 10:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, that must be what David has on the Cubcrafters. It looks like that. I was going to test try these I have. tempdoug if I buy the ones you just posted, do I just press them into the fabric?

Post Thanks / Like
    There suppose to go on before the fabric, screwed on, then the fabric glues to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could i see a picture of what you have, theres always something new that im not aware of.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll check with you in the morning. I'm a 3.30am start so I need to hit the hay. I appreciate you guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw your post I'll send a pic in a minute. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (33).JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	16214Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (34).JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	16215

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are new to me, someone will help here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check Bill Rusk's thread. I believe his are the same and he has several pics showing his install. Looked really clean and sharp the way he did it. The thread is titled "Building a Javron Cub" , last page, post #1102. Good luck with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You, yes I have the same hardware. I'll give it a go here in a few days. I'm sure it's like everything else has been. It ends up being easy to do than I first make it out to be. Have a good morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg,
    Bill's pictures say it all. I do not use the metal plate, just cut out a piece of scrap fabric similar to Bill's and stick it on. When the strut is installed, just hit the end with the palm of your hand to push up in place. Done, nothing fancy, nothing to see behind the strut. The fabric will stretch to fit nicely behind the strut. If you ever take the wing off, all you will see is a dent in the fabric.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You Pete, I like that Idea. Since yours is a Smith wing and it worked for you I'll go with that. I also really appreciated the hole locations for the cable you sent me. Thanks everybody for all the help you've given me the last couple of years. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg, here is a picture of the plate behind the fabric which Piper used to form the fabric up into the wing so that the pulley bracket can attach to the strut without deforming the fabric surface.

Name:	front strut fitting (Medium).jpg 
Views:	1179 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	16217

This is how I form the grommet to go over this area.

Name:	frt strut grommet.jpg 
Views:	1220 
Size:	579.0 KB 
ID:	16218

Piper used plastic grommets in this are and we would stack bucking bars on the grommets once glued to make them lay down in the indentation until the glue dried. When I started making them out of aluminum I can form them to fit the contour of the part underneath. Note that your strut attach fittings are solid aluminum blocks and Piper's are steel "U" channels. You will have to trim the grommets to fit your fittings.

