Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Greg's Supercub Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Be careful out there with that bird, it is so pretty, don't want to see folks shooting holes in it thinking you are Steve Eaton!

Stay out of farm filed in Idaho!
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditch that metal club and get a Catto, you won't be sorry. How did you get the FAA to do your airworthy inspection?

Post Thanks / Like
    The prop I have is borrowed from Littlewing, it's a cruise prop, When I have the money I will be looking for a good deal on a Catto climb prop that somebody wants to sale because they want the newest version. This prop should be good to break in the fresh overhaul. They are very busy at the Faa I think I just caught them at the right time. He even said my timing for the call couldnt have been better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check with Cubcrafters. I got a used Catto from them and they had a few others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1300.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	25601

I Passed my FAA inspection!!! I built my own airplane!!!! Paperwork finalized mid next week! Thank all of you friends who have helped on this Journey!! I'm going flyin next week.
    Likes Dave Roberts liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Campbell View Post

Name:	IMG_1300.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	25601

I Passed my FAA inspection!!! I built my own airplane!!!! Paperwork finalized mid next week! Thank all of you friends who have helped on this Journey!! I'm going flyin next week.
    Congrats Greg!! You have been quite an inspiration to us that want to head down this road. Thanks for sharing your journey
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to Go, Greg! You and we knew you could do it.

Godspeed to you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously, was there any doubt?!!!!

Cool beans, saw TWO bears next to Kake runway today that need made into sausage... bring your cub!

Post Thanks / Like
    5/20/2016

Ladies and gentlemen,
    It is my distinct pleasure, and honor, to present to you Captain Greg Campbell's first landing in his brand new, and beautiful, Smith Super Cub. Awesome landing Greg!

Special thanks to Bill Rusk, Nick Smith, Mitch and Jonah of Chickasha Wings flight school, Steve Pierce, Tom Ford, Cal, Jerry Witt, dear friends Brian Southard, David Childs and wife Kimmy.

Way to go Greg, your hard work and nearly 4 years of perservernece has finally paid off in spades, what a beautiful plane. Enjoy your new Cub, fly safe and I look forward to seeing you among the clouds. I'm so happy for you!
    Name:  IMG_1377.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  83.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_1295.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  91.3 KB
    Last edited by little wing; 05-21-2016 at 12:49 AM.

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    WAY TO GO GREG!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!

That is the best of the human spirit. Just desire, HARD work, and sacrifice. Well done Greg.

You certainly have my admiration and respect.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, what a journey. Congratulations Greg. Proud to call you my friend.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea Greg, congrats, nice landing

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations anouther member of the Okie Super Cub Airforce takes to the sky!
    Last edited by OLDCROWE; 05-21-2016 at 08:42 AM.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    YAHOO! Congrats, Greg!

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    I was hoping for this news as I was logging in for a quick visit today. Yeah!!!
    Practicing open cockpit extremism

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    very cool! just in time for the last of black bear season!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You Friends. I want to thank my wife for putting up with me the last 3.5 years, actually 4 considering the events leading up to the project. I must thank God foremost. In early November 2011 on a sad evening I was thinking about buy a bent up airplane that a couple of friends an I had owned at auction. That night I prayed to God for a miracle. The next morning I saw an add on barnstormer for frame repair. I called the number and began to talk to the man on the other end. I'm a bit long winded as you guys know. Anyway I was asking how much he would charge if I bought a bent frame to have him straighten it. 5k. Then he said do you know who I am? No. I'm Nick Smith and he began to tell me about his old kit building days. Long story short he new my friend Bill and forward me the project and a great engine as it turns out for cheep. Thank You Nick! Anyway God listened to me that night even though I don't deserve it. I got my miracle along with the help of you hundreds of friends who have stepped in there here and there to push me down the trail. Thank You Friends! To you who might be like me and want to fly, pray and don't ever give up! I have reclaimed the Sky, but I'll share. Very Happy and Blessed Greg clawing4sky Campbell

Post Thanks / Like

congrats

Way to go Buddy! That's a video a lot of well wishing people have been waiting for! Good on ya!

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go Greg!! Fantastic job!!
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg, the entire Supercub.org Medical Matters team passes our sincere congratulations on a difficult job well done. You have kept your eye on the ball, you have perservered and you are now blessed with a beautiful airplane. I am so proud of you, brother. Very proud.

Randy
    Likes MarkS liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    CONGRATS. Greg... way to go...

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Job, Greg!

How does it fly? Give us some details. I don't think I have ever made a landing that smooth… did you re-touch that video?

