• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Greg's Supercub Build

Okay, I appreciate the input very much. I have the second stab done minus the shrinking, I'm waiting for the final glue to dry. I will try to continue to strive to be a better craftsman. Im a guy wanting it to be close to perfect in a first builders body. Thanks again, keep the advice coming please. Greg

Good Morning, I have the all the tail feathers wrapped. I'm moving to learn to stitch them. I will try and post a picture of the tail feathers on In a bit. I have a few avoidable tiny wrinkles in the first elevator glue. I realized I just needed to be super patient laying the pink back into the glue. The second one was much better. I also left a bit of left over glue on the top of the first stab. It is not real heavy and I think the finish tape will cover it. I learned there to lift and check to make sure I got off all the left over glue before moving on. The second one was much better. I list these thing to give back, hoping those who come after me will be able to avoid doing the same thing. That being said we have some solidly covered tail feathers and we are inching to the flight line! :). Greg

Looking good. I always love covering. Makes it start looking like a plane instead of a project. :)

Thank you Larry and Anticub. I appreciate you. I rolled into stitching today. I have been apprehensive about Stitching. Well it was slow going on the first few. If you haven't stitched just watch utube videos and the Stewart system Video and I was amazed how it became so easy. I can't believe I was nervous about it. I have the right stab stitched and then I taped the rest of the feathers. I'll put a big dent in it after work tomorrow and the next day. Have a nice weekend. Greg

photo (24).JPG
Here is an update. I have one wing covered, glued, and shrunk down to 350'. I'm going to do the other wing to this stage so when I do the trim and reinforcement patches I can make them at the same time. That's all I have. Have a nice week, Greg

Attachments

• photo (24).JPG
    photo (24).JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 154
Son! That looks like progress to me. How do you like the Stewart's process? I'm just beginning and it's more tedious than I thought it would be... probably because I have no "set of directions". I've been trying to use Backcountry Super Cubs' manual, but it's one deviation-after-another from Piper's drawings. Nevertheless, I'm making "Iowa Jima" pace progress. I feel like the blind hog trying to find acorns. Honestly, were it not for your and Bill Rusk's, and many others' posts I'd probably be re-thinking my decision to build an airplane. Here, at home, my communication is limited to Internet-over-the-power-line; I don't have any type of telephone service. I'm about too remote / disconnected to build one of these things. I've followed your posts and we talked at Graham, TX, and I'm so happy that you're layin' the coal to it.

I really like the Stewarts systems. I'm a first time builder, This is my first cover Job. I did take the Polly Fiber course at Sun n fun in 2006. That's my only thing to compare to experience wise. I have watched the videos Stewarts has provided and it pretty much walks you through the entire process. That being said Bill has had answer about 10 phone calls, graciously. I really like how the glue is with Stewarts, it is much easier to deal with because you are not as concerned with the set up time. You just have to make sure you wipe the excess off when doing your final glueing step. not Hard at all. It is allot of work though. When it comes to your project, you can do it. You just have to keep digging. I like what Steve Pearce told me at Graham, "it's like eating an Elephant one bite at a time, Sooner or later you'll get it eaton" I have used the manual, Graham, utube, and followed those builds on this sight. I have been lucky enough to have friends with great knowledge to come in and Give me punch lists and also ding me here and there to keep me on track. You can do it. You have a great frame to Build on. Have a nice evening. Greg

Greg,
Do I see the leading edge extended back or did you just paint the glue half way back on the top? If you have the extended leading edge, then when you do the other wing, cover the bottom first. Shrink it to the first temperature and stitch the ribs under the top leading edge section. Then cover the top and finish the job. This method will make the rib stitching easier.

Skywagon8a, This Smith Wing does extend on back. My overlap seam is over the top spar. I am going to do a red leading edge and On white so the seam will be up out of sight and hidden in the color change. I glued the top on first from the bottoms par around the front and to the bottom edge of the false spar. I glued the bottom sheet from the top spar around the front to the top of false spar giving me my fabric over lay. I put a bed of glue down for each side then did a 3 inch glue to anchor the fabric and did my initial shrink to get the wrinkles out before gluing the rest. I'll do more research on half stitching. Thank you. Greg

All right big boy,,,,let's see how the wings are coming along. You've been silent for two weeks, we want to see your progress!:onfire:

photo (26).JPGphoto (27).JPGphoto (28).JPGphoto (29).JPGphoto (30).JPGphoto (31).JPG
Okay Littlewing here is the update. I have both wings covered and I just finished stitching the right wing this afternoon. I'm moving to stitch the left tomorrow. Stitching is going pretty well. These wing have an extended upper leading edge so there are 4 half stitches on the bottom side. I made a modified needle to get the thread around the rib. It worked well after a little adjusting. I hope to mark my holes and begin stitching the left wing tomorrow. It feels really good to see the progress. I have just tried to stitch 2 or 3 ribs after work everyday. I'll keep trying to get to the finish. That's the update. Have a good week, Greg

Attachments

• photo (26).JPG
    photo (26).JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 134
  • photo (27).JPG
    photo (27).JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 134
  • photo (28).JPG
    photo (28).JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 128
  • photo (29).JPG
    photo (29).JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 139
  • photo (30).JPG
    photo (30).JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 129
  • photo (31).JPG
    photo (31).JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 102
Hey Men, I have 3 of the 15 ribs to stitch done on then second wing and am rapidly approaching laying my tapes and reinforcement patches. I was wondering if Pete or maybe one of you other guys might be able to post a picture of your strut attaching to the wing. I have the aluminum reinforcements from Pearce Aero. I know from Bills posts on his thread the strut sinks up into the wing. My friends Cub Crafters actually has a V made into his wing to create the Gap. Any input is appreciated. Greg

Yes, that must be what David has on the Cubcrafters. It looks like that. I was going to test try these I have. tempdoug if I buy the ones you just posted, do I just press them into the fabric?

Check Bill Rusk's thread. I believe his are the same and he has several pics showing his install. Looked really clean and sharp the way he did it. The thread is titled "Building a Javron Cub" , last page, post #1102. Good luck with it.

Back