• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Accident in Valley City, ND

mvivion

SPONSOR
Bozeman,MT
A terrible aircraft accident occurred this afternoon at Valley City, North Dakota. One of two flying Super Corsairs crashed, and the pilot was killed. Authorities have not released the name of the pilot yet, but anyone familiar with that aircraft will know who was flying it, and what a great loss to the warbird community this is.

Here is a preliminary news release: http://www.newsdakota.com/2012/09/07/breaking-pilot-dies-in-airplane-crash-at-barnes-county-airport/

Blue skys and tailwinds, and prayers for the family......

Latest update, Robert Odegaard has been identified as the pilot of the Super Corsair, and was killed in the accident: http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/68603/

A terrible loss to aviation. Robert was truly one of the ambassadors for aviation, and a kind and gentle man.

Mike

Last edited:
According to news reports the plane was Odegaard's #57 (red & white), not #74 (blue & white).

According to news reports the plane was Odegaard's #57 (red & white), not #74 (blue & white).

It was the blue one for sure as seen in the pics. I must have spent over and hour talking with BOB at KOSH this year about everything from the Corsair to flying the Aero Commander and flying DC-3's. He has a -3 that I used to fly. It is a sad day for sure and at least he died doing what he loved and not rotting in a hospital like my late father who would have loved to flown a Corsair...

Brandon

He has been flying the #74 recently, and it appears in the pictures to be blue and white.

I don't think he has been flying the #57 much since he sold it.

Still in shock over this, I just spoke to Bob at a flyin last week.

While I don't pretend to be a photographer of Sarah Dickinson's or Patrick Fox's caliber, here is a photo I took at Oshkosh a number of years ago. The red and white aircraft was Bob Odegaard's #57.
IMG_9989enh.jpg

I am so sorry for the losses here. My condolences to his family and friends.

Randy

Attachments

• IMG_9989enh.jpg
    IMG_9989enh.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 163
Robert O.JPG

Robert at the controls of Duggy-The Smile in the Sky

IMG_0888.JPG

Test Run on the P & W 4360 in the Super Corsair Race 74.

IMG_0868.JPG

Robert in cockpit, son Casey with extinguisher, P & W 4360 singing

IMG_0434.JPG

Captain Odegaard (far left) pre flight briefing, Duggy

Welcome Aboard.JPG

Boarding Duggy for a tour.

A true gentleman, and the quintessential professional aviator.

He will be missed by many.

Mike

Attachments

• Robert O.JPG
    Robert O.JPG
    517.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0888.JPG
    IMG_0888.JPG
    889.8 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0868.JPG
    IMG_0868.JPG
    936.7 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0434.JPG
    IMG_0434.JPG
    505.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Welcome Aboard.JPG
    Welcome Aboard.JPG
    1,012.4 KB · Views: 180
I met Robert when I was weathered one dreary day in North Dakota while in traveling in the cub. I'll never forget being taken care of like a lost sheep.

Blue skys!

Back