• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What's my engine worth, just suppose.

captainron55746

Hibbing, Minnesota
Just suppose someone was considering putting a Texas O-550 in the 180 on floats with the new engine mount and Black Mac prop, just suppose. I, er they, couldn't use the O-470 for a core. What could a guy sell the prop-engine-mount package for? Details are 1976 O-470S in a J model 180. 88" McCauley seaplane prop less than 50 since overhaul and new prop governor. Less than 500 hours on engine since major. Engine is balanced and blueprinted with 2000 total time and is as smooth as silk. No problems or issues with the engine. Engine went 100 hours over TBO on first run without any internal work or top end service which is not typical for bush operations on floats wheels and skiis. I was told I have a good one and not to let it get away from me. I could use the extra power on floats. The total cost for a project like this will depend on what I can get for my package if I decide to do that. Thoughts?

Captain Ron

Texas Skyways will take into consideration whether or not you trade in an engine when they quote you a price.

I would be interested in your as removed package. I have been looking for this exact set up for my 74 J model.

Call if you like (303) 521-3238 Brandon

We never really got an answer on this and I'm really interested to know as we are still weighing our options.
We have a great engine, but would love some more HP on floats. Any ideas or ball park figures would be great.

We never really got an answer on this and I'm really interested to know as we are still weighing our options.
We have a great engine, but would love some more HP on floats. Any ideas or ball park figures would be great.

I am interested in hearing about how a Texas Skyways O-550 beats out a PPONK 470-50 in the cost/benefit analysis. Did you guys compare the two, and if so, what were the determining factors?
BigRenna on backcountrypilots.org just went through this process of selling his 180's O470 in order to fund purchase of a 520 core and necessary pieces for the PPonk 470-50 STC conversion.

I am interested in hearing about how a Texas Skyways O-550 beats out a PPONK 470-50 in the cost/benefit analysis.....

I saw a C180 wioth a Texas Skyways 520 conversion for sale a while back, had 1500+ hours on the engine but was advertised as "mid time".
Seller told me that TS claims a 2500 hour (?) TBO.
That may be so, but IMHO 1500+ hours is pretty high time regardless.

I am interested in hearing about how a Texas Skyways O-550 beats out a PPONK 470-50 in the cost/benefit analysis. Did you guys compare the two, and if so, what were the determining factors?
BigRenna on backcountrypilots.org just went through this process of selling his 180's O470 in order to fund purchase of a 520 core and necessary pieces for the PPonk 470-50 STC conversion.

My dad posted the original post. I'm not sure what exactly his thoughts were. In doing my own research I believe I'd chose to go with PPONK for several reasons.
the main question is what could I get approx. for my engine/prop? trying to get an idea so I can mentally and financially prepare for a PPONK if it all makes sense to do.

Back