• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Greg's Supercub Build

cockpit baggage and pullys.JPG
This past couple of weeks I have been concentrating on the cables, pulleys, and pedals. I am going to make a huge effort to get my cub to Graham, Texas for the 8th annual Super cub restoration seminar. More pictures to follow.

Attachments

• cockpit baggage and pullys.JPG
    cockpit baggage and pullys.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 358
cockpit.JPG
I was able to get a lot of the projects in the lower part of the cockpit in the last couple of weeks. I just try to do a little each day, and I am starting to notice that the progress is coming a little quicker now. It's a really good feeling to see it coming together.

Attachments

• cockpit.JPG
    cockpit.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 413
photo(1).PNG
My latest project has been nut plating the seat boards that will eventually have upholstery around them. My nut plating is a little unorthodox here. I reinforced with aluminum and then used very small wood screws to anchor the nut plates. I plan to go back and put a dab of epoxy on each wood screw and then reinforce them to reassure that they will not come out of place. They seem very firm I am only mentioning this because some of you might have objections I am unaware of.

Attachments

• photo(1).PNG
    photo(1).PNG
    513.1 KB · Views: 543
Well, actually I have an OKC overnight in Jan and I'm looking forward to visiting with Greg, Dave, Jeff, and the other OKC guys.......but I AM going to try to make it to the seminar to help, learn, and visit with all you good people. Unfortunately my checkride falls in Feb every year and that always throws a monkey wrench in the seminar thing.

Bill

Greg, enjoyed seeing you and your Super Cub 2B at Graham. It's going to be a great ride for you. The ride to get it built and then "The Ride". Wish I could be there for it. Take care and God bless!

Rick Durham

Last edited:
Rick, thank you for all your help and support this week. I'll keep plugging away on it until next Sunday. I'll post a couple of pictures of the progress on Sunday or Monday. If you get a chance fly the Pacer up later in the week, that would be cool. I really enjoyed hanging with you and all our friends. Have a blessed day, Greg

Will Do DW, Just trying to get it closer to covering. It's slow progress but greatly accelerated with all the advice and cool tools that Steve and all the other guys have helped me with. Just got to the track for some racing. :). Goin to the Front!! Greg

photo.JPG
I got a lot of important work done at Graham last week. This morning I decided to get up and test fit the engine with the help of family and friends.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 378
Any time you can hang the engine it feels good...looks like a lot of progress Greg it won't be long now.

Looks great Greg. You've made great progress since the beginning of the seminar at Graham! keep the enthusiasm. Jon

Thank You Tom, Bill, Jon and DW. Christian told me to do 10 minutes a day. I do my 10 minutes rain or shine. Cal said he knows how I feel, I feel some times like I'm missing all the flying. I got up this morning a little bit in a rut, I like building but sometimes the feeling of just wanting to go fly just bums me out. Christian, I got out and did my 10, Anyway I put the engine on and it just really lifted my spirits. I think I might try to fit the cowling now, should be comical, I have this fancy rivet gun and I'm not sure if I know how to use it. I'll try to post a picture of it if it goes well. I appreciate your friendships. Greg

Wow Greg, nice progress! You got it right, keep going at this pace and next thing you know it is time for first flight. :up

Even if that 10 min. is just cleaning up the hanger your still moving closer to that first flight.

I remember being 50% done with 75% to go :) Then a bud would buzz the shop & I wanted so bad to go! I changed that depressing feeling into motivation & kept taking the next of all those steps. Most days were really enjoyable, but there WERE those days ......
Enjoy, as best you can the process, someday you'll be really proud!

Thank you guys. I made good progress on my interior panels in the front and down the right side of the cockpit today. I really appreciate you guys who post your projects. It has really helps me. I also appreciate my friend flymore who has been nice enough to give me a key to his hangar so that I can look in at his flying plane for a reference. Ill get it done. You guys have a good week. Greg

Keep looking at any project you can. Plagiarize the hell out of any good ideas. Speaking of that, check the carbon cub guys...good ideas behind the scenes like fuel lines, etc. take all the pics you can from as many angles as possible. For example routing engine controls, or elec lines. Use someone who been there before. Good luck, always forward.

Yeah, if you work really fast, you'll beat Cafi!! :) :)

Hey Folks, I was talking to Jay with Javron Yesturday. He gave me some information that might be useful for some weight savings on your Cubs. He is selling The wing tip lighting fixtures for Experimental Supercubs. He said the lights he has also come equipped with the backward facing white light that can eliminate the need for a fixture on the rudder. Im a bit of a greenhorn on this stuff, so do your own investigation. If there are any guys out there who like to push the Easy Button Jay at Javron with his packaged and listed hardware has been a huge time and money saver for me. "Great People" Just passing on what I can hope this helps you as many have helped me. Greg

Is this what you are talking about? http://kestrobes.com/AllLED.htm
ledcombo-2.jpg

I have these on my Cub.

Skywagon8a, How many wires did you run out to the tips? I have 3 running out there. I havnt covered yet so I could add another... Thx Greg

Back