Post Thanks / Like
    Plane looks great! Super job staying with the long project. Inspiration to all out there involved in a build. Thanks Greg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You. I flew a couple of hours yesterday. Still working to trim just a bit. It is really windy here this week so it has slowed my test program. It is so great flying it though. She feels really good setting up to land. My flap spring is a bit strong, when I pull that last notch, it's really a pull. Hoping it will stretch out a bit so that when I'm dumping the flaps its a little less work. I thought about leaving them extended in the hangar to stretch it a bit. No oil leaks. She's not burning any oil now so I think she's starting to break in. Still plenty of things that can be better, that I will pretty up on those days I'm not flying. Appreciate you guys. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    So I have had my Dad’s password throughout the build, and I want to thank all the people that helped my Dad make his dream a reality. So proud of you Dad! Love Hayden.

This is the video I made for his birthday!
    Likes Dave Roberts, Jim Hann liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Great video Hayden. Thanks for sharing it, your Dad is a special person.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!

Great job Greg and Thank You Hayden. That is a superb video. I love it.

Can't wait to come down there and see my OKC family and see your beautiful Cub.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Friends. Just a short update. I have my 40 test hours complete. As Cal said I'm "Flung From The Nest". I'm free to move about the country! 😎. I really like my Cub. I think it flys like a dove out of Heaven! I have really enjoyed carving up the sky again. Thank You to all of you who were there for me on this build. Have a great week! Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Greg. Come up to Stillwater and see Us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You Monte, I'll have to get up there. It's been a good week. I got to take My wife Kimmie around the patch for the first time and that was great fun. Long overdue! Her Grandfather was an aviator, Cessna Dealer, and flight school owner so many of her early days were spent right in the very hangar I went to ground school in. She has fond memory's working the front desk with her grandmother and her cat named Skycat. I love flying with my girl.

Also our great friend Bill Rusk had an OKC overnight yesterday and was able to come down an put my Cub through the paces. I'm always up for advice when he comes. The greatest thing first though is the he said it is rigged very straight. I guess I got lucky there though. Still feels good to hear.. He gave me of small list of things that I can do to enhance the systems. Gap Seals, Then little stuff, like putting plugs in the tops of the stick for the visuall appearance. The VG's are working good it doesn't stall power off, it just sinks straight and level. It was really a great visit. Thank You for all the Friendship, advice, and knowledge you share with us Bill. I'll try to post a picture or two on here later.

Thats the update, I hope your week is good! Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	pic1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	26999

Name:	pic2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	27000

Name:	pic3.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	27001

Name:	pic4.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	27002

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks

I had a great opportunity to fly Greg's Cub, and I can tell you with no reservation that it flies outstanding. Greg has built a really nice cub that will do everything my cub will do and looks very nice for probably one third the cost. I was quite impressed with the way it flies. Power off stalls are a total non-event, there is no nose break it all, the airplane just starts to sink. Aileron control deep into the stall is excellent and the airplane is rigged beautifully. It flies hands off, and stalls straight ahead in all circumstances. I spun it left and right and recoveries are within 1/4 of a turn to the left. I could not consistently get it to spin to the right. It just self recovers into a high-speed spiral. I am very proud of the work Greg did to build this airplane and I look forward to flying with him in the future on some Idaho or Alaska adventures.

Great job Greg, you built a great flying, and great looking, airplane.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rusk View Post
    Folks

I had a great opportunity to fly Greg's Cub, and I can tell you with no reservation that it flies outstanding. Greg has built a really nice cub that will do everything my cub will do and looks very nice for probably one third the cost. I was quite impressed with the way it flies. Power off stalls are a total non-event, there is no nose break it all, the airplane just starts to sink. Aileron control deep into the stall is excellent and the airplane is rigged beautifully. It flies hands off, and stalls straight ahead in all circumstances. I spun it left and right and recoveries are within 1/4 of a turn to the left. I could not consistently get it to spin to the right. It just self recovers into a high-speed spiral. I am very proud of the work Greg did to build this airplane and I look forward to flying with him in the future on some Idaho or Alaska adventures.

Great job Greg, you built a great flying, and great looking, airplane.

Bill
    Out of interest, what speed are you using for the spin entry Bill?

Thanks,
    Andrew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rusk View Post
    I could not consistently get it to spin to the right. It just self recovers into a high-speed spiral.
    Bill, Do you know what the CG was when you were doing the spins? Your description suggests that you were somewhat forward of the rear limit. Nice job Greg, enjoy!
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MainlandCub View Post
    Out of interest, what speed are you using for the spin entry Bill?

Thanks,
    Andrew.
    Stall plus yaw equals spin.
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	IMG_1277.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	27047

Guys, I'm at work. This is a W/B I had on my phone. It's changed a bit. This one is a work up of my heaviest friend. It gives an idea of my W/B. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Greg, That explains Bill's spiral to the right if he was flying solo. Full up elevator does not have the authority to raise the leading edge of the wing to a high enough angle of attack to get a complete stall which is required to get a clean spin. Had the loaded CG been as your W&B sheet shows, the spins would have not reverted to a steep spiral.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully if I can sometime get a Kato prop I'll lose 30lbs on the nose. I need gap seals too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Campbell View Post
    I need gap seals too.
    Put the money into gasoline.
    N1PA