Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Greg's Supercub Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg, THAT WAS TERRIFIC! Wow, you are such a DUDE! Thanks for the update.

I am so happy for you. Congratulations.

I can't wait to go for a ride with you.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations, Greg! What a sweet post, Sir!

Very, very proud of you. Thanks for sharing the good news!

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go Buddy! Wallow in the success, then on toward the finish line. Proud of your accomplishments. Looking forward to the first flight vid. Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Greg! Can't wait to see/hear how first flight goes...

Nelson

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Congratulations Greg!

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1099.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	25286

Friends, Taxied her and the engine ran much smoother after putting new plugs in. I had little to no spark when I tested the old ones, even after gapping and cleaning them. I'm starting to wrap my head around the FAA paperwork. I have been able to get some help figuring the paper work out from my friend. Getting Closer. Weight and Balance Next. Thats the update for those who are interested. Have a good weekend Greg
    Likes overactor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You. Friends, I have a question. First Time Builder. I was reading the EAA Step by Step certificate guide that I just ubtained. "Mistake"... I did reserve my N number a month or so ago. I have not mailed my Aircraft Registration in yet with the 5 dollars. I just read in the EAA guide it is recommended to mail it 90 to 120 days in advance of the airworthiness inspection... If I have to wait it out I will . My question is will FAA inspector still ispection with the pink copy if the permanent registration is not issued. Would appreciate your educated thoughts. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg,
    I don't have a direct answer to your question as some hopefully will, but when I did mine ten years ago, the DAR was very helpful and specific about how he wanted the paperwork done. It worked out very well and quickly by following his guidance.

Very excited for you!
    Mark
    Practicing open cockpit extremism

Post Thanks / Like
    I expedited my paperwork by using a title company (can't remember there name but can get it if you want it). They charged 125.00 but it was done 2 days after they received all my information through Fedex overnight. It was worth not having to wait in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the same. My company was AIC Title Service. Very nice to work with.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to do a scratch registration earlier this year due to a techinal glitch with the US Post office (my renewal went to Mars and never came back) and the fix with AIC took 3 weeks. While they don't speed the process they do make sure it's done properly.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDCROWE View Post
    I had to do a scratch registration earlier this year due to a techinal glitch with the US Post office (my renewal went to Mars and never came back) and the fix with AIC took 3 weeks. While they don't speed the process they do make sure it's done properly.
    Huh. I got mine (temporary cert for border crossing) 2 or 3 days after they got my registration in the mail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
    Huh. I got mine (temporary cert for border crossing) 2 or 3 days after they got my registration in the mail.
    Let a reregistration lapse by 30 days (they never got it) and it requires a complete new registration to get back into the system, I was told it is the same as a new with a reserved N number.
    Last edited by OLDCROWE; 04-23-2016 at 06:03 PM.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    AIC, Thank You, if you wouldn't mind posting there contact? I would really hope to be test flying by early May. I would love to make OK18. I am trying to resign myself to catching a ride there. Steve's law is not to put a date on it. Would still love to make that awesome flyin. Still if I don't I would hope I would be cruising the prairie around here anyway. Hopeful. I appreciate you guys for responding, it helps allot! Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.aictitle.com/
    Practicing open cockpit extremism

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You, that is only 4 miles from my work at Kokc. Thank You. I hope I some how gain the experience and can play it forward like you guys have. A friend Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    If you work in Oke City, why don't you just walk in the front door of the FAA's office and talk to the secretary? Call on the phone first. They have usually been very cooperative when engaged on the telephone.
    Last edited by skywagon8a; 04-24-2016 at 05:29 AM.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    If you work in Oke City, why don't you just walk in the front door of the FAA's office and talk to the secretary? Call on the phone first. They have usually been very cooperative when engaged on the telephone.
    I know the Portland me FSDO wants you to make an appointment first. No walk in's. That's what they told me when they screwed up my IA paperwork.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I went up there to get a registration form a week or so ago after talking to Bill and realizing I was only supposed to put the X on the planes number and no where else. It was lunch time, the guy that answered the door was cordial but I don't think he liked walk ups even though I called the number on the door. The secretary was probly at lunch I assume. I just thought I'd avoid that in the future. I will try the title company tomorrow. I hate the paperwork. It's not my thing. Probly shouldn't post this but It's honest and at least two of you are wondering. I want to fly so I'll get through it sooner or later. I'm on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to fly this plane. I want to be pilot in command. I built the plane I want to fly. My friend Jerry the senior Tail Wheel instructor told me she's ready to fly. Through allot of prayer God helped me in my eyes turn out what I had dreamed of years ago. I will get through this part just like all the rest! This time should be fun, I should be on top of the world, I'm not. If it were easy everybody would do it I guess. It will be epic when I am burning up the sky!

