• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Greg's Supercub Build

Greg Campbell

Oklahoma
This thread will be about my Supercub build, here is my first attempt at posting pictures. This is my first build, so I may have many questions.
photo-1.PNG

photo-1.PNG

Attachments

• photo-1.PNG
    photo-1.PNG
    573.4 KB · Views: 9,387
  • photo-1.PNG
    photo-1.PNG
    539.5 KB · Views: 9,203
Last edited by a moderator:
Go Greg, can't wait to see it come together. :up

I organized your pictures a little.

Last edited:
OK Greg. Lets git er done. Good to see you here and I am looking forward to this thread.

Bill

Thank You. This Cub is not going to be as light as some of you guys and girls can build. I'm on a budget. I plan to build a solid Cub though. This is my bid to retake the skys in the plane I have grown to love, the Supercub. I wish to thank Nick Smith, David Childs, Bill Rusk, and Steve Pierce for always answering the phone when I have called with my endless questions. I would also like to thank Brian Southard who volunteered his truck and trailer to drive me to Canada to get my project. One more big thank you to all of my friends on this sight who have made me believe it is possible to build your dream plane. A friend Greg

Last edited:
Remember, at least 10 minutes every day! :)

Looking forward to progress updates

Bugs66, I think of your advise you gave me every day. Funny how easily the 10 minutes becomes hours. Ive also used Bills advice on keeping my project close so I can sneak out to the shop here and there to work on it. Thanks

How did you find a sucker to go all the way to Canada and back? That guy ought to be your passenger anytime he asks to go! Lol. It was a good trip.

Im gearing up to run my fuel line. What are some opinions on the the fitting seals. Do I need them if im using new tee fittings? I am also wondering if thread tape or thread seal should be used on the fittings as well? Appreciate your opinions. Greg

tcraft128, I have fuel tube and flaring tool. I bought some of the fitting seals for the fittings in case I needed them. I take it your answer is no on the seals between the tubing and the fittings.. Thanks Greg

Okay. Thank you. I'm trying to research. This last month has given me a whole new admiration for you guys that have been building aircraft for years.

I have a flying Smith SuperCub, is he making kits again? On the fuel fittings, if they are flared fittings no sealant is needed, pipe threads will need sealant.Ron

Ron and 8GCBC, Thank You. Nick just built up this project for me. I had called in responce to a frame repair add. He's mostly into buying and repairing now. He's a great friend and person. Im just going to work at this Cub an get it flying. I want it to be strong and safe, so there are going to be a few questions along the way. Appreciate the knowledge and friends who will answer. Greg

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.PNG
This week I was able to finish up most of the nut plates around the cockpit and run the fuel line. A big thanks to Steve Pierce and Bill Rusk who answered a lot of my questions this week. I am having a little trouble locating the part number for 3/8" inside diameter Nylaflow to insulate the fuel line. If anyone happens to know that part number I would appreciate it, or any other options for insulating that may be available. Lastly, I am planning to make the Graham Aircraft Restoration Clinic in Graham so over the next couple of months I will be trying to build supplies so I can knock out a lot of my todo's on areas of the plane I feel that I lack the knowledge to complete without someone standing over my shoulder. I really want to kick this build in the pants over the winter. Your recommendations are always appreciated, thanks Greg

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 481
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 530
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 458
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 518
  • photo 5.PNG
    photo 5.PNG
    513.3 KB · Views: 584
tcraft128, I have fuel tube and flaring tool. I bought some of the fitting seals for the fittings in case I needed them. I take it your answer is no on the seals between the tubing and the fittings.. Thanks Greg

seems real OLD fittings work great, but I have run into MANY newer(last 15 years?) AN flare fittings in the 3/8" size that are a BI&^h to get to not leak gas... my theory is the flare on fitting is not in line/offset with the threads so it just squeezes on one side of edge more than other.... need to figure out a test rig to measure it...

Looking good!

Might want to paint the v brace and top section of the cockpit black for reflection reasons...

I am having a little trouble locating the part number for 3/8" inside diameter Nylaflow to insulate the fuel line. If anyone happens to know that part number I would appreciate it, or any other options for insulating that may be available.

Just try your local hardware store. They carry a variety of sizes of clear "plastic" tubing. This is what I used for my fuel sight gauges.

Greg go to tractor supply they have all kinds of chemical rated hose and large supply of fittings

Greg

No. The nuts will be just fine without any additional lock tight or lock washers. You can reuse lock nuts as well but after a number of uses (say....10? or so) I would use new ones. After a while I suspect the nylon insert portion must loose its effectiveness but I have no idea when that is.

Bill

Bill, Thank You. I have the front pedals in loosely with the springs on pushing the pedals toward the firewall. I am using a touch of the lithium grease on the pivot points as recommended. I hope to make good progress on the floor items this set of days off. Thanks Greg

Back