Name:	103_8918.JPG 
Views:	1207 
Size:	428.0 KB 
ID:	16219

Name:	103_8920.JPG 
Views:	1202 
Size:	351.9 KB 
ID:	16220
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, Thank you for the pictures. They really help. Ill try to do it like the picture as much as possible. I may try to test fit the pulley and the strut before I final glue. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, so your grommet reinforces the fabric around the fitting and holds the fabric away from the strut in the center, is what its designed to do?? I remember with just the plate when all done it was still a little struggle getting the bolt in. I will have to look and seen if any fabric is touching the end of the strut.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	photo (35).JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	16304
    I finished stitching my wings this afternoon after work. Im gearing up to trim tape and glue in the reinforcement patches. It feels really good to have my wings stitched. More elephant please.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you lay out your inspection rings, shine a light against the top side so that you can see the outline of the parts through the bottom, that will need access. Sometimes it is a good idea to shift the location of the ring a little to one side, so that you can get your hand and a tool inside to do whatever. Put plenty of reinforcing rings on the fabric. You don't need to cut them out until you need them. Then you will be glad that they are there.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You Pete. I'll use that bit of advice. I have a picture diagram from Steve Pierce and pictures I took of Flymore's Cc scub. If you happen to have a picture of the underside of your wing and you wouldn't mind posting it I would find that useful. Kimmie had hernia surgery a couple of days ago so I'm hooked up trying to take the house hold load off her after work everyday. I did manage to get out to the garage and start prepping my inspection reinforcement pieces. Have a nice evening. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, I do not have any useable pictures that would help you.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    No worries, I have appreciated your input over the last year and a half.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know its a little late for this (at least on your project) but here goes anyway. A good friend of mine is an AME (AI/ A&P for the yankees). He is also one of the best fabric guys I have ever seen. He swears by covering the underside of the wing first- top of front spar around to aileron/flap cove. He then lays out and glues his inspection rings in through the still open top side of the wing. Then run top side fabric from bottom of front spar back around to aileron cove. Perfect placement of inspection covers every time. I know I know: You can see the seam. But if you take time to lay out a nice straight seam it still looks great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You wronghand. I cut the fabric reinforcements for the lift strut to wing attach points. I'm hoping to glue the aluminum in place while using weight to hold it firmly to the wing fabric. I have some video of this I'm also going to watch before attempting this. My inexperience sure slows me down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You wronghand. I cut the fabric reinforcements for the lift strut to wing attach points. I'm hoping to glue the aluminum in place while using weight to hold it firmly to the wing fabric. I have some video of this I'm also going to watch before attempting this. My inexperience sure slows me down.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	photo (36).JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	16353Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (37).JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	16354
    I cut some left over PVC pipe and used the ceiling of the garage to apply pressure while the glue is drying on the lift strut to wing reinforcement aluminum. Working well so far, I'll let you know on how this shade tree method works out. Another one of the few benefits to a small work space, low ceiling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are two good photo's showing the before and after. The only thing I see wrong is you're mixing gray and white PVC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scrap Kieth, scrap I say. It all came out well. I woke up at 7am and couldn't quit thinking about it. Went out there and finished up the 2nd. In the process of glueing down the inspection rings tonight. Kieth I hope you are well and building away on your Javron. Have a nice evening all. Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	photo (39).JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	16436
    Update, The Left wing is ready for silver. Starting the tapes on the right wing. I hope to get everything covered and then move to primer.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	photo (1).PNG 
Views:	60 
Size:	455.6 KB 
ID:	16880Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (40).JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	16881Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (41).JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	16882Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (42).JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	16883
    Update. I finally have the fuse ready for primer, aside from the hours of prep I hear. I only need to covering the flaps ailerons and entry door. Then I will build my paint booth and start shooting primer. I've been very happy with the Stewart system do far. That's the update, have a nice week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey man,,,,that really is an airplane in your garage! You've got to be getting excited, I'm so happy for you. You'll be running tests before you know it. Still waiting on a phone call to get started on the wiring. Keep it up mi amigo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job Greg do you have your colors picked out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you guys. Hey DW, I'm going white with the classic scheme, Red stripes, red leading edge. Interior gray. Billy, I am going to try to get the paint on and put it back on the gear. Then I'll be hoping for a ton of help from all you friends to get this Cub to the flight line. I have a hole in my heart the size of the Grand Canyon from not flying. I am starting to feel that I'm going to be rewarded for the decision to not fly and build the plane I really want to fly. I think I see the finish out there in the distance. I am covering a flap today. I have the holiday off this weekend and I'm going to press on and try to have the fabric done by Tuesday. Will begin researching the primer and paint process soon. Have a great Day. Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	photo (43).JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	17223
    Let's Build A Paint Booth. I have it covered. I will now begin to research the paint process. I'm in uncharted territory but have been much of the project. I have really loved the Stewart system so far and I am looking forward to working with their paint system. I will start to build a paint booth in my garage now. That's the update. Have a nice week, Greg

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greg - you are friggin awesome. Man you are getting after it. Congrats
    See you next week.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg I am doing my Stinson with Stewarts the top coat is great IF YOU FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS TO THE LETTER!!!! go slow and take your time and it will look greatClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1415.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	477.8 KB 
ID:	17225Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1410.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	519.3 KB 
ID:	17226

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greg,

Nice work and I'm glad to hear positive comments on the Stewart's Sys. I'm only doing primer but will be starting to cover control surfaces soon...you're a motivator for sure!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

There are no new ways to crash an airplane no matter how hard you may try!

Post Thanks / Like
    Some pictures of my temporary paint booth for my Shortwing's parts. All Stewarts, should be done with the EkoFill next week and on to EkoPoly topcoat.

Jim

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412295386.860170.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	264.5 KB 
ID:	17264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412295401.940341.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	235.2 KB 
ID:	17265Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412295449.113913.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	327.6 KB 
ID:	17266

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg,

I just sent you an email via SC.org.

Jasperfield

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that's a great idea Jim, I hope I can be right on your heals. I have silver on hand and I will have to save to buy the topcoat soon I hope. My booth is coming along. I am building it or attempting to build it almost entirely of donated wood that my neighbor offered me when she replaced her almost new deck with a newer deck. It's redneck, it's snugged into my garage. I am ripping 2x6's into 2x3's. It's about 24' x 12'. I've been hitting it for the last 4 days after work. I am slowed by pulling the nails out of the old wood. I will try an post a picture when I'm done. I warn you it's redneck but I don't care as long as it gives me clean air and ultimately a good looking Cub.

Post Thanks / Like
    What thickness in clear plastic do you guys think I should wrap the booth in?