Post Thanks / Like
    Update, I called Aictitle. They were very informative and easy to deal with. I am going to hand deliver the registration. Aic said it would push right through. Relieved on this end. Thanks for all the advice. I'll slow the posts down and give you guys a break for a while now. Have a good week. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't slow the posts down! Keep us informed please!!
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    I talked to my DAR in January. His first question was where was I on the paperwork. I told him I had the EAA packet. He told me Minnesota has some MIDO/FSDO specific forms and got me in touch with the office and got the forms. He told me the registration has to be in hand before he could do anything else and the FAA is taking 6-8 weeks. Registration came today right at 8 weeks. (I used a reserved tail number) I wish I knew about the expedite process.

Jake

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I probly post my feelings to much. Anyway for those that are interested. I went to AIC today. They were a bit surprised to see a walk up, even though I had called In advance. They were some good people. Janell helped me, What a nice experience. I have already received an email posting that the FAA had received my paperwork and it was in process. Janell said my plane would be registered in three days, just as Marcus had mention. What a relief and a big boost on the motivation. I went right over and went to work on my plane. My Friend Littlewing came over and help me today. You guys know it's always a lift when a close bud comes by to help out. Littlewing said I might get a check out from a couple of friends and IA / slash supercub legends in my eyes, in a couple of weeks. Anyway Thats what I have, I'll keep plugging. Thank you to you guys that keep me going. A friend Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Just this morning I ran into one of the local CFIs and asked how it was going. He said he was grounded waiting for his registration to come back that was way overdue. He told me that Oak City is overwhelmed with drone registrations. Anyone heard this?

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably most of them are SJ's...

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	IMG_1033.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	278.7 KB 
ID:	25351Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1163.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	270.6 KB 
ID:	25352

She's Ready to Rumble!!
    Likes HuntSkiBikeFly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The DAR may want to see a compass correction card. Make one even if it isn't accurate.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Friends, I have my temporary registration. AICtitle produced just as promised. Moving to weight and balance as soon as I can. Have a good weekend. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Friends, Still trying to get it weighed, will make another attempt tomorrow if the Wx and Mitch is around, if not I'll try again Monday, I wanted to get the fuel out for weight and balance so I did my static run up test and then drain the fuel out. I got 2350 on the run. Mitch was watching and said it sounded real good. Still no oil leaks. I won't run it again until the test flight since the engine needs breakin. Still hopeful to make ok18 the end of May. Have a good weekend, Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	IMG_1206.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	25399Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1220.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	25400Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1225-1.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	25401Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1226.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	25402Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1227.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	25403Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1228.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	25404Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5555.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	25405

Friends, I weighed it today, I included a couple of pictures from the other days run up. It weighed 1273, I was hoping for under 12 but it'll fly they say. I didn't work on the cg stuff because we had a tornado impacting the area, So as soon as we got it off the scales we shut down and got out of there. We are all safe now. That's the update. Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Great news buddy. That is a beautiful airplane! You have come this far safely and with alot of thought, don't get in a hurry! You're almost there, take a big breath and finish her up! We sure are proud of your accommplishments. Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mitch my friend the IA came today to help me with the CG, he said he was thinking one main shouldn't weigh 60 pounds more than the other.... He wanted me to weigh the plane again. The little tick marks indicated on the scale we were recording the tail and one main together then readding the tail again. I also should of taken the two thick stacks of cub plans out of the seat. Never get in a hurry even if a twister is coming, note to self. Long story long the Cub came in at 1197 lbs... I got my goal after all. Note you don't want me weighing your plane! Happy here! Greg
    Last edited by Greg Campbell; 04-30-2016 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Sierra Hotel Greg!
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work, Greg!

Post Thanks / Like
    Friends, Airworthiness Inpection on Tuesday with The Federal Aviation Administration, it's been a very pleasant experience so far. "Probably All The Praying I've Been Doing". Could be flyin by Friday. Keeping you in the loop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats. Greg
    Glad to hear the long journey is almost over.... and a new one begins.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You Dennis, I hope to see you at A flyin out West In the coming years. Good times ahead!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done a little searching online. Does anybody have a good example of a test program you could post on here. Thank You Greg