• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Engine mount repair

Helmetfire

FRIEND
Caldwell, Texas
Hey all,

I'm looking for a good source for some work on a 150 engine mount. While taking the engine off for overhaul, mechanic said that the mount "doesn't fit right" and might need to be straightened up in a jig. I'll get to look at it today and find out exactly what's wrong but in the mean time, any experience you guys have with this is appreciated.

Where would be the best place to send the mount?

Or am I better off sourcing a new/good used/overhauled unit?

thanks!!

A new from Univair is 610 dollars and if you catch there sale this winter if they have one or at oskosh they sometimes have 10 percent off. thats new.

It might not be the engine mount but, as cubunltd hinted, the firewall mount points geometry. This problem is not uncommon if a bent airframe was repaired without a jig. Don't know what the solution is, though.

Like Mike said, FA Dodge. Just had mine done there, 4 new tubes, fresh powder coat and a little more welding was $505 and very well done.

OE

Thanks guys,

mechanic said it didn't fit right on the engine side. I looked at the mount but couldn't see any obvious deformities, but the engine case is out for overhaul so I couldn't really compare the two together.

Just got off the phone with FAD, they said no problem for the repair, but would probably be close to a month turnaround with all the shipping (CA-AK). They sell a new powder coated mount for $635...he said I might save a couple hundred going the repair route. With the shipping hassles and time, I might just buy a new one.

my mech says he called a guy in Placerville that can overhaul the mount but charges around $950

I am having Wag Aero Fab build me a new mount as we speak. Ask for John.

Best of luck with that. Aero Fabricators at Wag has yet to build me something that fit. The engine mount they built for me wasn't even close. It fit the engine. It also fit the firewall. But the mount had roughly 10* down thrust built into it. Just a bit excessive even compared to the original Piper mount with 4* down thrust. I spent 2 days cutting it apart and rebuilding it. The Cub exhaust they built for me also wasn't even close. No way could you actually mount it to an engine. That's not to say I haven't had some good interactions with Wag. But their welding shop has issues.

-CubBuilder

These engine mounts are not as rigid as a ring mount used on big radials. If you have a firewall-to-engine misalignment and bolt the mount to the engine first, the firewall mount points won't align. And if you bolt the mount to the firewall first, then the mount to engine casing won't align. Can you borrow a mount just to try? Hate to see you blow $$$ just to find out it's not your mount. (been there, done that)

Maybe if there is a schematic or blueprints I could use to measure the firewall mounts to make sure they are correct?? How else would you check that without fitting up the engine mount (which is questionable to begin with)??

I have a new Univair p/n U12351-015 in the shop. I'll take a few measurements and post them. For the fuselage, I think Northland's CD has all the dimensions, but it could be hard to measure yours precisely enough without laser equipment. Also, what do you do if your firewall mounting point(s) is/are off? That's the part I don't know. Maybe Mr. Pierce can help with that.

you sure the mount is actually BENT?? not just a mechanic expecting it to fit perfect..... used cub mounts are can be fun to fit.....

I have a new Univair p/n U12351-015 in the shop. I'll take a few measurements and post them. For the fuselage, I think Northland's CD has all the dimensions, but it could be hard to measure yours precisely enough without laser equipment. Also, what do you do if your firewall mounting point(s) is/are off? That's the part I don't know. Maybe Mr. Pierce can help with that.

thanks! I would think if its "close" we could at least rule out a bent frame

you sure the mount is actually BENT?? not just a mechanic expecting it to fit perfect..... used cub mounts are can be fun to fit.....

i was wondering if this might be the case, maybe it's normal to have to "persuade" the mount in its place....but I'll defer to your apparent experience! I always thought that with a conical mount it would be best to attach the mount to the engine first, then attach to frame...but have VERY little actual experience with this, just seems better in my feeble mind

This is what I measured. If you remove your engine mount anyway, you could compare. PA-18-mount.jpg

Attachments

• PA-18-mount.jpg
    PA-18-mount.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 126
Back